Everyman No. 3401 (4th December)

Posted by The Trafites on December 11th, 2011

The Trafites.

Lorraine:  Good morning to you all,

I personally found this weeks puzzle slightly harder than usual and needed Nick’s help to finish it.

Some very clever clues and a most enjoyable solve. Thank you Everyman and nice to see yourself included in the crossword.

1. Precedent in case (7)
EXAMPLE dd
5. Hounds from British estate (7)
BASSETS B+ASSETS
9. List at home about family (7)
INCLINE IN+C[circa, about]+LINE
10. Short argument with the French about superior kitchen tool (7)
SPATULA SPAT+(LA after U)
11. Veteran worried about extremely lazy Goldeneye character (9)
TREVELYAN (VETERAN*) around L(az)Y
12. Moisten, while cooking, some lamb (a steak) (5)
BASTE hidden: lamB (A STEak)
14. Ham-fisted lad may, developing film (3,6,6)
THE ADDAMS FAMILY (HAM-FISTED LAD MAY)*
16. What it may do if the weather’s beastly? (4,4,3,4)
RAIN CATS AND DOGS cyrptic pun
17. Slowed down when in ebbing river (5)
EASED AS[when] in (DEE<)
18. What could make one lie square? (9)
EQUALISER (LIE SQUARE*) &lit
21. End up in revolution abroad (4,3)
TURN OUT TURN+OUT
23. Religious glibness in meeting Judge disregarded (7)
UNCTION (j)UNCTION
24. Sharp reply about accepting one appointment (7)
RIPOSTE (I POST) in RE[about)
25. Back trouble in so tempestuous a love affair (7)
LIAISON (AIL<)+(IN SO*)
1. See English policeman over court order (5)
EDICT E+DI[detective inspector]+CT
2. Chief antagonists cheer as mine explodes (11)
ARCH-ENEMIES (CHEER AS MINE)*
3. Chief’s brief (5)
PRIME dd
4. Setter barking at three in a Liverpool playhouse (8,7)
EVERYMAN THEATRE EVERYMAN+(AT THREE*)
5. Concern when general spells out Asquith’s policy in the early days of World War I? (8,2,5)
BUSINESS AS USUAL BUSINESS[concern]+AS[when]+USUAL[general]
Business as usual was a policy followed by the British government, under Prime Minister H.H. Asquith.
6. Celebrity to get on the right side (9)
STARBOARD STAR+BOARD[get on]
7. Bird exhibited in Science Museum (3)
EMU hidden: sciencE MUseum
8. Two moccasins, say, either side of gumshoe (5,4)
SNAKE EYES SNAKES[moccasin is a type of snake] aroung EYE[private eye, gumshoe]
13. Children’s outfits from Russia – lost, I suspect (6,5)
SAILOR SUITS (RUSSIA – LOST, I)*
14. Nonsense written about wise counsellor, a tease (9)
TORMENTOR (ROT<)+MENTOR
15. Losing leaves, pair, American, after first of December (9)
DECIDUOUS (DUO+US) after DEC 1
19. Synthetic fabric left Cary uncomfortable (5)
LYCRA L+(CARY*)
20. Arrest knight in bankruptcy (3,2)
RUN IN N[knight] in RUIN
22. Pounding music (3)
RAP cdd

10 Responses to “Everyman No. 3401 (4th December)”

1. crosser says:

Thanks, Lorraine. I’m afraid I still don’t understand 8d which I had solved from the crossing letters. I got “snakes” (moccasins) round “eye” (gum-shoe), but I still can’t see where the definition is. Can anyone help?

2. Robi says:

Thanks Lorraine and Everyman; good puzzle.

Crosser, I assume SNAKE EYES is a reference to the ‘gumshoe’ film – see http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120832/

3. The Trafites says:

The definition to ‘snake eyes’ is TWO, i.e. the nickname for double one’s (. .)thrown in the dice game craps.

Nick

4. crosser says:

Thank you, Nick. You learn something every day!

5. Bamberger says:

Couldn’t get 9a.
    Had never heard of goldeneye except as an ointment and used a solver to get trevelyan which meant nothing to me either.
    8d as others have noted was as clear as mud.

6. Davy says:

Thanks Lorraine,

Another enjoyable puzzle from Everyman with SNAKE EYES being the last one in. I too was baffled by it but should have looked it up I suppose.

Particularly liked UNCTION, LIAISON and EDICT which were all excellent surfaces.

I also didn’t know TREVELYAN but LY inside veteran* jump seemed to jump out at me and seemed a likely name for a character (villain maybe ?).

Thanks Everyman for your consistently good puzzles.

7. scchua says:

Thanks Lorraine and Everyman.
    Hi Davy, pardon me if I’m off-course, but TREVELYAN refers to Alec, Agent 006, who went bad and became 007′s adversary in GoldenEye, the first James Bond movie not based on Fleming’s works.

8. Tom Willis says:

I remember seeing TREVELYAN pop up in an Everyman before and it struck me then as being a pretty obscure answer – fortunately I know the film well!

Thanks, Lorraine.

Enjoyed this one as usual. Put TREVELYAN in without understanding why, but I think that’s okay – that’s why I come here most weeks to see how you and other folk parsed it.

Loved EVERYMAN THEATRE.

10. Nik says:

Not quite sure why u = superior in 10a?

Any help? We’re still playing catch up on our crosswords!