Independent 7801 by Quixote

Posted by nmsindy on October 17th, 2011

nmsindy.

Pleasing puzzle in Quixote’s normal style.      Solving time, 26 mins.

* = anagram

ACROSS

1   DEMOCRAT     come reversed in drat

5  ST IVES     Port in Cornwall    I’ve after t (time) in SS (steamship)

9 CRUISES     u (university) in crises (critical situations)

10 DOMINIC     mini (car) in Doc (GP).     Pun on GP (Grand Prix).    Definition:  male

11 TABLES A MOTION    (some battalion)*

13 ALLOCATION    all (everyone)   vocation (calling) less v (leader = 1st letter).    Definition:  helping

15 PAIR     p (quiet – from music)   air (look)

17 RAVE       brave less b (heading = 1st letter)

18 GOBI  DESERT      go (travel)   bid (offer)   (trees)*

20 ALLEN GINSBERG    (rebelling sang)*      Came to prominence in the 1960s and apparently coined the phrase ‘flower power’.

23 ELEMENT     This refers to the periodic table of chemical elements in which  He = Helium and I = Iodine

24 AVARICE     Ava (girl’s name)   Tim Rice (lyricist)   Definition:   a desire too great

25 SIT-INS     It (Italian vermouth) in sins

26 DECEASED   decreased (diminished) less  r (last letter in vigour)       Definition:  passed on

DOWN

1  DACE      dance = ball with its middle letter removed.   pun on ball

2 MOUNT    mountebank  (old word for a swindler) less E bank

3 CASHBACK     Johnny Cash (country singer)   back (out of retirement).   Service in supermarkets where you can get cash if paying by debit card

4 ABSTENTIONIST    (isn’t obstinate)*

6 TOM-TOM      Boy (Tom) repeatedly ie twice.    Definition:  What’s played by drummer

7 VENTILATE    v (very)   (inlet)*  at  e (end of office ie its last letter)

8 SECOND-RATE   second (back ie support)  rate (have a go at ie criticise)

10 DIATONIC SCALE   (an old ascetic I)*

12 LAY READERS   (dreary sale)*

14 LOVELIEST   lo (behold)   Eli (priest) in vest (garment)

16 SEWERAGE      My last answer    SE (England) = prosperous region   we (you and I)   rage (get very cross)   definition:  mucky stuff

19 ANDEAN    referring to Andes mountains in South America      an (article)  dean (member of the faculty)

21 GAINS   gas (fuel) around in (home)

22 LEWD   le (the in French) wd = outside letters of world  (totally heartless)

14 Responses to “Independent 7801 by Quixote”

1. Conrad Cork says:

Re 16 down. Sewerage is the pipework that carries the mucky stuff (sewage) not the mucky stuff itself.

2. Bamberger says:

Struth 26 mins! Got nowhere with this.
    1a I thought the expression of annoyance was “demo” and couldn’t work out where the crat came from.
    20a I knew it was an anagram of rebelling sang but didn’t have enough checking letters to get anywhere near -and if you’d told me the first word was allen, I’d have been thinking allen who?

As usual with a Don puzzle hard to fault the clues but doesn’t mean they are easy to solve.

3. Quixote says:

Thanks for review. Conrad has Chambers and OED against his assertion.

4. mhl says:

Thanks for the post, nmsindy, and thanks to Quixote for an excellent puzzle – impeccable clues as ever. I normally find Quixote’s puzzles very difficult, so I was happy to get through all but three clues here in about 20 minutes.

That said, I wish I had some better mental tricks for dealing with those final few clues in a puzzle – it seems that very often I get stuck with 1 to 3 clues left, and even though their construction and vocabulary is no harder than the rest of the clues, I end up giving up…

5. crypticsue says:

mhl @4 – have you tried what I call ‘cogitation’. If you put the puzzle down and do something else for at least half an hour and then return, you will usually find that the cryptic grey matter has mulled it over while you aren’t consciously thinking about the puzzle, and all will soon fall into place.

That’s the method I used to get this Quixote finished off.

Thanks, nms. I never pay much attention to how long it takes me to solve a puzzle, but I reckon I was finished in under half an hour this morning. Just seemed to flow nicely, with a fairly generous grid giving you plenty of starting letters.

Specially liked the clever anagram for TABLES A MOTION, and ELEMENT. As for SEWERAGE, Quixote’s right in that dictionaries give the two words as equivalent, but my latest SOED marks it as ‘rare’. I’m with Conrad in that I think most careful writers would make the distinction that he outlines.

Good puzzle, thank you.

There’s a Nimrod in the Indy i today, which answers the question someone asked a bit ago about whether these are recycled puzzles. This one clearly wasn’t, since 14ac is:

The i crossword compilers get turned over, pocketing zero money (3)

One way of asking for a pay rise, I suppose.

7. Pelham Barton says:

Thanks Quixote for an enjoyable puzzle and nms for the blog.

16dn was my last clue in. Even if you will not insist that sewerage relates to the pipes not to their content, the pipes are not going to stay clean for long once they are in use, so “mucky stuff” is a good enough definition for me.

8. Pelham Barton says:

Sorry – something went wrong in editing my comment @7. I meant “Even if you insist …”.

9. Tokyocolin says:

Thanks nms and Quixote. Like K’s D I don’t pay much attention to how long a puzzle takes and I don’t rush, I pause to savour a smooth surface or a clever clue. But this took no more than 30 mins. The last few came at once as the crossing letters framed the options.

I have to endorse Conrad’s quibble. The two words exist with separate meanings for a good reason. The fact that many people get it wrong and a couple of dictionaries acknowledge the fact doesn’t make it right to mix them up. This is the dirty version of the regular infer/imply debate.

10. Quixote says:

I can’t let you get away with this. Dictionaries reflect usage and while you may regret the lack of distinction the dictionaries are what we go by. I hold up my hand when I make mistakes (as I do) but your quibble against the setter is plain wrong. I actually remember looking this up in Chambers. And OED is not just one of a couple of (implicitly) third-rate dictionaries — you can check out te quotations for yourself. There’s more on this topic, curiously, on the Crossword Centre board.

11. nmsindy says:

Re comment at #9, I entirely agree re not rushing puzzles, and I never approach them in ‘race-the-clock’ mode. I did find it of interest tho to note solving times, esp to compare the setters, whose puzzles vary quite a bit in difficulty. Quixote would be very much at the easier end of the Indy spectrum.

12. hounddog says:

Relatively quick for me. Probably 25 minutes or so, which was unfortunate as I’ve just spent a couple of hours in a hospital waiting room. Why is that the easier puzzles always seem to come up when I have all the time in the world but when I’ve only got a half-hour to spare it’s inevitably an absolute stinker?

I did like the clue for ‘element’

13. flashling says:

Another quick solve for me probably about 15 minutes judging by where the train had got to… I’m sure tomorrow’s will be tougher after the Eimi last week.

@K’sD #6 I’m fairly sure that they’re all recycled but it’s probable Eimi does some minor editing to ensure there’s no glaring date or day issues or a tweak like replacing Indy with i.

Cheers Don for the puzzle and NMS for the blog.

14. Chalicea says:

With regard to the comment made by Kathryn’s dad (no 6 above) concerning the Indy clue. One of the Indy people told me a rather gentle joke:
    Q: Why did you take your Indy cheque to the bank?
    A: Because it is too little to go by itself.