Posted by Pete Maclean on September 15th, 2011
Prize puzzle from the Weekend FT of September 3
A good, fairly standard puzzle from Mudd this week. My top clues here are 12A (TWIN) and 8D (NUTMEG).
1. DEPART – EP (record) in DART (race)
4. SAUCEPAN – SAUCE (impertinence) + PAN (criticise)
10. POTTAGE – OTT (ridiculous — i.e. over the top) in PAGE (messenger)
11. CRUMPET – double definition. This took me a while as I do not think of crumpet as a breakfast food (but more something for afternoon tea).
12. TWIN – W (double-U) in TIN (preserved?)
13. INORDINATE – anagram of A RENDITION
16. COGENT – GEN (information) in COT (sleeping like a baby)
17. PEANUTS – double definition
20. CHOPPER – cryptic definition. I think I have seen this clue before.
21. DRY ROT – TORY (politician) + RD (way) all backwards
24. UNDERSTAND – anagram of REDUNDANT [worker]S
25. FAIR – double definition
27. BLAGGER – B[andits] + LAGGER (person behind)
29. MARTINI – MARTIN (boy) + I (one)
30. BROWN ALE – BROW (edge) + ELAN (dash) backwards
31. SWANKY – WAN (white) in SKY (blue)
1. DIPSTICK – DIPS (lowers) + TICK (credit)
2. POTTING SHED – POTTING (sinking, as in snooker) + SHED (abandoned)
3. ROAN – O (ring) in RAN (galloped)
5. ACCURSED – R (right) in ACCUSED (defendant)
6. CAUTIONARY – anagram of YOU AINT CAR
7. POP – palindrome (which may be lifted)
8. NUTMEG – NUT (fan) + MEG (girl)
9. PENNY – double definition. A clever combination of idioms but a rather easy clue.
14. ALTERNATION – N (indefinite number) in ALTERATION (shift). For me, this was the most difficult clue.
15. SNAPDRAGON – SNAP (that matches) + DRAGON (monster)
18. PECTORAL – anagram of CLEAR TOP
19. ETERNITY – TERN (sea bird) in anagram of YETI
22. HUBBUB – HUBB[y] (short spouse) + U[gly] B[rute]
23. ENEMY – hidden word
26. DRAW – double definition
28. SAGO – [s]AGO (skimmed milk pudding). I believe this dish is usually called sago pudding, not just sago, but I do think simply ‘sago’ is sufficient.