Independent 7,826/Eimi

Posted by Ali on November 15th, 2011

Ali.

Well, there was a lot going on here. Some nice topical references to protestors and world events, a nod to the setter’s football team of choice, a pangram, and lots of very nice clues. A very enjoyable solve all round.

8 LICENSE – ICEN[-i] in LSE
11 SPUR OF THE MOMENT – Double/cryptic def. – Such are the perks of being the editor, I’ll bet that Eimi wrote this clue with a placeholder for the name. 3 goals in the last 2 Premier League outings and Gareth Bale gets the nod!
12 SCREEN TEST – TE (note) in SCREEN (wall) St(reet)
13 KEEL – Hidden in duKE ELlington
16 ANDEAN – A N(ew) DEAN
17 THE LAW – (WEALTH)*
21 ECHT – E.C.T outside H(ospital)
23/9 NINETY-NINE PER CENT – (ENTIRE CITY PENNED IN)* less D(etective) I(nspector), around N(oon)
25 A BARREL OF LAUGHS – (LABOURER HAS FLAG)*
7 STET – STET[-son]
10 RIOT – RIO + T[-erry]
14 LAWYERS WIG – LAWYER + SWIG
15 CHRYSALIS – (HAS LYRICS)*
18 LYING LOW – (WILL YO[-u]NG)*
19 FIELDER – FI[-g] + ELDER
20 HEIFETZ – HE + IF + E.T + Z(ulu)
22 HEARTS – Double def.
24 IRAQ – RA (artist) in I.Q
25 AJAR – A JAR

12 Responses to “Independent 7,826/Eimi”

1. nmsindy says:

Yes, this was quite easy and enjoyable, I thought, with fairly straightforward clues for the unfamiliar (to me) words. Thanks, Ali and eimi.

2. Pelham Barton says:

Thanks eimi for a pleasantly straightforward puzzle and Ali for the blog. The reasonably easy cluing compensates for the 3/7 and 4/9 cross-checking.

The grid almost splits in half, with quite long joins between the two halves, but again there is a compensating factor in the additional join given by 23ac/9ac.

I failed to get 14dn, but have no complaint on reading the answer – this together with 1dn and 3dn has the feature I like in charade-type clues for two (or more) word answers in that the building blocks of the charade cross the word break(s) in the answer.

Very slight moan about 13ac: the answer was obvious enough, but the word “composition” appears to be redundant in the cryptic meaning. Some word was needed for the surface reading, and the best alternative I can think of it “turn”, which could have been taken as a second definition: Chambers 1998 gives keel¹ vt or vi to turn keel upwards. It is a matter of taste whether redundant words matter in “hidden” clues, and I am not claiming that my suggestion is necessarily better.

Important note relating to the above paragraph: I am not claiming the ability to produce whole crosswords to the standard of Eimi or any other compiler.

3. Stella Heath says:

Thanks Ali and Eimi for an enjoyable solve. It’s nice to see the Spurs mented, though I’m completely out of touch here. It’s good to know we have a champion scorer in the team :)

BTW, you’re missing the last two letters in your parsing of 3d: – AX = “cut” (US spelling)

4. Wanderer says:

I found this one of the most enjoyable crosswords I’ve done in weeks. Topical, clever, funny, everything I look for in a puzzle. Not the hardest, but certainly one of the best. Didn’t know KEEL=COOL so that’s something new for me as well. Many thanks to Ali and Eimi, and Eimi, is there any chance we could see your work more often?

5. eimi says:

Thanks to Ali and others for their comments. Wanderer #5, thanks especially for your question. Fellow Indy setters will know that financial rewards are not much of motivating factor, but knowing that your efforts are appreciated means a great deal. I’ve been snowed under with admin as a result of having to format puzzles for i in addition to the Indies, as well as tweaks brought about by the Indy redesign, so that I didn’t set anything for 15 weeks, but I’ve set a few recently and if there’s a demand for more Eimis I’ll try to make time to set them.

To answer Pelham #2, the original clue was simply “Some Duke Ellington? Cool, or it used to be” – as I might say I’m going to play “some Duke Ellington” – but I thought the addition of ‘composition’ might improve the clue, with the cryptic justification that KEEL is part of the composition of the name Duke Ellington.

6. eimi says:

I meant Wanderer #4. And Stella #3, our boys are going rather well at the moment and, if we can keep our manager out of hospital/chokey, I think we have a good chance of being back in the Champions League next season.

Enjoyed this one. Bit of footie, bit of politics, bit of general knowledge. What was the setter’s name again?

I’m not going to choose a favourite, because there’s such a variety in the clues today. Good all round puzzle.

Pangram? Didn’t even notice.

Not another fifteen weeks before the next one, please.

Apologies to Ali, I forgot to say thank you for blogging.

9. Pelham Barton says:

eimi @5 re 13ac: Thanks for that. I agree that adding “composition” improved the clue, and find your explanation of the cryptic justification entirely convincing. One of the great things about this website is that I think most of us on it are prepared to change our views in response to reasoned explanation, and this is certainly a case of that.

I should like to add my support to the views of others that more crosswords from you would be most welcome, when you can spare the time from your editing duties.

10. Allan_C says:

A nice straightforward solve for a Tuesday and I spotted the pangram this time. A few answers were obvious even though I didn’t quite follow the clues. The alternative name for the shaggy cap was new to me but quickly confirmed from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coprinus_comatus
    Thanks, eimi and Ali.
    Btw, anyone wanting another eimi puzzle could try getting hold of last Friday’s i.

11. flashling says:

Many thanks to Ali for the blog, and Eimi for an easier than expected crossword where the wordplay gave away rare words, although I was stuck for a while on AJAR. Presumably Eimi is salaried as the editor and him having a slot is taking a pittance out of the mouths of other starving setters?

12. Polly says:

flashling@11: You must be unfamiliar with the popular riddle of my 1950s childhood: Q. When is a door not a door? A. When it’s ajar.