Independent 7,845/Dac

Posted by Ali on December 7th, 2011

Ali.

Lovely stuff as ever from Dac. I found some of this very tough with a lot of cleverly hidden definitions and struggled with the 2 long cryptic def. clues. I cannot find a single bad word to say about it though.

1 HEATHROW – (Ted) HEATH + ROW
6 CABIN – NIB + AC(count) rev.
9 OUT OF THE WINDOW – Cryptic def.
11 ISLET – Hidden rev. in distanT ELSInore
12 ANIMATION – 1 M(ile) in A NATION
13 OBSERVER – [-j]OB + SERVER
15 MENTAL – [-australia]N in METAL
17 THOUGH – THOUGH[-t]
19 CAST-IRON – A STIR in CON
22 EMBROILED – (LIB DEM OR [-conservativ]E)*
23 AMBLE – [-g(ood)]AMBLE
25 EROICA SYMPHONY – (MORE CHOPIN SAY)* + Y
26 TASTY – Hidden in fajiTAS TYpicaly
27 SECONDER – SECOND E.R
2 EQUAL – Hidden in thE QUALifiers
3 TROTTER – R(uns) in TOTTER
4 RETRACED – CART in DEER, all rev.
5 WEEVIL – WEE + VIL[-e]
6 COINAGE – IN TIME supporting CO.
7 BEDSITTER – ED’S in BITTER
8 NEW-ENGLANDER – NE (Geordie) + LAND in WENGER
10 SIX OF THE BEST – Cryptic def.
14 SNOW BOOTS – NOW in S(mall) = BOOTS (store)
16 PANDEMIC – MED rev. in PANIC
18 GROUCHY – (GUY + CHOR[-e])*
20 TEACH-IN – TEA + CHIN-[-chin]
21 CLASPS – P(ower) in CLASS
24 BINGE – BIN + E.G rev.

10 Responses to “Independent 7,845/Dac”

1. Allan_C says:

Sound as ever from Dac and a satisfying solve.

Just one little quibble about 27a. Very cleverly clued but in fact Elizabeth II is not the second E.R. as she shares the initials E.R. with eight monarchs of regnal name Edward. The second E.R. was in fact Edward II (reigned 1307-1327) – at least in England.

2. NealH says:

My quibble is with 4. How can retraced mean “discovered”? I only got it when, unable to think of anything else but convinced it couldn’t possibly be correct, I typed it into the online system and the message to say the puzzle was completed came up.

3. Cumbrian says:

I enjoyed this a lot, with personal favourite being 10d. I’m struggling a bit with 4d: does “retraced” equate to “discovered”? I may be missing something obvious, but it doesn’t quite wok for me; if you retrace something, surely it must already have been discovered?

4. Cumbrian says:

Ah – NealH beat me to it!

5. Pelham Barton says:

Thanks Dac for the puzzle and Ali for the blog. Nicely apt anagram at 25ac my favourite clue.

27ac: I had the same thoughts as Allan_C @1. I agree that we are in “little quibble” territory

4dn: The best I can find in Chambers 2008 is discover = espy and retrace = run over with the eye. I am not sure that is close enough.

9ac and 10dn: I enjoyed these. In each case we had a one-word defintion of the idiomatic meaning of the phrase and then a defintion of the literal meaning.

Minor errors in the blog:

15ac: [-alsatian]N not [-australia]N

6dn: IN AGE not IN TIME

6. Pelham Barton says:

… and a typing error in my correction to 15ac: [-alsatia]N not [-alsatian]N.

7. nmsindy says:

The Concise OED has retrace = discover and follow (a route taken by someone else). Excellent puzzle and blog. Thanks, Dac and Ali.

Thanks Ali and Dac. Usual fine stuff, with NEW ENGLANDER making me smile. Thanks for explaining TEACH-IN, which I couldn’t parse.

9. mhl says:

Thanks for the blog, Ali, and Dac for the puzzle. As often seems to be the case, my favourite clue ends up being the one that I just couldn’t see – NEW ENGLANDER in this case, which is brilliant :)

10. flashling says:

Had no problem with this, got CDs immediately and finished in about 20 mins, perhaps I’m a more liberal solver who accepts iffy definitions and noun/verb changes as fair game. Did like new englander though.