Posted by Pete Maclean on September 22nd, 2011
Prize puzzle from the Weekend FT of September 10
Cincinnus is back with some fine clues in this puzzle. There are, however, aspects of wordplay in two clues (17A and 7D) that I am not crazy about and one definition that is a little rough (1A). My favourites are 13A (MARJORAM), 10A (BRAVE NEW WORLD) and 20D (HERRING).
1. APPOINT – A (a) + P (quiet) + POINT (MOMENT). The cryptic definition here is clever but awkward since “appoint” is transitive while “get the post sorted” is not.
5. ASSESS – ASSES (wazzocks) + S (singular). I had to look up “wazzocks”. I cannot recall ever hearing the word used.
8. GESTATION – EG (say) backwards + STATION (Waterloo?)
9. AD LIB – reverse hidden words
11. OVERT – OVER (in the past) + T (tense)
12. ABYSSINIA – ABYSS (great hole) + IN (in) + I (one) + A[wesome]
13. MARJORAM – MARJOR[ie] (girl that is missing) + AM (before lunch)
15. TISSUE – T[abloids] + ISSUE (publish)
17. REMEDY – REME (soldiers) + D[a]Y (rejecting a 24-hour). Do we like this last part? “24 hour rejecting a” would work well (as does “girl that is missing” in 13) but I hold some reservation about having the rejecting part first.
19. BUCKSHEE – BUCK (male) + SHE (female) + E (energy)
22. COCK-A-HOOP – COCK (put up) + A (a) + HOOP (band)
23. SCREW – double definition
24. NONET – NONE (nobody) + T (time)
25. SPRINGIER – anagram of RESPIRING
26. TETRAD – T[erribl]E + TRAD (jazz)
28. EMERGED – [ter]M in DEGREE (aim of student) reversed
1. ANGLO-AMERICAN – anagram of AN ORGANIC MEAL
2. PASTEUR – PASTE (stick) + UR (primitive)
3. INAPT – anagram of A PINT. “Inept” is more common but “inapt” is also a good word and has a slightly different meaning. Both mean unfit but “inept” carries a connotation of foolishness.
4. TRIMARAN – TRIM (shipshape) + A (area) + RAN (managed)
5. ANNOYS – homophone (“a noise”)
6. SLAPSTICK – PALS (friends) backwards + STICK (put up with)
7. SILENUS – SILE[nt] (mum almost) + [b]US. I had to look up this one: Silenus was the old rustic Greek god of the dance of the wine-press.
10. BRAVE NEW WORLD – anagram of DRAW NOVEL BREW
14. OLD MASTER – double definition
16. CUTPURSE – CUT (share) + PURSE (contract, as with lips)
18. MYCENAE – anagram of ME[r]CENA[r]Y
20. HERRING – [fis]H + ERRING (wrong)
21. MOSSAD – MOS (Missouri’s) + SAD (blue)
23. SINGE – hidden word