Independent 7,773/Dac

Posted by Ali on September 14th, 2011

Ali.

Dac doing what Dac does best. This was a cracking crossword and I challenge anyone to find a bad (or even so-so) clue in this puzzle!

1 MODIFY – FIDO rev. in MY
9 CENTIMES – C(opyright) + EN + TIMES
9 GNOME – Double def.
10 PAPER-THIN – PERTH IN PAIN
11 ICE PLANTS – N(ational) T(rust) in (SPECIAL)*
12 WOODS – DO in SOW rev.
13 PAINT YOUR WAGON – (GROUP IN A WAY NOT)*
16 PULLED A FAST ONE – PULLED A F(emale) + A (Rolling) STONE
20 REMUS – M(illions) in (SURE)*
22 TRIERACRH – TRIER (judge) + ARCH (cunning)
23 TRAGEDIAN – (RADA GENT, I)*
24 ON AIR – O(ld) + N(ew) AIR (tune)
25 ROAD RAGE – GARDA in E(nglish) OR (soldiers) rev.
26 CONSUL – CONSUL[-t]
1 MAGGIE – EIGG + A.M rev
2 DROSERA – Hidden in wilD ROSE RAmbler
3 FREELANCE – FREE (complimentary) + C(ollege) in LANE (course)
5 EXPOSTULATION – (TAX ON OIL UP SET)*
6 THROW – Double def.
7 MAHJONG – HAM rev. + JO-[INI]NG
8 SING SING – SING (hymn) x 2
10 PENNY FARTHING – PENNY + FARTHING (coppers)
14 WATER POLO – PO (officer) in WATERLO[-o]
15 OPERATOR – ORATOR about P[-rivate] E[-nterprise]
17 LAMBADA – LAMA suppressing BAD
18 NORMANS – NORM (standard) ANS(wer)
19 CHORAL – CH(urch) + ORAL
21 SPEAR – E (point) in SPAR (fight)

9 Responses to “Independent 7,773/Dac”

1. flashling says:

No complaints having finished, just that I personally found this one tough to crack open, looking back I can’t see why, just one of those days I guess. There’s no hard clues just ones you don’t know the answer to I guess. 13 Pant??

2. NealH says:

I thought this was Dac on excellent form today and really enjoyed all the clues. 1 down, 10 down, 16 and the brilliantly apt 12 were top notch.

I agree, Ali, it was a fine puzzle, but it took me ages to get going with it as well. PENNY FARTHING was good, as was PULLED A FAST ONE. I still don’t understand SING SING – I know ‘pen’ is ‘prison’, but how can ‘hymn’ equal SING rather than SONG? One’s a noun and one’s a verb, no? I know the clue won’t be faulty, because it’s Dac, but I can’t see it, so if someone doesn’t mind explaining, I’d be much obliged.

4. Ali says:

Yep, I probably should have mentioned that it also took me quite a while to break into this one. Definitely on the tough side for Dac.

K’s D – Chambers gives HYMN as both noun and a (transitive) verb.

Pant at 13A duly corrected too, cheers!

5. flashling says:

Not sure KD , prison bit , yeah ok – I guess it’s you sing songs/hymns bit weak IMHO but fair enough and getable. Well ok I don’t think it’s one of Dac’s best. Good grief, a complaint about a DAC clue?? Had to happen eventually …

6. scchua says:

Thanks Ali and Dac.

This was a breeze after today’s Paul, but just as enjoyable.

Great surfaces. Especially the suggestive 16A PULLED A FAST ONE which was my entree, and the &lit 23A TRAGEDIAN, with seldom seen use of the Academy’s complete acronym.

Thanks, Ali – never come across the verbal use of HYMN before.

8. nmsindy says:

A fine puzzle, accessible, totally fair. MAGGIE was esp good and was my last answer. I have to disagree with the criticism of hymn = sing as, apart from Chambers quoted above, both the Concise OED and Collins give the verbal sense. Many thanks, Ali, and Dac.

9. timon says:

Glad I wasn’t alone [nmsindy@8] in struggling over 1D, have to confess I didn’t get it or 9A but had no access to references, though I now see it is a very fair clue. Gnome as “maxim” a new one on me. Managed to eek out the rest of the puzzle over a few days – excellent cryptic sustenance while away from the UK.