Guardian 25,505 / Arachne

Posted by Eileen on December 14th, 2011

Eileen.

We know from Arachne’s numerous Marathon achievements that she’s not one to baulk at a challenge and this is her response to the gauntlet thrown down at the Sloggers and Betters get-together in Birmingham in June. I remember hoping then that it wouldn’t happen on my watch!

There’s a long-standing and totally justifiable argument that cryptic crosswords are biased towards the Arts side and that, while scientists are expected to know all about Shakespeare, Classical Mythology, History et al, it’s perfectly respectable for those of us on the other side to confess / profess ignorance of anything scientific. [Did anyone else hear Lisa Jardine's revisiting of Snow's 'The Two Cultures' in 'A Point of View' on Sunday morning?]

Arachne [bless her!] has undertaken to redress the balance and come up with a crossword which is mainly science-based, in either clues or solutions, or both. Thankfully, there is enough of her characteristic humour and wit, together with impeccable cluing, to make this a very enjoyable solve. There are some truly excellent surfaces.

I’m used to looking up quotations, dates, etc, when blogging: this puzzle has led me down different paths and I’ve learned a lot. Apologies for the slightly later than usual blog: there are a couple of instances where Arachne has beaten me – and, ironically, I don’t think it’s the science that has done it, but I’d better not spend any more time pondering. I’m sure there are several of you who will enjoy putting me right where I have not fully understood!

Brava, Arachne, for rising to the challenge and for making my ride outside my comfort zone less bumpy than I feared!

8   BONEMEAL: ME [one] in [admitted] anagram of A NOBEL: I loved the ‘pulverised body parts’ definition!
9   PLANCK: C [third letter [element] of uncertainty] in [gripped] PLANK [principle]: Max Karl Ernst Ludwig Planck [1858-1947] was a German physicist who actualized quantum physics, initiating a revolution in natural science and philosophy
10  ATOM: A [key] + reversal of MOT [test]
11  SUPERFLUID: amusing double definition: Chambers tells me that  superfluidity is “a phenomenon observed in a firm of helium [helium II] obtained below 2.19K, in which internal friction is negligible.”
12  STASIS: STASI [former East German secret police force] + S ['system originally']: what a superb surface!
14  PULSATES: P [quiet] + U ['originally unorthodox'] + anagram of TESLA’S: this definition was a surprise: I’d always thought of pulsation as being a regular rhythm: Nikola Tesla [1856 – 1943) was a Serbian-American inventor, mechanical engineer, and electrical engineer.
15  BOOLEAN: BOO [express disapproval] + LEAN [unrewarding]: Boolean algebra (or Boolean logic) is a logical calculus of truth values, developed by George Boole in the 1840s.
17  ADAMANT: means very hard [and also unresistant to prayer] but this one’s too hard for me to explain! ADA is a computer programming language [and MANTRA could be a prayer] but that’s as far as I can get
20  OUTREACH: OU [Oxford or Open University] + TEACH [lecture] round R[esistance]
22  CANINE: hidden in vulCAN IN Engine: a lovely surface with its Trekky reference
23  SCIENTISTS: anagram of ITS NICEST + S[ome] to give the theme word
24  BOER: sounds like the Danish physicist, Niels Bohr, whom I have met in several crosswords – and for once the clue is totally unambiguous!
25  MICRON: [o]MICRON – Greek character without love: I’m on familiar territory here: omicron, of course, means ‘little [short] O’, as opposed to omega [big / long O]
26  CROATIAN: nothing so simple as an anagram of ‘not limbo’, which was the first thought. It’s an anagram of COMBINATORIAL without the letters of ‘limbo': excellent! [Combinatorial [it doesn't even sound like a word!] analysis is the branch of mathematics which studies the number of different ways of arranging things

1   FORTY-TWO: another quirky one: FORTY [like Fort Knox!] +TWO: [pair] to give the ‘Hitch-hiker’s Guide to the Galaxy “Answer to the Ultimate Question of Life, the Universe, and Everything”.
2   BEAM: double definition – ‘dial’ meaning face
3   LENSES: I can’t quite get this one – LES [the French] around ‘nuclear antagonists’? The neat definition is ‘maybe contacts’
4   SLIP-UPS: reversal [upcoming] of PUPILS [students] + S[iemens]
5   SPIRALED: American spelling ['in US'] of SPIRALLED: anagram [spread] of DESPAIR round [nuc]L[ear]
6   RAILWAYMAN: WAY [course] in anagram [flow] of LAMINAR: “Laminar flow, sometimes known as streamline flow, occurs when a fluid flows in parallel layers, with no disruption between the layers.”
7   ACTIVE: C [carbon] in reversal [revolutionary] of EVITA [the best use I've seen of her in a crossword, I think]
13  SOLAR YEARS: great anagram [engineering] of SALARY ROSE
16  ADAPTING: A[merican] DAP [distributed array processor] + T[h]ING [ device no longer hot]
18  NON-METAL: anagram [unstable] of AN[d] + MOLTEN
19  PHYSICS: PHYS – sounds like [reportedly] ‘fizz’  [gas] + reversal of SCI[ence]: a very clever and amusing clue
21  UNCOIL: another one I can’t quite see: UNC [?] + OIL [petroleum]
22  COSMOS: C[many] + OS [large] + M[o]O[n]S
24  BETA: BA [graduate] round ET [the familiar alien]

65 Responses to “Guardian 25,505 / Arachne”

1. Ian W. says:

Thanks for the blog, Eileen.

Re 3d, perhaps “ENS” is the nucleus of “offensive” — but I can’t quite make that fit “antagonists”.

Ian SW3

2. Gaufrid says:

Thanks Eileen
    17ac is ADA MANT[is] (as in the insect)

3dn is ENS (European Nuclear Society) in LES

I’m still working on 21dn.

3. Ian W. says:

Thanks, Gaufrid.

Very clever parsing of 17a. Re 3d, I thought of European Nuclear Society (having Googled) but don’t see how they’re antagonists either.

Ian SW3

4. Gervase says:

Thanks, Eileen.

Nice one from Arachne – not bad for a Slavic linguist!

I found this fairly easy (being a scientist myself?) but I can’t parse 17a or 21d either. And 3d (lovely definition) might be ENS (European Nuclear Society) in LES, but why ‘antagonists’?

My science background was a slight hindrance for 9a, because I had the initial P and the ‘uncertainty principle’ made me want to fit Pauli into the clue – which is an excellent one.

Other favorites were 10a – lovely surface (ATOM = ‘smallest particle’ is arguable, of course, but just ask Democritus), 22a (splendid hidden clue) and 13d (great construction and surface).

I felt that ‘A’ was superfluous in 26a – it suggests that the answer is a person, rather than a demonymic adjective, and CROATIANs are more commonly called Croats – but Chambers assures me that the usage is kosher.

Bravissima, Spider Woman (more chemistry next time, please!)

5. Tramp says:

Excellent puzzle. I loved the surface relating to Amanda Knox and her partner in 1dn.

6. Blaise says:

I suspect “free” in 21d is NC=No Charge, but I can’t see how “society” gives U, unless it’s the abbreviation for “union”. I’ll be happy to stand corrected.

7. Rick says:

With regards to 3 down, could it be that “N” comes from “nuclear” and then “SE” are antagonists (as in South and East in a game of bridge)?

8. Thomas99 says:

Re lenses (3dn) I think les about n (nuclear) and ES (antagonists in Bridge) is a possibility.

9. Ian W. says:

Of course! U = society (as in “high society” or “society figure”) and NC is free. Thanks, Blaise.

10. Thomas99 says:

Oops – sorry Rick.

I like Blaise’s NC idea (21d) too. U=society seems plausible too. I had all sorts of improbable parsings, all far worse.

11. Dave Ellison says:

Thanks Eileen and Arachne – nice to see a science one.

I took 3d to be N(uclear) and SE, bridge opponents.

17a ADAMANT I thought the “of no use” indicated something (RA) removed from MANTRA, b ut can’t quite see it.

I think your description of Tesla is a little downbeat. He is not generally very well known for some reason, and he deserves better. Many modern applications result form his works of geius (eg dynamos, electric motors)

12. Blaise says:

In 3d (my favourite clue today, btw) I read “antagonists” as NS=North/South, but that still leaves an extra E…

13. Dave Ellison says:

I seem to have crossed with several others.

“but” and “genius” are what I meant.

14. Blaise says:

Crossed with Rick and Thomas, who are of course right (I was thinking chess rather than bridge). Is “nuclear” is doing double duty, not only keying the N but also putting it in between the E and S.

Thanks, all, for the suggestions. I think 17ac is another brilliant one now!

Great spot, Tramp, @5 – I missed that completely. I was [characteristically] dallying with John in the 16th century!

Hi Dave E: all my ‘descriptions’ come from Wikipedia. [I don’t know where all the question marks came from, though – I’ll get rid of them now!

16. Thomas99 says:

Blaise-
    I don’t think nuclear is doing double duty, if you have nse in les rather than ens is les.

17. Blaise says:

Incidentally, the programming language Ada was named after Ada Lovelace who wrote programs for Charles Babbage’s Analytical Engine in the early 1840s, making her the original IT girl. She was the daughter of the poet Lord Byron, which seems very appropriate for Spiderwoman’s shift from arts to sciences?

Hard, but satisfying puzzle. Thank goodness for a science-based crossword at last (although Monk in the Indy a while ago did give us a letter pattern that was the molecular structure for ethane).

A few Quiptic-style clues to get you going, which is fair enough, but then it was the non-scientific ones that I struggled with. And sometimes too much knowledge can be a dangerous thing: I so wanted to put OHM somehow into 20ac, and was convinced that TOE (Theory of Everything) had to be the second part of 1dn (which was excellent when I twigged what was going on).

Well done to Arachne for something different. But where was Schrödinger’s Cat as a fifteen-letter solution? I want my money back.

Thank you for blogging, Eileen.

I think that’s all my queries cleared up, then. Thanks again, everyone.

I’m going out now, for a Christmas lunch!

20. pommers says:

Arachne, thanks muchly for the change of emphasis. As an ex-chemist I enjoyed it immensely! Well done, it can’t have been easy to compile.

As Kathryn’s Dad says – too much knowledge can be dangerous! I too was trying to get OHM into 20a and it took a while for the penny to drop on ATOM – I was trying to get something a lot smaller than one of those!

Agree with oithers about 3d being N(uclear) and SE as antagonists in Bridge in LES. Clever clue IMHO!

Thanks for the blog Eileen.

21. Roger Hill says:

Great to see some names and words from the science side. Thanks, Arachne, and please do it again.

22. John Appleton says:

Thanks Eileen and Arachne – an excellent puzzle.

23. liz says:

Thanks for the blog, Eileen and I hope you enjoy your lunch!

Excellent puzzle from Arachne, who proved it is possible to keep the scientists happy without excluding those of us from the arts side.
    The wordplay eluded me in a couple of places, but I managed to finish thanks to the fair cluing.

Eileen — I quite agree that the clue for the homophone at 24ac is unambiguous. Unfortunately, I was so used to the ambiguous kind that I failed to read the clue properly and had BOHR for a while, which held me up in that corner!

24. Bertandjoyce says:

Thanks Eileen and Arachne. A really good solve over coffee. Couldn’t quite parse some of the answers but all is now revealed so thanks to everyone else. Now sitting down for lunch – hope you enjoyed yours Eileen!
    Still struggling with the Genius this month so will have to try and tackle that over lunch again!

25. chas says:

Thanks to Eileen for the blog. You explained a couple I failed to parse.

I have a small disagreement with you over 14a: you said you thought pulsation is regular and apparently thought the clue disagreed. You used ‘originally unorthodox’ to give letter ‘U’ which leaves ‘eccentricity’ to mean anagram of Teslas. That leaves ‘varies in intensity’ as the definition.

26. scchua says:

Thanks Eileen for the blog, and thanks Arachne for rising superbly to the challenge and providing us with a refreshing puzzle – all things science (and a sprinkle of science fiction, too)!

Favourites, which were among the last in were 8A BONEMEAL, liked the definition, 17A ADAMANT, finally switching from prayer/mantra to praying mantis, and 7D ACTIVE, after going from “Argentinian revolutionary” = CHE (Guevara) to = ATIVE.

Great stuff, and now for your next challenge, Arachne, may I humbly suggest drilling down to a particular science, say, astronomy, just for the hell of it! :-)

27. Giovanna says:

Thanks, Arachne for stretching the Little grey cells!! Eileen, you did us proud! Buon appetito!

This took a while to get into and thank goodness for the Greek alphabet to get me started. Many of the rest I managed to solve but I now appreciate the ingenuity of the puzzle and it is good for the scientists to have a turn.

After that workout, I hope Brendan is busy on another literary one!!

Giovanna

28. Giovanna says:

However, I needed the check button to complete!

Giovanna

29. Paul B says:

I think 21:

Get something straight: society needs free petroleum!

has (probably) been parsed up the thread somewhere, with U (which really means ‘acceptable to upper-class people’) as a Libertarian stab at ‘society’ (adj., Chambers), plus NC for no charge (not in Collins or Chambers), plus oil for petroleum (which is indeed the black/brown stuff on which we spend the lion’s share of our Jobseekers Allowance) seems a likely bet.

At 3 I’d never heard of the European Nuclear Society (not in Collins or Chambers), but if that’s what it is (for which many thanks, Gaufrid), I’ll assume that they are the opponents of the opponents of the nuclear industry.

As noted 26 seems to have a lot of extraneous bits, though as a compound anagram using two anagram indicators, it was never likely to be a quick, punchy one.

30. Mr. Jim says:

Thanks to Arachne and Eileen. Being more of a scientific bent myself, I enjoyed this one.

9A is sort of an and-lit as well. The third quantity in the Heisenberg uncertainty principle (the first two being momentum and position) is related to Planck’s constant.

31. Thomas99 says:

Paul B-
    I don’t think European Nuclear Society are involved in 3d, and they are not opponents of the nuclear industry. I think the alternative parsing of n for nuclear and se for South and East (opponents at Bridge) must be right (see posts 7&8 above).

32. Paul B says:

Hi Thomas – hope ye are well the dee.

I do see your reasoning there, giving N/ SE the nod over ENS, but ‘antagonists’ seems a bit short of a fair indication for the bridge opponents: I’m not convinced!

33. Arachne says:

Afternoon, everyone!
    First of all, enormous thanks – even more than usual! – to the wonderful Eileen for a wonderful (but far too kind) blog. So sorry you got landed with this one. Thanks to everyone for all the comments, and I’m glad that at least some of you may still be talking to me. I think parsing difficulties have been cleared up, above – thanks.

Yikes, I’ve had nightmares about this one – visions of angry armies of artists, unable to solve a single clue, being elbowed in the ribs by outraged scientists, frothing at the mouth at my egregious inaccuracies, all wanting to beat me round the head with a copy of CP Snow. But there is a serious point to be made about the Two Cultures, as Eileen says. A growing number of people are actually turning away from science, either for religious or post-modern, relativist, reasons, and recent surveys show that almost 50% of Americans now reject the theory of evolution. Don’t want to get too heavy here, but in the face of this wilful closing of minds I think intelligent, rational people have a responsibility to fight the dying of the light. My formal science education consisted of Biology O-Level (at about the same time Darwin was writing The Origin of Species), so if I can keep up with at least the basics of science then, believe me, anyone can. BTW I highly recommend http://www.edge.org for cutting, er, edge scientific argument.

Now I’m off to lie down with Dr Brian Cox
    Love and hugs,
    Arachne x

34. tupu says:

Thanks Eileen and Arachne

Solved correctly and mostly understood after starting this rather late in the day.

I did not know (or remember perhaps) about the challenge, though of course the scientific theme was clear enough. Perhaps partly because of this, and unlike most of you, I’m afraid I got very little pleasure from the puzzle even though I had to do relatively little hunting to tease out the answers and their parsing.

I agree 17a is a brilliant clue (once Gaufrid unravelled the Mant part). 22d was also nice I thought.

35. Thomas99 says:

Paul B –
    I’ve seen that used before – E and N, or S and W etc., described as opponents or similar. It seems slightly “in” to me, and to be honest the first time I came across it I don’t think I understood it, but nobody seems to mind. Like Chess (“man” for queen etc.) and a few other things, I think Bridge has been entwined with crossword clues for so long that it’s seen as part of the furniture.

Ah – Arachne’s commented (many thanks for the puzzle, Arachne!). She says all the parsing’s been cleared up which I assume applies to 3d (at least 3 of us said n(uclear) + s(outh) + e(ast)).

36. Arachne says:

PS I forgot to apologise for the extraneous initial A which slipped through at 26ac. Just to clear up a couple of points, at 3dn nuclear=n, and the opponents are, indeed, the dusty old bridge players. At 23dn society=U, a la Mitford, but I had to argue it by the editor, who had doubts.
    For me, the hardest thing about this puzzle proved to be the surfaces, and some of them were very difficult (read: impossible) to polish from a somewhat lumpen state without risking inaccuracy, for which I also apologise.

37. chas says:

A further thought re 1d: Hitchhiker’s Guide was being broadcast on the radio in the days when I lectured on computers for ICL. I became notorious for including the number 42 (and its hex equivalent 2A) in my examples :)

38. RCWhiting says:

Thanks all
    Wonderful. A real challenge and I wish some of the male setters would take note in how to set a challenging puzzle.
    Some of you frequently refer to finding clues amusing.I rarely chuckle or even smile but 1d was brilliant. Surely Arachne must be a fan of I’m Sorry I Haven’t a Clue’s Uxbridge Dictionary.
    Although ENS is no longer relevant it is in Chambers.

39. gm4hqf says:

Thanks Eileen and Arachne

Very tough puzzle for me. I think I would have got 11a SUPERFLUID if I had been able to see any sense in 3d. Once you see the answer it is a brilliant clue.

I entered ADAMANT for 17a but I was thinking of Mantra for Prayer.

40. MikeC says:

Thanks Eileen and Arachne. Pretty challenging – I certainly needed help with some of the parsing.

Loved 1d – cleverly clued and made me laugh!

41. dunsscotus says:

Thanks to Eileen and Arachne; I really enjoyed this one.

To Gervase @ 4: didn’t Pauli invent the’exclusion’ principle? The other one is by Heisenberg (but I’m not certain!)

I agree with you that Rutherford’s atom turned out to be splittable, but the clue worked for me on more etymological grounds: a putative atom is ‘a-tomic’, i.e. can’t be cut. That there exists a truly a-tomic particle is looking less likely these days.

42. Derek Lazenby says:

Well, having finished this one I have to say it was a relief to do so as failing on a science puzzle would have been rather embarrassing.

There was only one thing I would query, and that is calling Ada a hard programming language. Whilst that is a commonly held belief, so one can’t blame Arachne for reporting it as such, I have to say I found it to be spectacularly easy, but then programming was always my “clever cloggs” area.

43. Allan_C says:

Had this all sewn up before the blog appeared, but haven’t had chance to get back since. Not much I can add, but it seems a happy co-incidence that the puzzle appeared the day that the Large Hadron Collider people said thay MAY have found evidence for the Higgs boson.

Thanks Arachne and Eileen.

44. Allan_C says:

Derek @42: Isn’t “hard” the definition for “adamant”, so that ADA is just “programming language”?

45. Derek Lazenby says:

Doh!

Still at least I bagged Post # “The Answer”

46. Ron K says:

Might 21-“uncoil” have something to do with “unco”+ “oil”?

47. John H says:

I really loved this, mostly because I was able to finish it all on my own. Not because the cryptic elements were particularly easy, but because I had the background knowledge.

This must be how classically educated solvers feel most days!

48. Gervase says:

dunsscotus: You’re quite right about Pauli and the Exclusion Principle v Heisenberg and Uncertainty – it was the ‘principle’ part that led me (for a little while, anyway) up the garden path. I thought ‘uncertainty’ might have been an anagrind. But it wasn’t. Obviously.

As for unsplittable a-toms – that was the reason for my reference to Democritus. Sorry to be so cryptic!

Hi Ron K @46

Arachne herself has been kind enough to drop in and clear up the parsing problems @ comments 33 and 36.

I don’t think I recognise your name, so, if you’re a new commenter, welcome! It’s always a good idea [if a little tedious, on a busy day like today!] to look through the comments, as well as the blog. [If you're not new here, my apologies.]

Hi John H @47

We’ve had several John Hs here, so, again, I’m not sure whether you’re a new one! From your email address, I can see that you’re not John Henderson, aka Enigmatist, who comments here from time to time, and is the one who most readily springs to mind. If you are new, I suggest that you think of another pseudonym, to avoid confusion. ;-)

Re your final comment: as a classically [state school, I always hasten to add - those were the days!] educated solver, I have to admit, as I said in the preamble, that we do fare rather better than you scientists. My knowledge of ‘atomic theory’ is derived from Democritus and Lucretius [thanks, Gervase!].

[But I did enjoy this one - I just had to work a bit harder!]

50. Robi says:

Thanks Arachne & Eileen. It would have to be today when I did not have time to look at the crossword properly.

I thought ‘smallest particle’ must be ATOM, although it isn’t. My theory is that if they keep smashing things up at ever greater velocities, they’ll just get even smaller particles (Russian dolls.) Unfortunately, particle physics is not understandable unless you are a mathematician. Better stick to biology where most of the theories are testable and don’t involve eleven dimensions.

51. Martin P says:

I’ve a science background but found this hard. 1d completely threw me as a one-off!

Delightful change though. Thanks to setter and bloggers alike.

52. Davy says:

Thanks Eileen,

Really enjoyed this and felt that no great scientific knowledge was necessary in order to finish it. The only answers that I couldn’t parse were STASIS (didn’t know STASI) and UNCOIL (didn’t know NC=no charge. I was thinking of United Nations + OIL but that left a spare ‘c’).

Favourites were SCIENTISTS, CROATIAN, SOLAR YEARS and COSMOS.

Many thanks Arachne.

53. chainsawpete says:

Everyone seems to have parsed 19a incorrectly. ADA is indeed the language but MANTIS is a word meaning “one who prays”, so IS not
    leaves MANT. Note that Praying Mantis should be reported to the Department of Redundancy Department, along with Pizza Pie, Shrimp Scampi and ATM Machine.

54. Cosafina says:

I loved this puzzle, but (once again) am so grateful for this blog to clarify the parsing of 3d and 21d!
    Thanks Arachne, Eileen and everyone else!

55. chainsawpete says:

That was 17a, ADAMANT.

56. Arachne says:

Just back from a special showing of Nick Broomfield’s new film ‘Sarah Palin: You Betcha!’ with the wonderful Mr Broomfield himself, and I can only shudder at the prospect of a retreat from/rejection of science. Many thanks, again, for kind comments, apologies for mistakes, and next time – if there is a next time – I’ll work harder on the dratted surfaces. Nighty night, Arachne x

57. RCWhiting says:

chain
    Back in the 60s I was quite illogically annoyed by the frequent use of “UDI declaration”.

58. Derek Lazenby says:

RCW, back in the 70s I used to work for the MEL Equipment Company Ltd. Want to guess what the EL stood for? Your last post is a clue.

59. RCWhiting says:

I would guess that they made mechanical duplicators.

Hi chainsawpete @53 and 55, if you’re still there

I take your point about RAS syndrome [Redundant Acronym Syndrome Syndrome {sic}]as I discovered it’s called when it was discussed here before.

However, there was no misparsing here: Gaufrid’s comment @2 was:
    “17ac is ADA MANT[is] (as in the insect)”

[Chambers and Collins, however, both say that the insect, MANTIS, is also known as the 'praying mantis' - but that will be reflecting usage, I suppose.]

17ac is ADA MANT[is] (as in the insect)

Apologies for the redundancy at the end: I forgot to remove the original ‘cut and paste’ – how ironical!

62. tupu says:

Hi Eileen et al

I see no problem with 17a. The word mantis originally meant a prophet and means the insect named after its ‘likeness’ to a prophet in prayer. As you say the term praying mantis is also used. Whichever way we look at it the mantis is ‘a prayer’ and without its final ‘is’ it is ‘mant’.

63. apple granny says:

We didn’t do this until today (family birthday yesterday) and it is so reassuring to find that all the “pros” like you Eileen, got stuck on the reasoning behind 17a, 21d and 3d as we did. We loved the challenge, and correctly guessed the 3 solutions which thanks to everyone, we now understand. Now must tackle Tramp!

64. Graham H says:

Well, I’m a little late to the party, but just to say I loved this puzzle – and it was one of those which just clicked for me… One of my faster solves (which isn’t saying that much!)

65. Huw Powell says:

I can’t remember how long this took me, but I thoroughly enjoyed it, especially once the theme was noticed (after maybe 4 or five solutions). I marked the grid as I went with squares for answers involving science and circles where there was at least some science in the clue.

This wasn’t just themed, *every single entry* is science-related in the clue or answer (or both). And done without any clumsy disasters to “make the last couple work” that I could see.

Needed the blog to parse ADAMANT and BEAM. Thanks Eileen and the rest of you for that, and special thanks to Arachne for this delightful “right up my alley” treat!