Everyman No. 3404 (1st January)

Posted by The Trafites on January 8th, 2012

The Trafites.

Lorraine:  Good morning to you all and a very happy new year.

Very straight forward this week, can’t say anything had me stumped. Plenty of my old favourites being the anagram.

Big thanks to Everyman for a most enjoyable puzzle.

1. Chose bar, newly built in Welsh resort (8)
ABERSOCH (CHOSE BAR)*
5. Blunder made by fielder at Oxford? (4-2)
SLIP-UP SLIP+UP
9. One instrument after another producing a piece of music for an old dance (8)
HORNPIPE HORN+PIPE
I am sure I have seen this clue before?
10. Type of sausage obtained from one of the Greek islands, mostly (6)
SALAMI SALAMI(s)
11. Detest gaudy bar small house installed (5)
ABHOR HO(house) in (BAR*)
12. Ten inside a large church in a Devon town (9)
AXMINSTER X in (A MINSTER)
14. Formal clothes is what a woman may wear at a funeral, we hear (7,5)
MORNING DRESS cryptic homophone: MOURNING DRESS
18. St Michael viewed differently after the play (3,9)
THE ALCHEMIST (ST MICHAEL*) after THE
21. Sword found in former Catholic burial ground (9)
EXCALIBUR EX+C+(BURIAL*)
23. Last of a series of home games (5)
OMEGA hidden: hOME GAmes
24. A gallon in pool is unsatisfactorily small in amount (6)
MEAGRE A+G in MERE
25. Overwhelm one person in religious order with fruit (8)
INUNDATE I+NUN+DATE
26. Most certainly with more justification (6)
RATHER cdd
27. Visual faculty certainly needed in rowing crew (8)
EYESIGHT YES in EIGHT
1. Retreat from wood ahead of pack (6)
ASHRAM ASH+RAM
2. Blue celestial body close to Mercury (6)
EARTHY EARTH+(mercur)Y
3. Exceptionally good ball in championship match (5,4)
SUPER BOWL SUPER+BOWL
4. Tyrannical whaler, at a pinch a cruel seaman (7,4)
CAPTAIN AHAB (AT A PINCH A*)+AB
6. Pick up king, then knight (5)
LEARN LEAR+N
7. Sparkling repartee – it should bear fruit (4,4)
PEAR TREE (REPARTEE)*
8. Tedious talk about border plant (8)
PRIMROSE PROSE around RIM
13. Corny moment involved dog in classic tale (11)
MONTMORENCY (CORNY MOMENT)*
the dog from ‘three men in a boat’
15. Demonises criminal in a state capital (3,6)
DES MOINES (DEMONISES)*
16. Arrest me for flying flag (8)
STREAMER (ARREST ME)*
17. Liking poem’s initial charm (8)
PENCHANT P(oem)+ENCHANT
19. Write a note, then another, in a Malaysian state (6)
PENANG PEN+A+N(ote)+G(musical note)
20. Article left in shelter, a special gift (6)
TALENT A+L in TENT
22. Lively lager and stout (5)
LARGE (LAGER)*

6 Responses to “Everyman No. 3404 (1st January)”

1. Bamberger says:

Couldn’t get 13d. I had M?n?m?r?n?y and c e o o t to fit in.
    Clearly the second letter had to be e or o but there were too many possibilities. No solver I tried can up with the solution. So I guess that this is just one of those clues where you either know the name of the dog or you don’t. A tad unfair I think.

2. Davy says:

Thanks Lorraine,

Yes, another entertaining Everyman. I thought the surfaces for EXCALIBUR and PENCHANT, were especially good.

The anagram indicator ‘ground’ which I don’t recall seeing very often, was also used by Tramp recently. Here, we had ‘burial ground’ and Tramp used ‘medical ground’.

Thanks Everyman.

3. AJK says:

Yes, not bad, but needed to look up 1d and 13d

4. Stella says:

Thanks Lorraine and Everyman.

Last in 1d. I must make a mental note for future reference, as it’s not the first time this word’s stumped me.

Hi Bamberger, I knew which dog I was looking for, but put in “Montgomery” without thinking further – it doesn’t even fit :)

5. sidey says:

Bamberger, Couldn’t get 13d. I had M?n?m?r?n?y and c e o o t to fit in. The consonants are possibly a better way in than the vowels in this case, one has to go in fourth place and the other before the ‘y’. It then almost solves itself. Keep at it.

Thank you Lorraine.

I too liked PENCHANT, as well as CAPTAIN AHAB. I got MONTMORENCY, mainly because I discovered it as an answer for the first time only a few months ago. The problem with a wordsearch for it, Bamberger, is that because it’s a proper noun, it won’t always show up. But sidey’s advice is good – store it away and stick at it.