Posted by Pete Maclean on January 12th, 2012
Prize puzzle from the Weekend FT of December 31, 2011
I sailed through this puzzle although I had to look up the two battles (11 and 12A) and 25A (KERRY BLUE). And I do not understand 19A (INDIANA?). I think the best clues are 10A (COCKTAILS), 2D (MAIDSTONE), 7D (DRIVE) and 19A (INSTEAD).
1. ADMIRABLE – anagram of BARMAID + L[oos]E
6. MEDIC – M[agistrat]E + CID (police) backwards
9. CHIEF – CH (church) + IE (that is) + F (fine)
10. COCKTAILS – COCK (male) + TAILS (call when tossing, c.f. HEADS)
11. AUSTERLITZ – AUSTE[n] (Jane’s last to go) + L (left) in RITZ (hotel)
12. JENA – anagram of JANE
14. SPOTTED – double definition (one referring to a spotted dick)
15. DROWNED – R (river) in DOWNED (swallowed)
17. WEED OUT – WEE (minor) + homophone (“doubt”)
19. INDIANA – ??? I gather Gary Jones is an actor but I do not see how the wordplay works here. No doubt someone will enlighten me!
20. NICK – double definition
22. EMASCULATE – anagram of MALES A CUTE
25. KERRY BLUE – ERR (stray) in KY (Kentucky) + BLUE (dirty). A Kerry Blue is a type of terrier.
26. NYALA – hidden word
27. THYME – homophone (“time”)
28. REDBRIDGE – DER (German article) backwards + BRIDGE (game)
1. ACCRA – CC (cricket club) in [nic]ARA[gua]
2. MAIDSTONE – anagram of IN A MODEST
3. REFLECTION – L[ettuce] in REFECTION
4. BUCKLED – BUCK (male) + LED (was first)
5. EXCITED – EX (former spouse) + CITED (mentioned)
6. MATE – double definition
7. DRIVE – double definition
8. CASSANDRA – anagram of DANS CAR AS. Cassandra Austen was Jane’s sister. I do not see what “Desperate” is doing in this clue. Is it completely superfluous? It works in the surface reading but I don’t think it adds anything.
13. ROAD RUNNER – RUN (ladder, as in stockings) in anagram of REARDON
14. SEWING KIT – EWING (Dallas character) in SKIT (funny sketch)
16. NYASALAND – AS (as) in NYALA (26, i.e. 26 across) + N (new) + D[ecember]
18. TUMBLER – TUMBLE (cotton) + R (right)
19. INSTEAD – anagram of IT ENDS A
21. CURRY – double definition. This is a clue I have seen before and uses a meaning of ‘curry’ that is good to keep in mind for crosswords.
23. ERASE – ERAS (periods) + [timetabl]E
24. TYNE – hidden word