Independent 7876 by Nimrod

Posted by flashling on January 12th, 2012

flashling.

Nimrod again, I’m sure I seem to get more than my fair share of his recently. I found bits of this tough and some clues I still can’t explain to myself properly so help would be appreciated.

Can’t see anything thematic but I expect there is.

Across: Answer (I think) Wordplay/guesswork :-)
1 Tipstaff TIP + STAFF
5 Zeugma Z (The last letter) + U (turn) in GAME* (wasted anagind), “Karpov and his winning chances disappeared” is an example.
10 Gadwall A duck; G(erman) + AD(vert) + WALL (part of the nose)
11 Up a tree Hidden in newsgroUP AT RE-Election.
12 Into the blue [HOTEL IN TUBE]*
14 Lea Hidden in arabLE Area &lit
15 Qwerty Keyboard Q + TYKE in [A BED WORRY]*
17 A thankless task T as in TY Thank You missing from TASK giving ask. & CD
21 Yam MAY reversed
22 Respondence RE (on) + S(quare) + DEN (place of vice) in PONCE (pimp)
23 Verbose [OBSERVE]* & CD
24 Tieback ABE (Lincoln) rev in TICK – keeps hair out of the eyes
26 Remiss RE sent in front on MISS
27 Smidgeon MIDGE in SON
Down:
1 Tigris TIG + SIR rev
2 Padstow Where Rick Stein’s restaurant is – 2 defs of pack PAD/STOW
3 Tea Just a CDD I guess
4 False Eyelashes I think it’s just a cryptic def but if anyone can see wordplay?
6 Exacerbated A (one) inside (that “in” is a bit sneaky to me) [EXETER CAB]* + D(ay)
7 Gorilla GO (stab) + RILL + A
8 Adelaide ADELE around AID
9 Builder’s Bottom Just a CD I think – I’m working in BOTTOM (crack) under BUILDER + S(ite) but I can’t find S=site anywhere.
13 Throne rooms (NERO + OM) in THROE(s) (passion/animated) [Edit actually see Thomas99 #2, I managed to cross the wrong letters out whilst working it out]
16 Easy over In EAR (organ) [(a)S + YO(u}’VE]
18 Humdrum H +DR in UM and UM [Edit good point by MikeC #1 – fixed]
19 Santa Fe ANT in SAFE
20 Jerkin J + ERK (RAF Slang for aircraftman) + IN (wearing)
25 End The last/END clue so this; openings of 1a and 5 are TIP and Z – both ends of things.

12 Responses to “Independent 7876 by Nimrod”

1. MikeC says:

Thanks flashling and Nimrod. The SE corner defeated me. Excellent blog but 18 is surely DR in H[ospital] plus UM and UM?

2. Thomas99 says:

Thanks for the blog – don’t envy you! Another uniquely demanding puzzle from the inimitable Nimrod.

10a – Snout’s part is WALL because in Midsummer Night’s Dream Snout plays the part of the wall in Pyramus and Thisbe.

13d – I thought it was NERO + OM in (SHORT)* (animated is the indicator)

3. Paul B says:

Hello Flash.

17A is A plus (thankless) taSK = ASK.

4D=CD, as you suspect. Such things are attention seekers, which flutter (or are at least an aid to fluttering), and they do this seeking and fluttering ‘not really’, since they are not real.

6D is not sneaky!

9D just a CD? ‘Shows up’ has me wondering a bit, but I think it’s just a question of one’s vantage point (ground level) in noticing the terrible crevice (up on the scaffolding).

13D is NERO OM in THROS, but it beats me: somehow ‘short animated’ must equal THROS, I think! I hate it when that happens.

Brilliant stuff.

4. Paul B says:

13D thank you Thomas!

5. Thomas99 says:

We probably shouldn’t, er, look too deeply into 9d, but I suppose when the trouser/body relationship is like that, the 9d is shown (i.e. displayed) “up” while the waistband is shown “down”?

I agree with Paul B re 17a – thanks=ta, although I see the other approach is conceivable too (Azed wouldn’t allow T=thank though, I imagine). I like those reversed clues, when I can solve them that is.

6. Ian W. says:

It’s a pangram, of course, but a beast of a puzzle.

7. sidey says:

An Erk, the lowest of the low in the RAF is no more likely to be a flier than the average package tourist.

Other than that, interesting.

8. crypticsue says:

A particularly wicked Nimrod today. Took me several sessions of muttering and penny dropping (the biggest d’oh moment came with 4d). Thanks to him for the brain stretching and to flashling for the blog – if it had been me reviewing it, people would be waiting a very long time!

9. Querulous says:

Re 24, I think a tieback usually refers to curtains rather than hair.

10. flashling says:

@Ian W #6 so it is, too brain dead after this to check for a pangram. I suppose that qwerty keyboard was a good indictor of it and Nimrod considered it would be a thankless task…

11. Allan_C says:

I agree with sidey about ERK – the term applies specifically to ground crew.

I was going to quibble about EXACERBATE which to me means to make a bad situation worse, but I see that Chambers does give provoke as a secondary meaning.

12. Bertandjoyce says:

Well, you seem to have drawn the short straw here again flashling!
    We only solved about 7 clues last night before leaving it to finish this morning. It involved a lot of ‘cheating’ but once you had the answer you could work backwards through the devilishly convoluted clues. The hardest daily crossword for a long time. Our joint sigh on seeing it was Nimrod at 10:00 pm was well- founded!
    Anyway thanks Nimrod, that’s one of the reasons we prefer the Indie. The lesson to be learnt is check the setter every Thursday and start earlier!
    Thanks flashling.