Everyman No. 3393 (9th October)

Posted by The Trafites on October 16th, 2011

The Trafites.

Lorraine:  Good morning to you all and thanks for visiting todays blog.

I loved this weeks crossword with lots of lovely well rounded and clever clues. My favourite was 8dn – very clever in my view.

Big thank you to Everyman for a wonderful Sunday morning solve.

1. Sailor provided following list of charges (6)
TARIFF TAR+IF+F[ollowing]
4. Unprepared, out of form defender (3,5)
OFF GUARD OFF+GUARD
9. Think logically about a disciple (6)
REASON RE+A+SON
10. Shoot a destructive animal in a place on the Danube (8)
BUDAPEST BUD+A+PEST
12. Soldier to leave Royal Artillery by end of August (6,3)
DESERT RAT DESERT+RA+[augus]T
13. Two conclude second of diamonds must be discarded (5)
DEUCE DE[d]UCE
at first glance this clue appears incorrect as ‘second of diamonds’=i, but in this instance it means to remove the second  ‘d’ from ‘deduce’
14. They may be rung after a match (7,5)
WEDDING BELLS cd
18. Piece of music from Monteverdi – it’s orchestrated (12)
DIVERTIMENTO (MONTEVERDI IT)*
21. One visiting clubs wearing good topper? (5)
ICING I+C+IN[wearing]+G
22. Couple hold up director (9)
HITCHCOCK HITCH+COCK(hold up, as in ‘cock one’s hat’)
24. Companion has forty winks, audibly, after second drink (8)
SCHNAPPS (CH[companion of honour]+[homophone of]NAPPS) after S
25. Key article about king in dock (6)
MARINA R in (MAIN A)
26. Mental view of yes men I’d sacked (5,3)
MINDS EYE (YES MEN I’D)*
27. Pelted in street by only daughter (6)
STONED ST+ONE+D
1. Refuse to become depressed (4,4)
TURN DOWN TURN+DOWN
2. Piece of music playing in spa/hydro (8)
RHAPSODY (SPA/HYDRO)*
3. Stump in ground (5)
FLOOR cdd
5. The press article supporting quartet, say (6,6)
FOURTH ESTATE (THE after FOUR)+STATE[say]
6. Chief to harshly criticise bridge contract (5,4)
GRAND SLAM GRAND+SLAM
7. A place where event is held, broad tree-lined street (6)
AVENUE A+VENUE
8. How could I appear in the other case? (6)
DOTTED i !
what a clever clue!
11. Set off mildly drunk, and aggressively belligerent in attitude (7-5)
TRIGGER-HAPPY TRIGGER+HAPPY
15. Muscovite lives in Georgia’s capital with girl (9)
ISINGLASS IS+IN+G+LASS
16. Going home ahead of former Poet Laureate (2,6)
IN MOTION IN+[andrew]MOTION
17. Weed garden in US naval establishment (8)
DOCKYARD DOCK[weed]+YARD(US garden)
19. Lower price of Chinese dish (3,3)
DIM SUM DIM+SUM
20. Almost tipped drink over husband’s leg (4,2)
NIGH ON (GIN<)+H+ON(leg=on(side) in cricket)
23. Enthusiasm shown in the article (5)
HEART hidden: tHE ARTicle

7 Responses to “Everyman No. 3393 (9th October)”

1. crosser says:

Many thanks, Lorraine. I needed your help parsing 13a, and I didn’t even manage to solve 8d which is a lovely clue!

Thanks, Lorraine. You can put me down as another one who couldn’t solve 8dn. It is a very good clue, though, and I seem to remember Everyman using ‘I’ similarly a while ago with I for ‘Iodine’ being the clever bit then.

Enjoyable puzzle.

3. Wolfie says:

Thanks for the blog Lorraine.

Yes, this was a lovely crossword from Everyman with the usual smooth surfaces. Nothing too taxing though it took a while for the penny to drop with 8d, and I needed the dictionary to check that ‘Muscovite’ could be a synonym for ‘isinglass’.

4. Davy says:

Thanks Lorraine,

I found this far more difficult than the usual Everyman and it took me a good few hours to complete. Interestingly, I looked on the AnswerBank to see how many questions had been raised about this puzzle and it was sixteen. This compares to five for the previous week. A big difference !.

The last two in, which took me ages to get, were DOTTED and NIGH ON.

As usual, there were loads of good, misleading clues of which I liked TARIFF, SCHNAPPS, MARINA, FOURTH ESTATE, TRIGGER HAPPY, ISINGLASS (very clever) and IN MOTION.

Thanks Everyman for a great puzzle.

5. Robi says:

Good puzzle, I echo the applause for DOTTED, which caused a smile when I got it.

Thanks, Lorraine for a good blog. I didn’t know the ISINGLASS=muscovite without help from the dictionary. I particularly liked the ‘almost tipped drink over husband’s leg’ surface.

6. timbo says:

24a forty winks is a ‘nap’ not a ‘naps’.
    15d muscovite is NOT the same isinglass – one is organic, the other a mineral.
    While there were some nice clues I thought others were sloppily constructed

7. The Trafites says:

Forty winks can, and as used here, be inferred as pural.

Nick