Posted by Pete Maclean on November 17th, 2011
Prize puzzle from the Weekend FT of November 5
Here’s another fine although uncharacteristic puzzle from Cincinnus. I especially like 1A (DICTION), 19A (MOPED), 5D (BATES), 7D (VAGUE) and 17D (APPLIANCE). And I missed something in 4D (NIGHTBIRD).
1. DICTION – DICTION[aries] (unsigned reference books)
5. BEHAVES – H[oly] + AV (Bible – i.e. Authorised Version) both in BEES (workers)
9. ALTOS – hidden word
10. GETTING ON – double/cryptic definition
11. THE STATES – ESTATE (country property) replace ‘I’ in THIS (this)
12. SPEKE – homophone (“speak”)
13. CLIMB – C (Conservative) + LIMB (member)
15. INQUORATE – anagram of NEAR QUITO. I did not know the word “inquorate” but guessed the answer was some word with the same root as “quorum”.
18. ALEXANDRA – ALEXANDR[i]A (where many Egyptians are ignoring one)
19. MOPED – MOP[p]ED
21. ACT UP – double definition
23. MUTTERING – UTTER (say) in MING (China)
25. HARDLINER – HARD LINE[s] (commiseration not quite) + R (right)
26. FENCE – double definition
27. DROPS IN – “drop sin” (be a reformed character)
28. YONKERS – ER (British leading lady) in YONKS (a long time). I wonder how many Brits know of Yonkers — I suspect not all Americans know of the place. I happen to be very familiar with it as it was the birthplace of the great love of my life. In case you don’t know, it is a suburb of New York City.
1. DRASTIC – [summe]R + ASTI (wine) both in DC (president’s place). While working in “last of summer wine” is jolly clever, I think that otherwise this clue is a bit weak — especially in cluing DC in this way.
2. CATHERINE – anagram of TEACHER IN
3. INSET – IN (popular) + SET (group)
4. NIGHTBIRD – NIGH (almost) + T[he] + BIRD???. Assuming this answer is right — and I can see no other — what clues BIRD? Seems it must be “time” but I don’t understand how that works. But see the comments below for the the lowdown!
5. BATES – [knif]E in BATS (crazy) — referring of course to the Bates Motel in Hitchcock’s “Psycho”.
6. HAILSTORM – anagram of HIS MORTAL
7. VAGUE – V[est] + AGUE (fit)
8. SINCERE – SINCE (as) + [t]R[u]E (true, ignoring the odds)
14. BEANPOLES – anagram of PLAN OBESE
16. QUARTERLY – QUARTER (lodge) + [on]LY
17. APPLIANCE – I (one) + anagram of CAN both in APPLE (fruit)
18. ABASHED – A (a) + BASHED (hit)
20. DIGRESS – GI (serving man) reversed in DRESS (groom)
22. TORSO – T[ree] + OR SO (more or less). I think this clue is okay but suspect some people might raise an eyebrow at “or” being in both “or so” and “more or less”.
23. MANON – O (old) in MANN (German novelist, Thomas)
24. ELFIN – F (female) in NILE (river) backwards