Independent 7,787/Phi

Posted by Ali on September 30th, 2011

Ali.

If you went looking for the Indy puzzle online this morning or tried to download it using a mobile app (as I did), you may well have found a Glowworm puzzle, or absolutely nothing. I was a bit flummoxed by the odd number of the online puzzle, so decided to grab a copy of the paper just in case. Looks like there was an error online (now corrected I see), as it was of course a Phi.

Top stuff it was too. Took me a while to break into it, but everything slotted together perfectly once it did. Good to learn a couple of new words (GREYWACKE and CORNELIAN) and loved the cheeky use of ‘in Congress’ for AT IT in 5D!

1/6 TERRACOTTA ARMY – (ART TRY CAMERA TO)*
10 PIPETTE – PETT[-y] in PIE
11 TICKING – Cryptic def.
12 CORNELIAN – N(ote) in CORE + NAIL rev.
13 IDAHO – O (love) + HAD (deluded) + 1 rev.
14 LOBAR – LO (see) + BAR (lawyers)
15 EXCALIBUR – X (cross) in RUB + I L(eft) + ACE rev.
17 GREYWACKE – (KEY CRAG WE)*
20 SITES – SET IS rev.
21 TRILL – T[-h(enry)]RILL
23 ACHIEVER – 1 in ACHE + VERSE[-e]
25 UPSPEAK – [-c(college)]UP’S PEAK
26 CADENZA – C(ontralto) + A(lot) + DEN + [-berlio]Z + [-smeatan]A
27/28 BEEF WELLINGTON – BEEF + W(ith) + ELLINGTON
1 TOPIC TO P(ressure) I C[-oncede]
2 REPARABLE – RE: PARABLE
3 AS THE CROW FLIES – (FORECASTS WHILE)*
4 ONE-TIME – MITE in ENO rev.
5 TITANIC – C(onservative) + I N(ote) + AT IT rev.
9 ACHILLES TENDON – (CONTAINED SHELL)*
14 LIGHTBULB – LIGHT + BLUB rev.
16 BUTTERNUT – B[-lackcurrant] + UTTER NUT
18 CRACKLE – CRACK + LE[-g]
19 ETHICAL – HIC in ET AL
22 ISSUE – IS SURE less R[-eporters]
24 SPAIN – S(outhern) + PAIN

5 Responses to “Independent 7,787/Phi”

Thanks, Ali.

I too started the online puzzle this morning before realising that it wasn’t right because of the numbering. I’m guessing glowworm will be the IoS prize puzzle for this weekend, which given that the ‘reveal’ button was available, wouldn’t be ideal.

Might just be me, but this was the hardest Friday Phi I’ve done for a while. Looking at your explanations (which actually I didn’t need today) I can’t see why now. I sussed the anagram fodder for 1ac but couldn’t work it out for love nor money; it was my last one in. GREYWACKE and CORNELIAN were unfamiliar, but I’ve no excuse for struggling with the rest.

YOGHOURT is one of those words that has a number of different spellings, like POPPADUM.

Thanks to Phi for the usual dose of Friday enjoyment.

2. nmsindy says:

Yes, this was good as always from Phi. My favourites were ACHIEVERS, REPARABLE and YOGHOURTS. Thanks for the blog, Ali. I think there’s a double definition element in TICKING with the two meanings but I guess you could say it was cryptic too with the pun on ‘ticking’.

3. NealH says:

I didn’t notice the numbering of the Glowworm puzzle, so did all of that before coming here only to find I needed to start again with Phi.

I found it quite tricky to get going with this. Although clues like 17 were quite easy to decode, it was hard to get until you had quite a number of crossing letters because of the unfamiliarity of the word. I’d never heard of tick as meaning a cover for a pillow or mattress – it gives a whole new meaning to saying “my bed’s covered with ticks”.

4. Wil Ransome says:

Usual good stuff from Phi. I agree with you, K’s D, more difficult than you expect from him. The usual Phi classical musical references, so perhaps this will act as a counterweight to pop themes, which some would say are more than occasional in the Indy crossword. The pop enthusiasts are I suppose entitled to moan about the classical music references, even though I am very much on Phi’s “side”.

5. Allan_C says:

As of Saturday afternoon the blog seems to have lost the answers to 7d and 8d.

Thought we were getting another pangram, but in the end no J or Q.