Independent 7833 by Dac

Posted by flashling on November 23rd, 2011

flashling.

Half expected Crosophile as I’ve got him a few months running on Wednesdays, but always a pleasure to get a Dac as ever little contentious with a couple of &lits.

Few anagrams and some DDs being served up today but I think most regular Indy solvers won’t have been too troubled.

Across:

1 ON TICK Hidden in (seas)ON TICK(ets)
4 ROADSIDE No leader in (b)ROADSIDE
10 TRAGEDIAN (ac)T + AGED 1 in RAN
11 CLEGG L(ib) + EGG after C(on) &lit
12 INDEPENDENT (PEN in ED) all in INDENT
14 LUG LUG(e)
15 JEREMIAH Hom JERRY + hom MAYA
17 LAY ON Y(ear) in LOAN*
19 AMAZE A.M. + (h)AZE
21 HERITAGE No miles in HER(m)ITAGE
24 SIM Double definition
25 FINGALS CAVE (GALS + VAC rev) in FINE
27 CARGO CAR + GO
28 WRINKLIES I in WRINKLES (hints)
30 STRIKING DD
31 PATRON (A PORT)* + (luncheo)N
Down:
1 OUTFIT DD
2 TWADDLE T(ime) + WADDLE
3 COE C(ordinating) O(lympic) E(vent) &lit
5 OUNCE (p)OUNCE
6 DECATHLETES DEC(ember) + HEATS* in LET
7 IDEALLY kIdDiEs  + ALLY
8 ENGAGING (GAG + IN) in ENG
9 FIENDISH E in FIN(ancial) + DISH (the dirt)
13 PIECE OF WORK DD
16 HERBARIA HER + BARI + A(rea)
18 RANSACKS RAN + SACKS
20 ADMIRER (I DREAM)* + R(omeo)
22 GLAZIER (evenin)G + LAZIER
23 PERSON Hidden in (newspa)PERS ON(ce)
26 NO WIN Or NOW IN
29 KOA K.O. + A – a Hawaiian tree

8 Responses to “Independent 7833 by Dac”

1. Paul A says:

Couldn’t parse 9d properly. Thanks – also dead tree version has 25ac as 6,5 which threw me a bit.

2. Ian W. says:

Still can’t parse 9d. Why is dish “ruin”?

3. Allan_C says:

Ian W @2

Chambers has ‘to ruin (colloq.)’ among the meanings of ‘dish’ as a verb. Not an expression I use myself but it was used frequently in our household when I was young.

Thanks, flashling.

I struggled with a few here. Dish for ‘ruin’ was new to me too, and wrinkles for hints? Can’t find that one. So for me a little harder than usual for a Wednesday, but with some clever Dac clueing as always. Liked CLEGG in particular.

5. Thomas99 says:

Dish was familiar to me, although I wouldn’t use it myself or even know how to, exactly. But wrinkle for hint was baffling and I hesitated to put it in. But here it is, in the Free Online Dictionary:

wrinkle (2)
    n
    Informal a clever or useful trick, hint, or dodge

So now we know. I’m pretty sure I’ve never come across it though.

6. nmsindy says:

Good as always, a little harder than usual for Dac. That’s a meaning of ‘wrinkle’ all right, K’s D, and I guess it would have to have, as it does, a different root to the better-known wrinkle as that’s relevant to the definition itself. Thanks, flashling (BTW, I think regular Indy solvers are quite happy to be ‘troubled’ as I was with a few clues here), and Dac.

7. NealH says:

4 across gave me the most trouble here, largely because I was half-convinced it must have an anagram of wiped in it. I’d just about heard of wrinkles, although I can’t say it was the first word that jumped to mind. I liked the Clegg &lit.

8. flashling says:

Both dish meaning ruin and wrinkles hints, are in my Chambers – admittedly hardly the first entries though but since I knew both I assumed others did too, sorry about that. At Paul A#1 I’ve got the filled in dead tree next to me and I didn’t notice the incorrect enumeration – oops.