Financial Times 13,831 by Cincinnus

Posted by Pete Maclean on November 3rd, 2011

Pete Maclean.

Prize puzzle from the Weekend FT of October 22

I dashed off the last Cincinnus puzzle in this slot in 20 minutes. This one I had to work on over the course of two days. The number-one clue here surely has to be 16A (THOREAU) while I also especially like 1A (IMPOSING) and 23A (ROUSE).

1. IMPOSING – “I’m posing” (claim for a working model)
5. RANCID – RAN C.I.D. (was police chief)
9. FOREMOST – anagram of ROMEOS in FT (this paper)
10. BOTTOM – double definition
12. RIOJA – RIO (port) + JA (agreement in Berlin)
13. EXEMPLARY – EXE (flower) + P[ai]L in MARY (girl)
14. FILLET – FILLE (girl in Quebec) + T (time)
16. THOREAU – anagram of AUTHOR E[ssayist]. Does this count as an &lit? Thoreau was certainly an essayist but was he primarily an essayist? I do not know enough about him to be sure.
18. WHINGER – [matc]H in WINGER (footballer)
20. TISANE – T[hat] + IS (is) + AN (an) + E[ye]. I originally saw this as a hidden word that did not quite work!
22. LEASTWISE – LEAST WISE (most injudicious)
23. ROUSE – anagram of SOUR + [finn]E[gans]
24. ORISON – S (small) in ORION (heavenly figure)
25. PALMETTO – anagram of TOT MAPLE
26. SENATE – anagram of EAST EN[d]
27. LYNX-EYED – homophone (“link side”). I have been called “eagle-eyed” myself but don’t recall ever hearing the term “lynx-eyed” so found this one tough.

1. INFIRM – IN FIRM (member of company)
2. PERSONIFICATION – anagram of PIANO IF NICE SORT
3. SAMBA – SAM (pianist in film) + BA[nd]. Referring to Casablanca (“play it again, Sam”).
4. NASCENT – [carnatio]N + A (a) + SCENT (bouquet)
6. AMORPHOUS – P (quiet) + H (husband) in AMOROUS (loving)
7. COTTAGE INDUSTRY – anagram of REACTING TO STUDY
8. DUMMY RUN – DUMMY (pacifier) + RUN (go)
11. FELT – hidden word
15. LIGHTS OUT – double definition
17. SWALLOWS – W (with) in SALLOWS (trees)
19. RUIN – [b]RUIN (bear doesn’t start)
20. THERAPY – RAP (knock) in THEY (people in general). This one eluded me for a long time!
21. SECOND – double definition
24. REMIX – M (millions) + I (one) together in REX (king)

6 Responses to “Financial Times 13,831 by Cincinnus”

1. Sil van den Hoek says:

This was indeed not a 20-minutes-crossword, but good it was.
    Splendid surfaces as ever, a real delight.

In my notes I wrote re 20ac: “also a hidden”.
    That is because I saw TISANE as: T (that, at first) + IS AN + E (eye-opener, ie the first letter of ‘eye’).

Thanks Pete, and Cincinnus for an exceptionally good puzzle (methought).

2. Pete Maclean says:

Ah, that’s much better. Thank you, Sil.

3. Bamberger says:

The electronic helpers were brought on stream much earlier than usual and even with them found it very hard, tisane, orison, palmetto and lynx eyed all being unknowns.

Thanks for the blog

4. Pete Maclean says:

Hi Bamberger, TISANE and PALMETTO were very well known to me. I had come across ORISON before but still had to look it up to check. LYNX-EYED as I mentioned was a complete unknown to me too.

5. John Newman says:

Thanks as always Pete. I got it out but it took me twice as many days as you. Well perhaps I didn’t get it out because although 17D had to be swallows I couldn’t understand the clue. Why I don’t learn anymore is beyond me. There was the use of W for With the other day. I completely missed it here.

I thought 23A (rouse) one of the best I have seen for a long time. I suppose because I spent a day or more researching Finnegan’s Wake until the penny dropped.

6. Pete Maclean says:

Ah, yes, I looked up the list of characters in Finnegan’s Wake on Wikipedia before the penny dropped for me!