Independent 7849 by Quixote

Posted by NealH on December 12th, 2011

NealH.

A fairly standard Monday puzzle from Quixote with a nice mixture of clues, mostly on the easy side. As is often the case, there were a few unusual words, but I didn’t have much trouble working these out from the clues.

1 Watt: Wa[s] + TT. Referring to James Watt, the steam engine pioneer.
3 Prolific: L(ecturer) + i in prof + I(n) c(harge).
9 Nomic: OM (order of merit) in nic[e].
11 Rustles up: Result* + sup.
12 Marine biologist: CD.
13 Lambast: Lamb + as + [daf]t.
15 Titian: I in Titan. I did nearly put in tomato, on the grounds that there is a “Red Giant” variety of tomato.
17 Triton: Tri[p] + ton. Triton is a moon of Neptune.
19 Shebeen: Sentence completion – “Where has she been?”.
20 A Sheet in the Wind: DD. I’d heard the expression “Four sheets to the wind” and apparently this is a variation of it which means slightly drunk.
22 Gladstone: Glad + one with st (saint) in it. The definition is “PM no longer” i.e. Gladstone is no longer prime minister.
23 Deist: Desist with one of the two S(unday)s removed.
24 Dissever: (Dress I’ve)*. Not a word I’ve seen before – it just seems to be a longer form of sever.
25 Wend: N(ame) in wed. Wend is a historical word for a West Slavic people.
1 Windmill: Wind (=insignificant words) + (John Stuart) Mill. Quite clever of Quixote to reference the Cervantes character here when we would automatically assume he was referring to himself.
2 Tamer: Hidden in quiet american.
4 Rarebit: DD/CD. Bit is a word for a coin, hence a rare bit might excite a coin collector.
5 Lash out: La (French the) + shout.
6 Follow the herd: DD.
7 Castigate: C + asti + gate.
8 Spit: DD. I think the “layer of earth” refers to the spit as a digging tool.
10 Contact lenses: (Clean contests)*.
14 Marshland: Mars hand around l(ake).
16 Unedited: Dundee* around it.
19 So there: The in sore.
20 Alga: Hidden in coastal gang.
21 Imide: I’m + ide. An ide is a type of carp, also spelt as id.

6 Responses to “Independent 7849 by Quixote”

Many thanks, Neal.

Enjoyable and mostly straightforward puzzle, with only a couple of googlies thrown up (for me, anyway, these were the nicely misleading WINDMILL and the intersecting NOMIC). Like you, I was unfamiliar with the variation of the phrase at 20ac.

Quixote often manages to smuggle a science-based clue (IMIDE today) into his Monday puzzle, which I like. Tiny niggle: a question mark at the end of 4dn might not have gone amiss.

Thanks to Quixote for a good start to the Indy week.

2. Pelham Barton says:

Thanks Quixote for a pleasant puzzle and Neal for the blog. We seem to be missing 18dn (NOISOME = Moonies*).

3. nmsindy says:

Thanks, NealH and Quixote. Enjoyable puzzle, which I too found was on the easy side.

4. Simon Harris says:

Thanks, NealH. Pretty much raced through this, though anti-climactically drew a complete blank on SPIT. If it’s a dd, then sadly I don’t think I’m familiar with either definition.

5. flashling says:

Cheers Neal/Quixote, slightly held my self up on “a sheet in the wind” by putting in “to the wind”. Liked the non self referential 1d and I put in spit without fully justifying.

6. Paul B says:

‘Three sheets to the wind’ is the variant I’m familiar with, though ‘in’ is just as good as ‘to’ (possible case for making an anagram with it).