Financial Times 13,858 by Cinephile

Posted by PeeDee on November 23rd, 2011

PeeDee.

A relatively straightforward puzzle from Cinephile, and nothing contentious that I can see.  Thank you Cinephile for an enjoyable puzzle.

Hold mouse over clue number to see clue.

1 LEBANESE BANES (troubles) in LEE (shelter)
5 ADJUST AD (publicity) JUST (only)
10 CLOWN LOW (base) in CN (unofficial IVR code for China)
11 STOP SHORT PS (addition to letter) HO (house) inside S (south) TORT (wrong) – definition is “don’t go as far as”
12 SIDEBOARD SIDE (team) BOARD (directors)
13 ROTOR ROT (nonesense) OR (gold) – the rotor of a helicopter
14 BATTEN Definition and cryptic definition – batten is to fatten and ‘batten down the hatches!’
15 CHELSEA ELSE (if not) in CHA-cha (part of dance) – the Chelsea Flower Show (somewhere that shows flowers)
18 OLD CHAP OLD (familiar) CHAP (area of sore skin)
20 MOTHER MO (modus operandi, how to do it) in front of (first) THE R (river) – definition is ‘dam’
22 SCRUB Double definition
24 SACRED COW SCARED* COW (frighten, cause to be scared) – definition is ‘shibboleth’. I’m not quite sure how shibboleth is the same as sacred cow, but the meanings are along the same lines, could be that a ‘sacred cow’ is a belief by which one could recognise one from another culture?   Perhaps someone can help out with a clearer explanation.  See comments #2 and #4 for more info on this.
25 MANGANESE MAN AG (silver) reversed and SEEN*
26 ARMED Double definition
27 ROLLER Cryptic definition
28 TERRAPIN P (quiet) in TERRAIN
1 LOCUST CU (copper) in LOST (lost souls, the damned)
2 BROADBAND Spoonerism of “bored brand” – not interested (bored) and type (brand), definition is ‘connection’
3, 6 NONE BUT THE BRAVE DESERVES THE FAIR ONE BUTT (barrel) HEBRew (largely Jewish) in NAVE (part of church) and (THIS RED SEA FEVER)*- lines from the poem Alexander’s Feast by John Dryden
4 SUSTAIN Double definition
6 See 3
7 U-BOAT ABOUT*
8 TUTORIAL I (1 Roman numeral) inside ORAL (exam) following TUT (disapproving comment)
9 NORDIC miNOR DICkens (some characters from)
16 SKETCH MAP KETCHup (some tomato sauce) M (monsieur) inside SAP (juice)
17 GOSSAMER MASS (large amount) reversed inside GOER (active person)
19 POSTER POST ER (Elizabeth Regina) – Her Majesty’s mail, definition is ‘bill’, advertisement stuck to a wall
20 MACHETE M (monsieur, gentleman) and ACHETÉ(bought) written in French
21 SWEDEN WEDNESday (most of day) with the S and E moved (a little change) – definition is ‘land’
23 RENAL New (start of) in REAL (a coin) – definition is ‘connected with organ’, of the kidney

*anagram

12 Responses to “Financial Times 13,858 by Cinephile”

1. Steve says:

Thanks for the blog PeeDee and Cinephile for an enjoyable puzzle.

Minor correction at 6d – should be ‘deserves’ rather than ‘deserve’.

2. mike04 says:

Thanks PeeDee

This was very enjoyable and fairly easy, but I managed to make a couple of
    silly mistakes and I couldn’t see the abbreviation used in 20ac or unravel the
    spoonerism in 2dn. Thanks for your clear explanations.

Cherry-picking from different reference books:
    SACRED COW
    idea unreasonably held to be immune from criticism (Concise Oxford).
    SHIBBOLETH
    a worn-out or discredited doctrine (Brewer).
    That’s as close as I can get. It is, however, a Cinephile clue with a question mark!

Some lists give .cn as an abbreviation for CHINA on the internet.

3. PeeDee says:

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the thoughts on cow/shibboleth, that is the closest definition found so far I think.

For China .cn was my first thought too, I actually got as far as writing it into the first draft of the blog but on reflection (and a little Wikipedia) I changed it to the IVR, since this is a well established crossowrd convention, and also the unofficial nature works well with the question mark in the clue.

4. Thomas99 says:

I didn’t have a problem with 24 but found it quite hard to explain when I started thinking about it! The way I see it is:

In the bible shibboleth is the password they have to know to get into (wherever it is), so it’s come to mean (sometimes) something like a talisman, an opinion or saying that people hold onto as if it’s essential/good for them. Say voting reform for the Lib Dems – it’s a shibboleth because bringing it up always makes you fit in, gets other Lib Dems to agree with you etc. And that’s also what people sometimes mean by sacred cow – an idea you can be sure your party/faction/group will always accept and agree with. I think there’s also often a sense for both words that there’s something a bit insubstantial about the idea/opinion described.

5. Thomas99 says:

PS.
    mike04′s explanation seems persuasive to me too – and unlike mine it’s backed up by references! Those definitions are both more pejorative than the ones I was imagining.

6. Sil van den Hoek says:

Thanks PeeDee – as you said, relatively straightforward but enjoyable.
    Not happy, though, with SWEDEN (21d).
    “Only the S moved”? Don’t think so.
    A little change? Don’t think so.

7. PeeDee says:

Sil, you are right, I hadn’t spotted that two letters have moved.

8. Keeper says:

I was going to ask how “bored brand” is a Spoonerism for “broad band” in 2d, but I finally figured it out after affecting a British accent. (On my side of the pond, this Spoonerism wouldn’t have worked.)

9. mike04 says:

Hi Keeper

The Spoonerism doesn’t work in many parts of Britain either.
    You must have put on one of the English accents, I think. You did better than me.
    I live in Scotland, and without PeeDee’s fine blog, I would never have got it!

10. PeeDee says:

Hi mike04 and keeper, I can’t figure out how this won’t work in the US/Scotland.

b+ord br+and = br+ord b+and

by swapping over the begging sounds (b and br) from each word. What am I missing here?

11. mike04 says:

Hello again, PeeDee

I read the Spoonerism change as: B+OAD/BR+AND = BR+OAD/B+AND
    and the first half of the left side to be read as the word ‘bored’(not interested).
    I pronounce the R in BORED. There isn’t an R in BOAD so the two sounds in my accent are completely different.

12. PeeDee says:

Thanks Mike, I get it now.