Independent 7857/Dac

Posted by Pierre on December 21st, 2011

Pierre.

Called off the bench again late in the day.  In the interests of getting something out quickish, I’ll be brief.

I need help on a couple, please.

1  PLEASANT
Nicely topical: it’s a shortening of PLEAse SANTa.

6  Capital city’s hotel quarter
PARISH
A charade of PARIS and H for ‘hotel’ in the NATO alphabet.

9  Englishman agreed about a name for Portsmouth
POMPEY
A charade of POM for ‘Englishman’ and PEY for a reversal of YEP.

10  CONSPIRE
An insertion of (PRISON)* in CE for the ‘outskirts’ of CambridgE.

11  MOORFOWL
A homophone (ish) of MORE FOUL.

12  OLDEN
The middle letters of ‘Neapolitan’ and DEN.

13  LANG
He’s the director, but I can’t parse this, I’m afraid.

14  TERMINATES
INATE in TERMS for ‘school days’, but not sure how we get the INATE bit.

16  CONSONANCE
CONS plus ON(ANC)E.  ANC for African National Congress.

19  SAME
Hidden reversed in housemaster.

21  VISAS
An insertion of IS in VAS for ‘vas deferens’, the tube in your testicles (assuming you have some, of course).

23  BLESSING
A charade of B and Doris LESSING.

24  DEADLOCK
Presumably a homophone of a character in Bleak House, but I haven’t got time to look it up.

25  STITCH
A charade of S and TITCH.

26  BOTTOM
A reversal of M, OTTO and B

27  VANISHED
VAN and an insertion of SHE in ID.

2  LEONORA
An insertion of ON for ‘appearing’ in (A ROLE)*

3  ASPARAGUS
An insertion of SP in A RAGUS, a reversal of Suralan.

4  ANY PORT IN A STORM
(TORY MANTRA P[R]ISON)*

5  TICKLER
A pun cum dd, from ‘tickling’ trout to catch them.

6  PANTOMIME SEASON
A charade of PAN, the god, and (EMOTIONS SAME)*

7  RAPID
A reversal of DIP A R.

8  STRANGE
A charade of ST for ‘street’ and RANGE.

15  ASSASSINS
An insertion of SAS in AS SINS.  And the two donkeys left firmly in the paddock.

17  ORVIETO
A charade of OR for ‘other ranks’, VIE and TO.

18  NABOKOV
An insertion of A B and OK in NOV for ‘November’.

20  MANACLE
A charade of MAN plus an insertion of L in ACE, and & littish.

22  SADAT
Hidden in MosSAD ATtack.

Thanks to Dac for the usual smooth Wednesday offering.

12 Responses to “Independent 7857/Dac”

1. Allan_C says:

13a LANG(uage), English being an example of a language.

2. nmsindy says:

I think TERMINATES is TERM IN A SET(reversed)

3. nmsindy says:

There are “Dedlock” characters in Bleak House.

4. Gaufrid says:

Pierre
    Many thanks for offering your services at such short notice. I certainly didn’t expect you to have something published within 36 minutes!

5. Pierre says:

Thanks all. Should have seen LANG, obvious now that Allan’s pointed it out; TERMINATES a bit more tricky, though, as I was looking for a simple insertion as indicated by ‘the reverse’. And touch typing is a skill I have never regretted learning at the age of 18, Gaufrid …

Now the panic’s over, I thought this was another excellent puzzle from Dac – week in, week out, he produces some lovely surfaces and a range of clever cluing.

6. Pelham Barton says:

Thanks Dac for the puzzle and Pierre for the blog.

1ac: I took it as PLEA + SANT(a), but Pierre’s version also works.

14ac: I think this is TERM + IN + (SET A) reversed, where Set A is the top class.

7. Pierre says:

Pelham, I like your version of PLEASANT better. I was a bit uncertain about my way, because you have to take two letters off the first and only one off the second, which the Good Reverend would get away with in Another Place, but is not common among the Indy setters.

8. Bertandjoyce says:

Thanks for explaining 2d. We were afraid there might have been a misprint at first and then came up.with a very convoluted explanation with ‘n o’ for name of. Must be later than we thought.
    Thanks to Pierre and Dac.

9. Wil Ransome says:

Well done Pierre producing the blog so quickly. Agree with you about how Dac goes on producing these excellent crosswords week after week.

One small quibble though, something that’s very rare for me with a Dac crossword: it seems to me that ‘top of’ is redundant in 8dn. The clue is ‘Unfamiliar way to top of Himalayas, perhaps’, giving STRANGE, but it seems to me that the clue could perfectly well have read ‘Unfamiliar way to Himalayas, perhaps’. Or is ‘to top of’ another way of saying ‘atop’? Presumably it is, because the range is the Himalayas, not the top of the Himalayas.

10. flashling says:

Thanks for the cover today Pierre. Apologies all round. @Wil #9 just makes the surface read better for me.

11. Pelham Barton says:

Wil @9 re 8dn: I took “to top of” as meaning “before” in a down clue.

12. Barbara says: