Financial Times 13,836 /Styx

Posted by Gaufrid on October 28th, 2011

Gaufrid.

This would have been a very quick solve had I not confidently entered ‘track’ at 12ac on my first pass through the clues only to change it to ‘trace’ when I solved 3dn. Still wrong as 1dn then proved to be impossible so it was time to think again.

1 TACKLERS TACK (veer) L (left) R (right) in [t]ES[t]
5 ENAMEL NAME (character) in EL (the Spanish)
9 ADELAIDE LED (directed) A reversed AIDE (embassy worker)
10 BREAST [spea]R in BEAST (savage)
12 CHASE double def.
13 CORRECTOR COR (my) RECTOR (minister)
14 MISSAL MISS (leave out) A L (large)
16 SWINGER S (small) WINGER (player on field)
19 DANDIES DAN (proficient fighter) DIES (passes)
21 KOSHER KO (final blow) SHE (female) R (right)
23 LIMELIGHT LIME (fruit) LIGHT (weighing less than expected)
25 LUNCH L[a]UNCH (introduction of a new product, not including a)
26 THRONE R (king) ON (working) in THE (article) &lit
27 CHAPLAIN CHA[t] PLAIN (ordinary)
28 RESIST hidden in ‘bookstoRES IS Tough’
29 INTEGERS G[irl] in *(entries)

1 THATCH T[he] HATCH (small door)
2 CREMATION cryptic def.
3 LEAVE LEAVE[n] (large quantity of yeast, for example)
4 RADICAL C (carbon) in RADIAL (composition of tyre)
6 NURSERIES RUN reversed SERIES (forth?) – one of the definitions in Chambers for ‘forth’ is “in continuation” but I’m not sure that this adequately equates with ‘series’ since the former is an adverb and the latter a noun.
7 MEANT MEAN (average) T (temperature)
8 LITERARY *(RETRIAL) [testimony]Y
11 IRIS I (one) RIS[e] (pruned wax)
15 SKI-PLANES SKIP (avoid) LANES (transport routes)
17 GREENGAGE GRE[w] ENGAGE (reserve)
18 IDOLATER I (one) DO (party) LATER (after)
20 SAGA A GAS (great) reversed
21 KITCHEN KIT (outfit) C (caught) HEN (bird)
22 THINKS THIN (delicate) K[is]S
24 MARKS double def.
25 LAPSE L (left) APSE (section of church)

6 Responses to “Financial Times 13,836 /Styx”

Thanks, Gaufrid.

I read 6dn as NUR [run back] + SERIES [run forth]

2. Pelham Barton says:

Thanks Styx for the puzzle and Gaufrid for the blog. Favourite clue 26ac. I had 6dn the same as Eileen @1.

12ac: This highlights a problem with double definition clues. In fact, the intended meaning is my preferred type, with two genuinely different meanings of the word given under separate headwords in Chambers. In the 1998 edition which I have to hand as I am typing this, “Follow” is under chase[1] and “groove” under chase[3]. However, as Gaufrid says in his preamble, TRACE and TRACK (and also TRAIL) are plausible (though less satisfying) alternatives.

Note: I am using square brackets to represent superscripts. Is there an easy way of putting superscripts directly into a comment?

3. Sil van den Hoek says:

I enjoyed this Styx very much.
    Even simple clues like 7d (MEANT), 16ac (SWINGER) and 28ac (RESIST) read so well.
    Most of the cluing was not complicated, yet very thoughtfully worded – extremely elegant, in my opinion.
    For some reason, I did not like ADELAIDE (9ac), but smiled at THRONE (26ac).
    Maybe THATCH (1d) was my Clue of the Day, because it could just as well have been “a material” around T plus S[mall], giving a word for ‘door’. Which was what I thought for a while.

Well done, Styx!
    Many thanks, Gaudfrid.

BTW, is (in 23ac) LIGHT really “weighing less than expected”?

4. Gaufrid says:

Hi Eileen
    An interesting thought re 6dn and one which I hadn’t considered.

Hi Pelham
    Yes, you can use superscripts in comments if you have a separate numeric keypad on your keyboard. Make sure the Num Lock is on. Holding down the Alt key whilst entering 251 on the keypad gives you ¹, 253 gives ² and 252 ³.

I’ve no idea why the originators didn’t make it easier to remember by reversing 253 and 252.

5. Gaufrid says:

Hi Sil
    In Chambers, definition 2 under ‘light’ is “of incorrectly low weight” so I was happy with the ‘weighing less than expected’.

6. Pelham Barton says:

Thanks Gaufrid @4. I shall try to make sure that the information sticks (Styx) in my mind, and the (quite deliberate) pun will remind me where to look if it does not.