Everyman No. 3391 (25th September)

Posted by The Trafites on October 2nd, 2011

The Trafites.

Lorraine:  Good morning to you all.

Thank you Everyman for the varied and interesting anagrams this week. I thoroughly enjoyed this weeks offering, 24ac was one of my favourites but they are all too numerous to mention. Many thanks to Nick for working out 13ac for me, I got the answer from checking letters, but could not parse the clue; thanks Nick.

Big thank you to Everyman and keep puzzling.

1. Casino I broke in a Mediterranean capital (7)
NICOSIA (CASINO I)*
5. Strong emotion shown by Oasis playing in outskirts of Preston (7)
PASSION (OASIS*) in P[resto]N
9. Little action in clubs, say (5,4)
MINOR SUIT CD
10. Girl, a long time penning note (5)
AGNES AGES around N
11. Last of Beaujolais wine in jar (5)
SHOCK [beaujolai]S+HOCK
12. Pay back in rupees one in Burmese resort (9)
REIMBURSE R[upees]+(I in (BURMESE*))
13. A motoring offence within the borders of Shepperton? (6-7)
DOUBLE-PARKING cryptic hidden abbrieviation: PP(parking twice!) appears in shePPerton!
hard to define what sort of clue this is!
17. Aware of article and short note, most recent (2-2-3-6)
UP-TO-THE-MINUTE UPTO+THE+MINUTE
18. Fruit’s popular ammunition (9)
GRAPESHOT GRAPES+HOT[popular]
21. Steed outside close to Gale (5)
HORSE HORS[outside]+[gal]E
23. Wilhelm’s OK after port wine (5)
RIOJA JA(german yes) after RIO
24. Cut eating stoned fruit, so cry (4,1,4)
SHED A TEAR SHEAR around DATE
25. Shorten a card game (7)
ABRIDGE A+BRIDGE
26. Withdraw a score (7)
SCRATCH dd
1. Identifies northern sights on the radio (5)
NAMES N+homophone of AIMS
2. Pact made by US state capital, at last (9)
CONCORDAT CONCORD+AT
3. Song from a musical, “Let’s Get The Show On The Road”? (6,2,3,4)
STRIKE UP THE BAND cd
4. Answer question on amazing allure involving English watercolour painting (9)
AQUARELLE A+Q+(ALLURE+E*)
5. Dish of boiled tripe (5)
PETRI (TRIPE)*
6. Song in Groucho’s bar, remarkably clean (11,4)
SCARBOROUGH FAIR (GROUCHOS BAR*)+FAIR
7. Victor letting drop wife’s secret (5)
INNER [w]INNER
8. Gets gen confused about Society and savings (4,4)
NEST EGGS S in (GETS GEN*)
14. A waste of time, like the team that always loses? (9)
POINTLESS cd
maybe not quite correct – some games the winner has the lowest ‘points’
15. Seriously trendy boy’s name, reportedly (2,7)
IN EARNEST IN[trendy]+homophone of ERNEST
16. Country record includes opening of “Love Song” (8)
BULGARIA (L[ove] in BUG[record])+ARIA
19. Love affair starts to annoy many of us (5)
AMOUR A[nnoy]+M[any]+OUR[of us]
20. Hospital teas prepared with speed (5)
HASTE H+(TEAS*)
22. Some near this planet (5)
EARTH hidden: nEAR THis

7 Responses to “Everyman No. 3391 (25th September)”

1. Bamberger says:

Mostly straightforward -though faced with 2d and c?n?o?d?t, I guessed concordat and wondered what the supersonic aircraft had to do with a US state capital. Not a US state capital I ever recall encoutering.
    Thanks for explaining 13a I couldn’t see the relevance of Shepperton. Thought it might have something to do with being on the Thames or having the Pinewood Studios.
    5d Had to be Petri but can’t say I’ve come across it.

2. Davy says:

Concord is the capital of New Hampshire although I had to look it up.

Quite an easy Everyman I found (aren’t they all supposed to be easy !).

Favourite clues were DOUBLE PARKING, RIOJA (excellent surface) and especially SCARBOROUGH FAIR for the brilliant “Groucho’s bar” anagram. I live near Scarborough and they don’t have a Groucho’s Bar which is a shame.

Thanks, Lorraine.

Usual good puzzle from Everyman. I liked SHED A TEAR and MINOR SUIT particularly. I too had to look twice at DOUBLE-PARKING, but smiled when I saw what it was.

Still not sure exactly how STRIKE UP THE BAND works. I know it’s a song from the musical of the same name, but is the second half of the clue a definition of it?

4. scchua says:

Thanks Lorraine, and Everyman.

Pretty straighforward. I too liked 13A DOUBLE PARKING.
    Hi K’sDad, as for STRIKE UP THE BAND – I believe it’s used as a phrase to indicate “let’s start the performance” or “let’s get the show on the road”. Which makes it a double defn. I guess. Interesting fact, also, that the song was satirical about war and militaristic music, the “band” in this case being a military one, and the “performance”/”show” was war.

5. Tom Willis says:

Was nobody else thrown by the typo in 1d? It began INDENTIFIES in the paper which left me thinking it might be ‘notch’ once I had the first letter.

Hi Tom. I always do the paper version, and must admit I didn’t spot the typo – and of course it’s now gone for recycling. Probably just looked at the clue, thought I read it as ‘identifies’, and put in the answer.

7. Jan says:

Thanks, Lorraine.

Tom, it had indentifies online as well and like K’s Dad I never even noticed until you mentioned it!

I did not see the PP in Shepperton. Like Bamberger I could only think of the film studios and thought it suggested parking for (stunt) doubles.