Financial Times no.13,911 by HAMILTON

Posted by Ringo on January 26th, 2012

Ringo.

Had a pretty miserable time with this, I’m afraid. The theme was partly, but not entirely, to blame…

ACROSS

1. STRINE  Anagram of (ma)sterin(g); ‘strine’ is a term for Australian slang

4. BRISBANE  BR [British Rail – old transporter] + is + bane [source of misery]; Brisbane was founded as a colony for transported convicts

9. RIPPER  P(aprika) within riper [more mature]

10. BRAN-MASH  Anagram of barn + mash [grind]

12. DROLLERY  Rolle(r) [Rolls Royce, limo] within dry [boring]

13. DINKUM  DINK [Double Income, No Kids] + (pl)um(my)

15. SLAB  This is a strine term for 24 cans of beer, but I’m afraid I need help for the rest…

16. WALLFLOWER  Double definition

19. THE GAME’S UP  Double definition, alluding to a whistle-blowing referee at the end of a game

20, 23. COAT HANGER  Anagram of at no charge; ‘the coat hanger’ is a slang term for the Sydney Harbour Bridge

25. MADRIGAL  Anagram of admiral (byn)g

27. RADIATOR  Anagram of diar(y) + reversal of rota [timetable]

28. SPOOKY  O [nothing] + OK [in order] within spy [see]

29. SPYGLASS  Spy [such as James Bond] + g(ood) + lass [girl]

30. HOOROO  Four O(scars), the first two within hr [hour] to give a strine term for ‘goodbye’ or ‘cheers’

DOWN

1. STRIDES  Double definition: ‘pants’ as in ‘trousers’

2. REPROBATE  Pro [expert] within rebate [money back]; see 17dn.

3. NEEDLE  Needlework [embroidery] minus work [effort]

5. RORT  R(ight) + (t)ort [wrong]? ‘Rort’ is a strine word for corruption

6. SENSIBLE  Anagram of b(a)selines

7. ABACK  A back [a defender]

8. EXHUMER  Ex [former] + Hume [Basil Hume (1923-99), cardinal and Archbishop of Westminster] + R(ule)

11. CREAMED  Double definition – though shouldn’t it be picked off the best examples? Or have I got this wrong?

14. PLEURAE  Ur [old city] within plea [request] + E(uropean) to give the filmy substances within the lungs

17. WRONGDOER  Doer is ‘rode’, wrongly…

18. HATE MAIL  Spoonerisation of mate [friend] + hail [welcome]

19. T-SHIRTS  No idea. Help!

21. TALLY-HO  Double-definition; a hunting cry meaning ‘there’s the fox!’, and a term for a four-in-hand carriage

22. TROPPO  Reversal of port [drink] + Po [Italian river]

24. NUDDY  Nu [Greek letter] + DD [Doctor of Divinity, theologian] + y(ou)

26. TOGS  Reversal of got [bought] + (s)wimming, with ‘swimming’ doing double duty(?)

10 Responses to “Financial Times no.13,911 by HAMILTON”

1. George Ashton says:

Also struggled with this, many thanks and keep up the good work.
    19 down is Nightshirts (pyjamas) with high (near) removed

2. Gaufrid says:

Thanks Ringo
    Your preamble sums up how I felt when completing this puzzle, not being conversant with Australian vernacular.

I parsed 1ac as STRE[et] (two-thirds of the way) around (mastering) IN (popular).

I’m not that happy with 5dn since surely the wordplay leads to TORR, or at a stretch ORTR, as there is no indicator for ‘right’ coming before ‘partly wrong’.

Regarding your query about 15ac, Wikipedia states that a Slab Hut is a kind of dwelling or shed made from slabs of split or sawn timber and one of the definitions in Chambers for ‘slab’ is “a large thick slice of cake, etc”.

Thanks for the blog, Ringo.

I can’t believe I persevered with this, once I’d spotted the theme but it became horribly compulsive!

I read 1ac as Gaufrid did and my creative reading of 5dn was wROng + RT, which takes care of the order but [t]ORT does seem more reasonable.

On second thoughts, the clue is ‘partly’ wrong, which does perhaps suggest wROng, since [t]ORT is mostly wrong!

5. crypticsue says:

As Eileen says, horrible compulsive. I never knew wasting time in front of Neighbours years ago would come in so useful, although I will admit to texting No 2 son (currently in Melbourne) for a couple of the anwers. Thanks Ringo and Hamilton. I imagine quite a few people will find this a ‘theme too far’.

6. Paul B says:

Ah mate it’s RO (partly wROng) plus RT (abbrev. rt. for right, in Collins etc.).

7. Steve says:

I’d have been totally stonkered without the dictionary of Australian slang at koala.net. By the way, it is Australia Day today.

8. MikeC says:

Thanks Ringo and Hamilton. Too tough for me, I’m afraid. The frequent Oz references so bemused me that I failed on lots of “ordinary” clues as well. I guess it’s a lesson about how solvers elsewhere must feel about excessively Anglo-centric clues!

9. Alberich says:

I enjoyed this, but then I like to consider myself something of an expert on Australian linguistics – since I’m probably the only person on this planet sad enough to have seen every single episode of Prisoner: Cell Block H. I was keeping an eye out for “dunny”, “smoko” and “keep nit”.

I interpreted 26 Down as GOT reversed + S for singular, which isn’t too far of a leap from “one-piece”.

A ripper of a puzzle!

10. ACP says:

Finally a puzzle with local (from down here) knowledge.

Yes, MikeC, we do have to struggle through a lot of Anglo stuff (like BR, for one) but what do we expect . . . it’s all good fun.