Everyman No. 3406 (15th January)

Posted by The Trafites on January 22nd, 2012

The Trafites.

Nick:   Sorry for the lateness of the blog this morning, but we have had a pretty poor week with bad colds/flu (and me working nightshift), Lorraine has to babysit her grandchildren, and what with one of our tropical fish about to snuff it, the crossword blog got overlooked on Friday/Saturday – anyway, here we are.

Reading Lorraines’ notes, this was a standard Everyman puzzle, with the usual sprinkling of anagrams and ‘clear as a bell’ wordplay.

19dn stands out – a very clever clue, but I am sure this word must have been clued similar in the past.

1. Soldier given order at start of operation (8)
COMMANDO COMMAND+O
5. Rise when clubs close (6)
ASCEND AS[when]+C(lubs)+END
9. Dog, adult one about to be put on tight lead (8)
AIREDALE A+I+RE+(LEAD*)
10. Picture producer, one leaving America in disguise (6)
CAMERA (AMER[i]CA)*
12. Rush round with enthusiasm (5)
GUSTO GUST+O
13. Verbal attack made by bishop on verge (9)
BROADSIDE B+ROADSIDE
14. Ride, a bit drunk, on bypass (5-2-5)
MERRY-GO-ROUND MERRY+GO ROUND
18. Novel metaphor Otto translated (4,2,3,3)
ROOM AT THE TOP (METAPHOR OTTO)*
21. Old lady, right to attend county game with traveller (5,4)
MARCO POLO MA+R+CO[county]+POLO
23. Measure mountain range (5)
CHAIN dd
24. Unemotional, head of technology in firm (6)
STOLID T(echnology) in SOLID
25. Emblem of Christ, possibly 500 guineas (5,3)
AGNUS DEI (D[500]+GUINEAS)*
26. Read my novel, it’s wonderful (6)
DREAMY (READ MY)*
27. Beer brewed by agreeable girl (8)
BERENICE (BEER*)+NICE
1. Cleaner, for example, put up rate (6)
CHARGE CHAR+(EG<)
2. Sullen and ill-tempered detective grabbing ring (6)
MOROSE O in (detective inspector)MORSE
3. Legendary beauty devilish man adored (9)
ANDROMEDA (MAN ADORED)*
&lit?
4. Helping to support French composer? No second thought required (12)
DELIBERATION RATION[helping] after DELIBE(s)
6. Son, with difficulty, finds a broken piece of pottery (5)
SHARD S+HARD
7. Retired American after English warrant (8)
EMERITUS US after (E+MERIT)
8. Unproductive results in blind alleys (4,4)
DEAD ENDS cdd
11. Go-go dancing with Bowie that is encapsulating old style of music (6-6)
BOOGIE-WOOGIE O(ld) in ((GO-GO+BOWIE*)+IE)
15. The origin of a problem, so acute or otherwise (4,5)
ROOT CAUSE (SO ACUTE OR)
16. Professional shot wide, we hear, and swore (8)
PROMISED PRO+homophone: MISSED
17. Golfing group, perhaps in favour of fee, by the sound of it (8)
FOURSOME homophone: FOR SUM
19. Three consecutive letters from a spiritual leader? (6)
GANDHI G and HI
very clever clue!
20. Whole convent I renovated? Just a part (6)
ENTIRE hidden: convENT I REnovated
22. Hatred coming from platform lacking leadership (5)
ODIUM (p)ODIUM

6 Responses to “Everyman No. 3406 (15th January)”

1. Bamberger says:

Got stuck on 27a -even when the only possibility seemed to be Berenice, I couldn’t think of anyone called by that name.
    Had a similar problem with 25a where I can’t remember ever coming across agnus before.

2. Davy says:

Thanks Nick,

I don’t ever remember you doing the blog before but I’m probably wrong.

Bamberger : the latest Bond girl is called Bérénice Marlohe and I found her name via Google. That’s how I confirmed that the answer was correct. I presume it’s a French name. AGNUS DEI is a Latin phrase that has been used many, many times in crosswords but I created a problem for myself by putting in Angus by mistake.

I especially liked GANDHI and ENTIRE which was very well hidden. Thanks Everyman.

3. Hugh says:

thanks. i got just over half this week, with the bottom half being my problem area. i just didn’t know 25ac , even though I knew it must be d and an anagram of guineas.

4. Robi says:

Typical, enjoyable Everyman.

Thanks, Nick. Gordius (Guardian 24,619) gave us: ‘Nationalist who was good with greeting’ for GANDHI. I didn’t know BERENICE, but the anagram was well signposted.

Thanks, Nick. Sorry to hear about your and Lorraine’s travails!

Luckily I do know someone called Berenice, but I’ll admit it isn’t a terribly common name; the clueing was sound, though. I have seen the GANDHI clue before, but for those that are coming across it for the first time, it will have raised a smile. Plenty of other good stuff too, thank you to Everyman.

6. andy smith says:

Thanks Nick.

FWIW by coincidence AGNUS DEI was also clued in the previous day’s Guardian prize by Brummie.