Independent 7838 by Anax

Posted by flashling on November 29th, 2011

flashling.

I had a good chat with Anax on Saturday night at the Derby Sloggers &Betters so it was a surprise that he didn’t say he was the setter for today (let alone give any hints). OK so hi to B&J and here’s a bit more for you. I can’t see a definite theme today, there’s a lot of long multi part answers and a musical twist in places and glorious &lits.

Here goes. I found this a pig to solve and blog.

Across:

7&14 Eurovision song contest I hate trying to sort out these long anagrams! [Countries voting so ones]* & &lit
10 On dit D(aughter) in ON IT. More French for K’s D to explain.
11 Interdeal I(nvariably) + [later end]* bit obscure to me
12 Earwigged EA(ch) + W(ife) in RIGGED
13/22 Staff sergeants STAFFS + G(ood) in ERE +ANTS
14 See 7
17 Strides S(hor)T + R + ID ES(t)
18 Aesop AE (Housman)’S (poet) + OP. Did wonder if this should be HOUSEman the Hugh Lawrie chararcter
19 See 2d
22 See 13
24 Bylaw B(ook) + L(ength) in YAW
25 Signature tunes NATURE in [GUESTS IN]* Not really &lit but very nice. Cough Arsenal.
Down:
1 see 13
2 & 19 Don’t give up the day job [by a TV judge I’d hope not]* & littish in Anax style
3 see 20
4 Pintados PINT + SODA rev
5 Oner Other ranks around NE
6 & 21 Romeo and Juliet DJ in [Our time alone]* Dire Straits song
8 Goldfish Bowl OLD (Michael) FISH in GB + O(ld) W(eatherman) + L
9 Lower Classes LO + CREW rev + LASSES
13 & 1 Scream blue murder [(mak)E + EARDRUMS CRUMBLE]* &lit
15 Nose rags I think it’s NOSE not ROSE + RAGS but welcome to suggestions on this. [Edit see Eileen's explanation at #1 for a much better answer]
16 Titanium (coal) TIT + A + 1 in N.U.M.
20 & 3 Easter Rising (No OR in TERR(or) + IS) in EASING
23 ERAS Who’d have thought the ex would come to my aid, she did typography at University so I know ERAS is a typeface

14 Responses to “Independent 7838 by Anax”

Thanks for the blog, flashling.

Re 15dn: I was glad anax didn’t use the word ‘Spoonerism’ because my heart sinks when I see it and they do crop up fairly recently. ‘After initial confusion’ [much better!] ROSE NAGS [girl is going on] becomes NOSE RAGS [hankies].

Many thanks, anax, for another great puzzle.

2. shyam says:

Enjoyed this crossword for all the clever touches. Thanks Anax & flashling.

15D: Rose Nags becomes Nose Rags, I thought.

Thank you, flashling. K’s D is happy to explain 10ac, although he had never heard of the term before. ON DIT translates as ‘one says’ or ‘it’s said’, thus alluding to a rumour. But it’s not hyphenated either in French, or in my SOED.

Other than that, I have nowt else to contribute this morning, because I couldn’t even get started with this one! A puzzle for those that like hard ones, I fancy.

4. nmsindy says:

Thanks, Anax and flashling. Yes, this was tough but worth persisting with till it all worked out. The one I did not understand till coming here was NOSE RAGS so thanks to the two commenters for that. After getting almost nothing for quite a while, I saw GOLDFISH BOWL tho I’d no crossing letters and steadily managed to solve the puzzle after that.

5. crypticsue says:

Anax in superb form once again. My piece of paper is covered with anagram workings but lots and lots to make me smile. I had heard of ‘on dit’ so wasn’t held up by that one. THanks to Flashling – I wouldn’t have wanted to blog this one as I find with Anax you do need a certain amount of ‘darkened room’ time before moving on. 13/1 is indeed a splendid &Lit.

6. Pelham Barton says:

Thanks Anax for a crossword which I enjoyed and flashling for the blog. Favourite clues: almost all of them.

10ac: on-dit is given hyphenated in Chambers 1998.

12ac: Slight moan about this one. I think “in” is doing double duty. I think you need all of “in a fix” for RIGGED, so it could do with a separate insertion indicator.

Pelham Barton

Re 12ac: I initially thought the same – but people say, ‘Its a fix’, [Chambers: 'something fraudulently or covertly aranged'] meaning, ‘It’s rigged’.

8. Pelham Barton says:

Eileen @7 re 12ac: Thanks. That makes good sense.

9. MikeC says:

Thanks flashling and Anax. K’s D@3 – I must have been on good form this morning, as it all fell out fairly quickly [a few needed checking with Chambers, mind, and my parsing of NOSE RAGS was a bit (sn)iffy]. Quite a contrast with my last Anax, when I hardly got started. As I think I may have said before (more or less), “It’s all about momentum”.

Yes, Mike – I have the same experience with the ‘harder’ setters like Anax and Nimrod. If I can get going, then I can usually struggle across the finishing line; but if I can’t get a start, then I’m knackered. And it depends a bit on state of mind and so on (although I was quite chilled this morning, so that’s no excuse).

11. anax says:

Good evening friends (or should I say “Achoo sniffle”).
    After seeing DON’T GIVE UP THE DAY JOB and very helpful part-fodder TV JUDGE this was just an exercise in putting a load of split answers in the grid – didn’t want to overdo it, of course, and half a dozen seemed about right.
    Hope you all had fun. For me it’s now a case of loading my system with hot lemon and hoping this rotten cold is gone by morning. The band’s drummer and keyboard player were both full of it when we played last Thursday and I gave the latter a lift home so it was no surprise to catch a dose. Just lucky it didn’t kick in until yesterday, i.e. after Sunday’s gig.
    Huge thanks as ever to flashling and to all for your comments. Nighty night.

12. Lenny says:

Thanks Flashling this was a lot of fun. I fully expected to get my usual one wrong but I came here to find that my guess at Eras was correct. Otherwise there were some unusually tricky anagrams. Particularly for the song Romeo and Juliet which reminds me of the (apocryphal?) Film credit “By William Shakespeare with additional dialogue by Sam Taylor. Commiserations on the man flu Anax.

13. Bertandjoyce says:

Phew! (not flu, thank goodness) No, we haven’t spent all day looking at it but at first scan through we wished we had started earlier. Worth perservering with though! Thanks Anax but you could have at least warned us on Saturday that you were setting a really devilish one!!

Many thanks flashling for the link! We’ve already entered the dates in the diary for next year and have made enquiries about accommodation. See you there?

Hope that you are better soon Anax. Flashling – you deserve an easier ride next time or at least a hint beforehand if it is another Anax!!

14. flashling says:

Yes Bertandjoyce I hope to be in Southport next year, even if I’m not competing, won’t know for a while as the the competitors are drawn in a lottery. And thanks Anax for the cold/man flu such a nice bonus on top of the puzzle :-).