Guardian 25,517 – Brendan

Posted by manehi on December 28th, 2011

manehi.

This looked quite tricky at first but once the theme became clear it all began to fall into place.

11ac, 14ac, 18ac and 22ac are thematic instructions that are applied to the other across clues, indicating that [L] and [R] or [E] and [W] are to be switched.

1 TALLIES =”Records number” TA[R][R]IES=”delays”
5 BLENDER =”Mixing device” B[R]ENDE[L] is the pianist [wiki]
9 RATEL =honey badger [L]ATE[R] is 26ac
10 SANDGLASS =”TIMER” SAND G[R]ASS = “seaside plant, having transformed [Right to Left]“
11 SWAPS SIDES =”defects” also defined by 14 or 18
12 SEEN =”understood” SE[W]N=”Tacked, for example”
14 RIGHT TO LEFT =”going west” Also the commonly used right-left political spectrum.
18 LEFT TO RIGHT =”…and the opposite” LEFT=”remaining” + TO RIGHT = “to make amends”
21 CREE =”some Americans” CRE[W]=”sounded triumphant” [past participle of "to crow"]
22 WEST TO EAST double def: “Like our writing” and “not[?] how global revolution happens” [the way I see it, the Earth spins West to East]
25 RUSTINESS =”Result of lacking practice” [L]USTINESS=”vigour”
26 LATER “in time” [R]ATE[L] is 9ac
27 LAPPERS =people who wrap or folds [R]APPE[L]S=”Comes down”
28 ARRAYED =”Put in order” A[L][L]AYED=”made easier”
1 THRUSH =”singer” TH[e] + RUSH=”career”
2 LETHAL =”deadly” (All the)*
3 ILLUSTRATE =”give an example” IRATE=”Livid” around L[ibertine] + LUST=lechery
4 SUSHI =”Rice dishes” Hidden inside “impresS US HIghly”
5 BUNDESTAG =”house in Berlin” (Guest band)*
6 ERGO cryptic def? Latin for “therefore”, and used to introduce the conclusion of a syllogism. Edit thanks to sidey: [syllogise]R in EGO – “in Latin I”. – is there more to this?
7 DIAMETER =”bore” [of an engine] I AM inside DETER=”stop”
8 RESONATE =”respond sympathetically” (tears one)*
13 CONTROLLER =”Financial manager” CONTE=”short story” around ROLL=”revolutionary movement” + R[ight]
15 GARDENERS “their business is growing” GARNERS=”Brings in to store” around [mo]DE[rn]
16 GLYCEROL =”Kind of alcohol” (clergy)* + O=nothing + L[eft]
17 OFFERS UP =”checks for fit before proceeding” (suffer)* in OP=work. Chambers – “offer up: in eg joinery, to position on a trial basis, in order to test for size and suitability before fixing.”
19 PARTLY “not altogether” L[iberal] in PARTY=”Democrats, say”
20 STORED =”Kept in reserve” Hidden in “journaliST OR EDitor”
23 TESTA in botany, the coat of a seed TEST=international + A[rea]
24 WINE cryptic def Graves being a wine region [wiki]

29 Responses to “Guardian 25,517 – Brendan”

1. sidey says:

6d is syllogiseR in EGO, Latin for I.

2. manehi says:

Thanks, sidey!

3. Stephen says:

6d I think cryptic part is: Latin I = EGO, with insertion of last of syllogiseR.

4. Stella Heath says:

Thanks Manehi and Brendan.

As you say, this was confusing on the first read through, but once I saw 22ac, the rest fell into place.

Re 6d, I think it’s Latin “ego”=’I’ with the last letter of ‘syllogiser’, ie. it’s ‘conclusion’, ‘introduce’d.

Thanks for the past tense of “crow” in 21ac, I didn’t see that.

5. Bigger says:

6 down in Latin ego is I, surrounding syllogiser’s conclusion = r. Ergo “ergo”

6. Stella Heath says:

It seems I took too long to write that :)

7. NeilW says:

Thanks, manehi.

I got to the end of the across clues thinking this was going to be really tough but, fortunately, Brendan had made the downs (deliberately?) quite straightforward for the most part so everything fell into place pretty quickly. Very nicely crafted, Brendan, thank you.

8. Allan_C says:

Thanks manehi
    I agree with you about the clue to 22. Unless there’s some subtlety we haven’t twigged Brendan’s slipped up about the earth’s rotation, which is west to east, hence the sun appears to move east to west.

9. David Travis says:

Many thanks for the explanations. I’m new to cryptics and always stumped by ones like this that have lots of internal references but I can appreciate its construction. But can someone explain 11ac (“Converts 14 and 18, producing defects”)? I read this as, “Converts r-to- and l-to-r, producing defects” so I can see the definition in the first part of the clue but where does “producing defects about?

10. manehi says:

David: the clue is “producing” an answer that means “defects” as a verb – SWAPS SIDES

11. David Travis says:

@manehi: Many thanks!

12. dunsscotus says:

Thanks Brendan and Manehi. Agree with M and Allan_C re 22. Unless?? If the globe in question is the sun and not the earth, and if we use ‘revolves’ as roughly synonymous with ‘orbits’ then the sun does indeed – in relative terms! – go from east to west?? Hmmm.

13. Median says:

Brendan is correct about the rotation of the earth.

Imagine looking at a globe of the earth, with the north pole at the top, south pole at the bottom and the sun immediately behind you. Imagine, too, that it is 12.00 UTC (GMT) in winter, so London appears on the central line of longitude (0 degrees), directly in front of you. Places to the east of the UK (e.g. China) are on the right and places to the west of the UK (e.g. Brazil) are on the left. How will the globe look in a few hours? The places that were visible at 12.00 UTC will all appear to have moved to the left (and some, previously on the far left, will have disappeared round ‘the back’). Hence the earth is rotating from east to west.

14. tupu says:

Thanks manehi and Brendan

A very good puzzle with some clever clues. Partly a joint solce with visiting son.

re 22a I too was puzzled. I suppose dunsscotus is right. The sun appears to go round us from east to west.

Re 21a As Stella Heath notes in passing, ‘crew’ is, I think, the past tense rather than ‘participle’ of ‘crow’.

I had to check lappers and rappels, and did not know offers up in this sense though the answer was clear.

Ticked 5a, 11a (nice misdirection with ‘defects’), 12a, 21a, 1d, 5d (unlikely anagram), 7d (good surface).

15. morpheus says:

managed most of this enjoyable puzzle but thought 27 was a bit too hard to get (involving two rather obscure words – lapper and rappel) without resorting to aids.

16. morpheus says:

median #13 I’m struggling with your explanation. The US is behind us so the sun will be overhead in Washington say 5 hours after it has been overhead in London therefore the globe must have rotated towards the East? A casual search on the web appears to confirm this.

17. RCWhiting says:

Thanks all
    Brendan can usually be relied upon to exercise more than one’s writing hand and this was no exception.
    I do not like themes,especially those where google poduces a long list and one just has to choose the appropriate members.
    This was,thankfully, the other sort where the theme is applied in a variety of ways to many other clues. Thiswas a prime example.
    Although I solved 14 and 18 ac quite quickly there was still plenty of brain stretching left.
    I will stay out of the 22ac dispute:I, like Einstein, think it is all a question of relativity.

18. apple granny says:

We quickly got the theme and most of it fell into place, but why “lappers” in 27ac? We got “rappels” so it had to be converted to “lappers” but this meaning didn’t appear in Chambers.

19. Derek Lazenby says:

The across clues must have put some people off from even trying this one. Psychologically, it would be marginally better if the grid had been flipped through 90 degrees making the down clues the heavily crossed referenced set.

Umm, 9 and 26 are recursive. Is that allowed? Not complaining ‘cos I created one a while back as a spoof that had several examples (see my site).

20. Median says:

morpheus @16, about the rotation of the earth. You’re right. I don’t know what came over me. I should stick to crosswords. :)

21. tupu says:

Hi Apple Granny

Lapper is in my 1998 Chambers and also in Collins with this meaning of lap as wrap or enfold. It didn’t immediately strike me as right before checking it but it clearly is so. The commonest use of ‘lap’ in this sense is perhaps in ‘overlap’, and there are several other related ideas of enclosure as in ‘sitting on someone’s lap’ and in a lap (complete round) of a track.

22. David W says:

I found this puzzle a struggle, but a more satisfying one than yesterday’s. I got stuck for a long time in the NW as I had 3 as “alliterate”, through being mislead by the initial Ls. That was a clever trap in my view, and a fair one – unlike Boatman’s use of punctuation yesterday to introduce false information about the relationships of the words.

23. DROPO says:

A good puzzle. I agree that 22a makes no astronomical sense, but since it couldn’t be anything but WEST TO EAST in a crossword sense, I gave up worrying. I got all but two (THRUSH and SWAPS SIDES, which are fair and appropriately baffling :)

24. RCWhiting says:

David @22
    “unlike Boatman’s use of punctuation yesterday to introduce false information about the relationships of the words.”
    Surely that is exactly the point of a cryptic clue.

25. Tony says:

7d – I don’t think deter means stop. To deter is to persuade someone to stop but whether they stop or not is their decision.

26. Brendan says:

As Kipling didn’t say, “East is West, and West is East”.

I blundered, my apologies.

27. Stella Heath says:

A common confusion, Brendan, which didn’t bother me.

thanks for dropping by to comment.

28. David W says:

RCWhiting @ #24

I think we must agree to differ about the point where we cease to admire a clue for its clever construction, and instead come to despise it because we think the setter was cheating!

29. Huw Powell says:

This was some nice work by Brendan – as some said, looking at the across clues was very daunting, got a few downs, then sat down today and tried to get my head better wrapped around the nature of the “theme” clues, and managed to twig 14 and 18, which then changes the difficulty level from “head scratching” to “amusing romp”, since not only do they “clue” at least half the acrosses, but they also provide a solid anchor of checked letters for the down clues.

Median was doing exactly right regarding his explication of 22, until at the end he made the earth spin the wrong way. As the globe revolves, the west does indeed move to the east. Which is why the sun rises there.

Many thanks to Brendan, Manehi, and those who fully explicated 6!