Independent 7873 by Quixote

Posted by nmsindy on January 9th, 2012

nmsindy.

Quixote’s first Indy appearance of 2012 and the usual excellent puzzle.    A little on the easy side even by Quixote’s accessible standards, I found.    Solving time, 15 mins.

* = anagram

ACROSS

1 LUPUS      Double definition – name of a CONSTELLATION (20A)

4 STRIPPED    S (saint) tripped (danced)

8 SHOW-OFF     Defn:  self-publicist    and ‘paying fans’ would be disappointed if a show was off

9 TOOTING     place in London – sounding a car horn so double definition

11 IN THE DOGHOUSE    Pun on ‘setter’ = crossword setter and breed of dog

13 ICY    Hidden

14 FINANCIERS   in in fanciers

16 HEDONISTIC    he (male)   don (academic) is t (foremost among tutors) i c (in charge) = it would also work as 1st letters of the three words, I think.

18 POE(t)    Edgar Allan Poe (C19 writer).     Excellent surface.

20 CONSTELLATION   (a clot insolent)*

22 PREDAWN    red (wine) in pawn = man (chess)

23 IGNEOUS    (using eo)*   extremes of echo = first and last letters

24 TREE FERN     cf    FREE TERN

25 STAFF    pun on staff = rod and staff (teachers) in a school

DOWN

1  LAST    last = shoemaker’s model

2 PROBITY    rob in pity

3 SPORTY   p (quiet – music) in sort (type)  y (yen – currency)

4 SUFFER IN SILENCE    clue splits at can’t/endure

5 RATIONALISATION  (a national riot is)*

6 PROPHECY   (epoch)* in pry (look to see)

7 EPICURE   EP (record) I  CURÉ      J the B was an ascetic.

10 GREASIER  (eager sir)*     Another good surface

12 NIGHTCAP    nigh (near) pact = agreement (reversed)

15 INITIATE     ie  “In it I ate”    Quite amusing, that

17 DANSEUR     Dan = man  (sure)*  &lit

18 PANDORA   pan (criticise)  Dora   Pandora from Greek myth opened her box when told not to and evil came out of it

19 GI  ANTS

21 ASIF     as if = you must be joking

9 Responses to “Independent 7873 by Quixote”

1. NealH says:

Lupus isn’t really a skin disease, although the appearance of rashes on the skin can be one of the symptoms.

2. crypticsue says:

I found this slightly trickier than the usual Quixote. Perahps it was the mood I was in when I looked at it. I agree with Neal about lupus too.

3. Pelham Barton says:

Thanks Quixote for an enjoyable crossword and nms for the blog. Favourite clue 15dn.

1ac: Chambers 1998 (the nearest copy I have to hand) gives lupus a chronic tuberculosis of the skin. That is good enough for me.

23ac: I think this would be better as “Like some rock”.

25ac: I think this is referring to the abolition of corporal punishment.

Thank you, nms.

I too found this tricky in places, with some clever cds. DANSEUR and EPICURE were clues I particularly liked today.

5. Paul B says:

The other PB is quite right re lupus vulgaris: lupus erythematosus (SLE) is a different kettle of nasty things, being a systemic auto-immune disease.

Interesting grid from the Don: wouldn’t mind knowing more about its origins!

6. Allan_C says:

Paul B @5: I see what you mean about the grid, although I hadn’t noticed it before. Someone recently mentioned unusual grids as (possibly) indicating the presence of nina or theme, though there doesn’t seem to be either here.

7. Quixote says:

There is no nina here. I rarely do themes or ninas for the Indy. I do try to stick to a diversity of vocabulary with fair grids (all solutions with half or more letters checked) and non-libertarian clues. This will inevitably make my puzzles relatively easy for some while encouraging others. This grid was constructed around the four long entries in the classic Everyman style. Thanks for all feedback. Q

8. flashling says:

Struggled to get going and then finished in a rush, generally harder to me than usual for Q – thanks to Don and NMS.

9. Paul B says:

Allan_C: ’twas I that offered wacky-blockedness as a possible sign of sorcery. Today’s was a cleverly-concocted double-bluff.