Financial Times 13,906 / Loroso

Posted by Jed on January 20th, 2012

Jed.

Challenging workout from Loroso (Anax) in which all across and many down clues had themed definitions. Thought 20d very witty but have failed to parse 17 down ….

ACROSS

9 BROKERAGE   BROKE [bankrupt]  rRAGE [fury]

10 IN ONE   I [single]  NONE [zero]

11 REVENUE [profit]  EVEN [steady] in RUE [be sorry]

12 LOCKOUT  anagram of TUC LOOK

13 ADS hidden backwards [over] in NASDAQ

14 SALES LEDGER [business record]  anagram of G LEADERLESS

17 CRASH R [onset of RUIN] in CASH [finance]

18 QUA [as in Latin]  3/4 of QUAD [yard]

19 ANGEL [financier] ANGEL Islington [city location]

21 SELF-EVIDENT [obvious]  DEN [hole] in anagram of LIFE-VEST

23 ROB [mug] starts [first letters] of Refill Old Brown

25 BONANZA [sudden wealth]  A NZ [a country] in A NOB backwards [recalled] NOB [fat cat!]

27 AUCTION [selling] U [university] in ACTION [lawsuit]

17 CASH BOOK [business account]

20 GARRISON [defend] NO SIR RAG all backwards [rising]

22 LENDER take first letter off SLENDER [slight]

24 BANKER [capitalist] take N out leaves BAKER who could make a gooseberry fool

26 NOTE NOT Euro

27 ACTS [parliaments pass them] CT [court] in AS [while]

12 Responses to “Financial Times 13,906 / Loroso”

1. anax says:

For those of you who bought the newspaper version or downloaded the PDF in the early hours, the puzzle has a preamble which shouldn’t be there (now corrected online). It was accidentally left in place from a previous puzzle.

Thanks for the blog, Jed. I got stuck in the bottom right corner and didn’t get 29ac, but I think you mean OK in anagram of OUR TEST.

Many thanks, Loroso, for a great puzzle. I was getting along swimmingly until I got stuckon the last five. I don’t think I would ever have seen 20dn!

3. Gaufrid says:

Thanks Jed
    17dn took me a while to parse (I’ve only just seen it after several revisits).

It is BASH (go) COOK (falsify) with the first letters interchanged (initially confused).

4. MikeC says:

Thanks Jed and Loroso/Anax. Enjoyed this one. 17d was my last in as well. For a while I thought this was going to be a pangram but a good theme is preferable to a J, in my book.

5. crypticsue says:

Loroso is definitely ‘friendly Anax’. Well I thought so anyway as I romped through this very nice crossword. Thanks to him and Jed too.

6. Lenny says:

In contrast to CrypticSue, I usually find that Loroso is Anax’s more troublesome brother. I manage to stumble through most Anaxes but I am pleased to say that this is the first Loroso that I have ever been able to finish. Last in was Boa Vista, on wordplay. I had never heard of it despite the fact that 250 000 people contrive to live there without embarrassment.

I also had trouble with outstroke, which is in the online dictionaries but I have not been able to find in the old-fashioned printed versions. Presumably Loroso thought that the Cash Book clue would be too easy if he mentioned the word Spooner. I too, was not able to parse garrison, thanks Jed.

I liked the FT-friendly theme. Readers of the FT may not be keen on Loan Shark being used as a synonym for Lender. Presumably the question mark is intended to cover the DBE.

7. Conrad Cork says:

At least Anx didn’t invoke Spooner in 17d, for which relief much thanks.

8. Thomas99 says:

I enjoyed this, in spite of the bemusing note at the top. Fortunately I recognised it from the one where the definitions were all opposites, so suspected a mistake – although I did for a while imagine there might be some hidden commentary on the City if you put them together (“Security firm combined steady profits by management…”).

I found it easier than yesterday’s Anax, with just a few real testers, so I suppose I’m with crypticsue on Anax v Loroso. It was also – surprisingly? – easier than Bonxie in the Guardian today, I thought.

9. anax says:

Hi all, and congrats to Jed on a fine and fair debut FT blog.

Spooner indeed. Yes, I avoid him if I can. It’s just unfortunate that in cryptic parlance we have so little to choose from to indicate the S******ism – my choice at this clue was far from original.

Thanks for all your comments.

10. Jan says:

Thanks to Jed and Anax.

I failed on 2d and couldn’t explain 17d although the answer seemed obvious. The fact that, “Initially confused, … “, gives a letter C to start the solution just resulted in Jan confusedly wondering where ASHBOOK came from. Maybe it could have been muddled or even exchanged to fit the financial theme.

11. Sil van den Hoek says:

Friday evening, 6pm.
    He: “Bonxie or Loroso?”
    She: “Loroso?” (yes, with a question mark :))

I was pleasantly surprised.
    As you know, Dean, I am a big Loroso fan.
    Actually, just like Lenny, I find these puzzles usually harder than the Anax ones, but I also have to say: not today.

Everything fell in place very quickly, and certainly in the North.
    As one who knows a bit about Portugal, BOA VISTA was clear enough [the Brazilians speak Portuguese].
    CASH BOOK was no problem to enter, but the explanation was.
    Gaufrid’s help was much needed here. In the meantime, I should have known that Loroso (in all his disguises) doesn’t like the term “Spoonerism” – he got his way around it on several other occasions.

Relatively easy puzzle, well clued, with a “theme” that is totally appropriate for the FT, but doesn’t appeal to me at all.
    I don’t think I would ever like to write a crossword with a City theme like this, but it was nonetheless a very enjoyable solve.

Luckily, our last one in was GARRISON (20d).
    Why? Because of the smile that ‘No Sir’ raised.
    A happy ending to a good puzzle, that started with some twinkling in the eye too (IN ONE).

Thanks Jed & Loroso (or whatever you call yourself whenever :)).

12. Tom_I says:

24d: I thought a fool was pureed fruit mixed with cream. Why would a baker make that?