Independent on Sunday 1,143 by Crosophile

Posted by Simon Harris on January 22nd, 2012

Simon Harris.

I think it’s my turn to blog the IoS. The calendar says so, though the Christmas break threw the rota out of whack a little. Apologies if I’m stepping on anyone’s toes.

Our friend, and occasional nemesis, Anax has recently been chairing a bit of a debate about the relative hardness of Sunday cryptics, and by coincidence, I found this to be one of the hardest IoS cryptics I’ve ever had to blog. It may just be that my brain was AWOL, having spent the week snowed under by relentless paperwork, so it will be interesting to hear how other solvers got on.

9 REACTIONS – from CREATIONS, with the “head” C moved rightwards, hence “to the East”.
10 ETUDE – ET + DUE*.
11 SUEDE – hom. of “swayed”.
12 TEA GARDEN – T[oast] + (AGAR in EDEN).
13 MARKSMAN – sort of a cryptic definition, or even two of them. An examiner marks papers, and a marksman shoots things, thus his targets.
15 ATTUNE – TAUTEN*.
17 SYMPATHETICALLY – (SMALL PAY + YET CHIT)*.
20 THRICE – TH[e] + RICE.
21 PEDESTAL – (D[rain] + LET PEAS)*.
24 ERADICATE – AD in (ERICA + T[histl]E).
25 HABIT – B[ody] ([t]HA[t] + IT). A wonderfully complicated clue.
27 RILKE – ILK in R.E.. A Bohemian–Austrian poet, who I think I had just about heard of.
28 STEPCHILD – STEP (“stage”) + CHILD (“youngster”).
1 PRESUMESP + RESUMES.
2 GAME – dd. Game meat is often hung to mature it, and of course the famous game named “hangman”.
3 ATHENS – [he]ATHENS.
4 FOOTPATHS – (SPOOF THAT)*.
5 OSCAR – 0 + SCAR.
6 SEMANTIC – (CIT[e] + NAMES)<.
7 QUADRUPLETQU + AD + R + UP + LET.
8 SEANCE – SEAN + C.A..
14 REMARKABLY – REMARK ABLY. Clever stuff.
16 STEEPENEDE in (STEEP + END).
18 ASCRIBED – CRIB in AS[k]ED.
19 YULETIDE – an interesting hom. of “Yew’ll” + hom. of “tied”.
20 THEORY – (HER TOY)*.
22 ETHICS – “Essex” pronounced with a lisp.
23 SAY-SO – SAYS + 0.
26 BOILB + OIL.

5 Responses to “Independent on Sunday 1,143 by Crosophile”

1. flashling says:

Actually I did wonder if this puzzle was the inspiration for Anax’s posts and poll, found it rather tough and didn’t complete all the RHS, not that I’m complaining, if all crosswords were trivial there’d be little point doing any. Well done to Crosophile for bamboozling me and thanks Simon for showing me what I missed.

2. Cumbrian says:

I found this very hard going, spread over several sessions, but got most of it. 6d defeated me; is “recurrence” supposed to indicate the reversal? Whereas I can understand that it can mean “come up”, in my mind there’s always an implicit “again”, so if “recurrence” can indicate reversal, would “repeat”? I think I’m missing something………. (brain cells probably)

Difficult to choose a favourite clue, with so many that seemed horribly obscure followed by that moment of enlightenment and appreciation. Thanks for the puzzle and the blog.

3. nmsindy says:

Thanks, Crosophile and Simon. Maybe I was just a bit lucky but I did not find this puzzle especially difficult. The one I was not 100% sure about, though reasonably confident, was GAME – I thought, like the blogger, that it referred to the game ‘hangman’ but wondered if the other part referred to game being displayed as trophies while being by no means sure at all.

4. Crosophile says:

V. belated thanks to Simon and for other comments. Simon was spot on in his understanding of 2d [game].
    I hadn’t intended the puzzle to be particularly difficult so, glad nmsindy at least didn’t struggle too much.

5. colette says:

Found this crossword v difficult..kept coming back to it, but finally curiosity got the better of me and I had to find the solutions!