Independent 7783 by Punk

Posted by nmsindy on September 26th, 2011

nmsindy.

Gentle, enjoyable Monday puzzle from Punk, a very skilled clue-writer indeed.    Found it quite easy and was esp impressed to get words that were unknown to me from the clear wordplay.

Solving time, 23 mins.

* = anagram

ACROSS

1   LIGHT ALE    “lie tale”

9 HEAD-ON   He a Don

10 TONSIL HOCKEY     (only it chokes)*    New phrase to me but easily gettable from the clear anagram.    Amusing surface.

11 SULPHATE      reject ‘and’ = reverse ‘plus’     hate = be repulsed by

12 ISLE     hidden in Paisley

14 PARTICULAR    Double definition

15 COMMODE     ref:  Mods and Rockers from 1960s summer beaches.   Mod in Come.

17  ATTEMPT     Definition:   go    at (towards) tempt (bait)

20 BINGO WINGS   New to me, this.    Dict says extra folds of skin visible when arm is raised eg when claiming full house at Bingo.    Bing (Crosby) owing    s = shilling = 5p  (both 1/20th of £)

22 HUTU      HUT  U

23 ATROPINE   (protein a)*

24 CICADA    cad (heel) in CIA

26 POLISH   Double definition

27  NORSEMAN    Refers to ‘No man is an island’  (Donne)   rose (rebelled) less o (nothing) in ‘no man’

DOWN

1  BIRO    rib reversed over O  (The Ring)

2 CHASTE    definition:  pure    c (cocaine)   haste    ref ‘more haste, less speed’   pun on ‘speed’  = drug

3 GALLOPED    gal    loped

4  BERSERK      odd-placed letters in sherry ie ser contained in berk (fool) .     Definition:  mad

5  CHILLI      chill (cold)     I (one)

6 CATHOUSE      US and Canadian usage says dict, new to me but again v gettable tho it was my last answer.    thou = you in case (investigation)

7 POSTMAN PAT    pat = gentle hit

13 SPOLIATION    spoon = kiss and cuddle   containing   I  tail (end) reversed (= up)    definition: stripping

16 MAGNOLIA   g  (good)  no (certainly not) in Mali (country)   a

18 TEST CARD    (detracts)*  with a v suitable anagram indicator ‘broadcast’

19 ANTENNA    ten in Anna

21 DEAD WEIGHT    Spoonerism of  ‘Wed date’

11 Responses to “Independent 7783 by Punk”

1. malc95 says:

Aaah – Thanks nms,

I had DESSERT i.e. “fool” at 4d, but couldn’t see why – now I know!
    Thanks also to Punk for lots of LOLs.

Thanks for the blog, nmsindy, and Punk for a great puzzle.

Having miserably failed to spot an anagram in my Rufus blog today, may I redeem myself slightly by pointing out that in 7dn POSTMAN is an anagram of STAMP ON? ;-)

3. crypticsue says:

Very enjoyable, thank you to Punk. A great puzzle with lots of fun – I did laugh at 10/22 and 20a. Thanks to nmsindy too.

4. NealH says:

I didn’t spot the anagram in 7 down and was thinking that man must mean stamp in some context. In fairness, there isn’t a clear-cut anagram indicator apart from “with letters”. Other than that, it was fairly straightfoward, except for spoliation which I had to puzzle over for quite some time.

Hi NealH

Re 7dn; I didn’t take the anagram indicator as being ‘with letters': I read it as PAT with ‘STAMP ON’ letters.

6. NealH says:

Eileen,

I think that’s what I meant. However, there is nothing to indicate that the letters have to be rearranged.

7. nmsindy says:

Yes, I missed that anagram in POSTMAN PAT – just thought the stamp referred to the postman – amazing that ‘stamp on’ is an anagram of postman. Looking at the clue again it says “with stamp on letters”. I think this is a totally fair indication telling the solvers to use those letters (in some order).

Many thanks for the blog, nms. A fine puzzle, with some smiley moments and clever clueing. SPOLIATION was the only new word to me. I’d vaguely heard of TONSIL HOCKEY, but put in BINGO WINGS just from the enumeration (must be the company I keep).

Thanks to Punk for the fun.

9. flashling says:

Quite enjoyed this apart from not getting 13d, some lovely trademark punk/paul sauciness. Did wonder if the income bit would raise a comment but seemed fair enough to me.

10. Wil Ransome says:

Good as usual from Punk. In my primness I was only vaguely aware of the term tonsil hockey, and had never heard of bingo wings. I had only one slight misgiving: to polish (26ac) isn’t really the same thing as to clean — in fact when you polish something you often make it rather dirtier, with all that stuff you put on to make it shine.

11. Allan_C says:

Not quite as gentle as some Monday offerings but got there in the end. Held up on the NE corner thinking 5d was ‘stolen’ (= hot), though I couldn’t make the rest of the clue fit – doh!
    ‘Cathouse’ new to me also; wonder if someone might be in the doghouse if his visit to the cathouse was discovered?