Independent 7,889 / Klingsor

Posted by RatkojaRiku on January 27th, 2012

RatkojaRiku.

I haven’t blogged many Klingsor puzzles – just two to date – and don’t really have much a track record against him, so I approached this with a degree of trepidation in a week less blogging time than I would have liked. The first time I remember having struggled to finish, while the second time had proved an easier solve. This time round I relived that very first experience, although it must be said that I have enjoyed and admired all three of these Klingsors puzzles.

Basically, my problem lay mainly in understanding the wordplay of clues that I had solved from the definition, something that I often encounter in clues that are longer and with more elaborate wordplay: for example, I guessed 14D instantly, but then couldn’t fathom the wordplay. Furthermore, it took me ages to spot the double definition at 21 and I needed Chambers to explain 24.

As for my favourites, I loved the splitting of definition from wordplay of Glenn / Miller at 23 and of current / affairs at 26; the composite anagrams and & lits. at 10, 11 and 25; and the smoothest of surfaces at 12. I think my overall favourite is 16, on the strength of its smooth surface, well hidden anagram and the fact that one might have been tricked into filling in “pursuing” by mistake.

*(…) indicates an anagram

1   AUDACITY AUD<i> (=car; “I’ll get out” means the letter “i” is dropped) + A + CITY (=London maybe); the definition is simply “nerve”

5   THYMUS Hidden (“piece of”) in “praiseworTHY MUSic”; the thymus is a ductless gland near the root of the neck, hence “organ”

10   THE MORNING
AFTER
*(A NIGHT OF MERR<im>ENT); “when I’m out” means that the letters “im” are dropped; “getting drunk” is anagram indicator; & lit.

11   AMBASSADOR *(ABROAD + <i>M<p>A<s>S<e>S); “regularly” means alternate letters only; “resolved” is anagram indicator; & lit.

13   THAI THAI<s>; “curtailed” means last letter is dropped; Thaïs is an opera in three acts by French composer Jules Massenet

15   TOUCH UP OUCH (=that was painful) in TUP (=sheep)

17   SEEPAGE E.G. (=for example) + A + PEE’S (=leak’s, i.e. urination); “back” indicates reversal; & lit.

18   SIDECAR SIDE (=bank, e.g. of river) + C<apital> (“first instalment of” means first letter only) + <b>AR (“not opening” means first letter is dropped)

19   SUFFICE [F F (=fellows, i.e. 2 x F) + I C (=in charge)] in SUE (=petition); the definition is “do” as it “£10 will do/suffice”

21   GORE Double definition: GORE is “result of bleeding”, as a noun AND “wound”, as a verb, e.g. pierce with horn

22   BUDGERIGAR RIGA (=capital, i.e. of Riga) in [BUDGE<t> (=expensive; “mostly” means last letter dropped) + R (=right)]

25   VAUGHAN
WILLIAMS
UGH (=disgusted expression) in *(WA<s> + VILLA’S MAIN); “nearly” means last letter dropped; “Bent” is anagram indicator; the definition is “scorer”, referring to English composer Ralph Vaughan Williams (1872-1958)

27   ASSENT Homophone (“as we speak”) of “ascent” (=mounting)

28   ETHIOPIA E<nemy>(“leader of” means first letter only) +[OP (=work) in *(HAITI)]; “involved” is anagram indicator

1   ATTRACT TRA (ART=pictures, perhaps; “put up” indicates vertical reversal) in *(ATT<i>C); “one (=I)’s cleared out” means the letter “i” is dropped from anagram; “renovated” is anagram indicator

2   DOE DO (=beat up) + E (=European)

3   CROSSCHECK CROSS (=the kiss, when represented as a letter “x”) + CHECK(homophone - “you say” – of “Czech”, i.e. Smetana, the Czech composer)

4   TANYA [A + N<urser>Y] in TA (=volunteers, i.e. Territorial Army); “exterior” means first and last letter only; the definition is simply “she”, i.e. a girl’s name

6   HAAR First letters (“starts of”) H<ide> A<queduct> A<cross> R<iver>; a haar is a raw sea mist along the North Sea coast

7   MATCHMAKING M (=mark) + AT (=attending) + CH (=church) + MA (=mother) + KIN (=family) + G (=good)

8   SURMISE [M (=male) + IS] in SURE (=certain)

9   ENDORSES END (=finish) + <h>ORSES (=more than one running at <H>aydock Pack; the letter “h” is dropped from clue and solution)

12   BLUNDERBUSS BUS (=public transport) in BLUNDERS (=mistakes); a blunderbuss was a short handgun with a wide bore, hence “one fired one”

14   ZEFFIRELLI *(Z (=last letter, i.e. of alphabet) + R<evealing> (“chiefly” means first letter only + LIFE + LIFE (“double life” means words figures twice in anagram); “that’s bizarre” is anagram indicator; the reference is to Italian film director Franco Zeffirelli (1923-)

16   PURSUANT *(UPTURN A + <busines>S);
“at last” means last letter only; “is rolling” is anagram indicator

18   SEGOVIA EGO (=self-confidence) in [S (=special) + VIA (=through)]; the reference is to Spanish classical guitarist Andrés Segovia (1893-1987)

20   EURASIA A (=one) + IS + A + RUE (=to regret); “going North” indicates vertical reversal

23   GRIST G<lenn> (“introduction to” means first letter only) + RIS(SIR=gentleman; “is up” indicates vertical reversal) + T (=time)

24   SHUN Double definition: SHUN means to “avoid”, dodge AND (cryptically) “rigid standing order”, i.e. the military command to stand to attention

26   AMP M (=millions) in [A<ffairs> P<rogrammes> (“at first” means first letters only)]

11 Responses to “Independent 7,889 / Klingsor”

Super blog, RatkojaRiku, thank you.

We don’t see Klingsor very often in the Indy, so this was a welcome offering. It’s funny how folk see clues differently: I solved and parsed GORE and SHUN straightaway. But I needed your help to understand VAUGHAN WILLIAMS, which had a great surface. Although of course we’ve never forgiven him for quitting Sunderland … where HAAR would be called FRET, for what it’s worth. I fancy HAAR is more used north of the Tweed, but I could be wrong.

Lots of good clues: my favourites were THE MORNING AFTER, TOUCH UP, SUFFICE and GRIST.

Thanks to Klingsor for a very good puzzle.

Thanks, RatkojaRiku – as K’s D says a super blog of a super puzzle, so many thanks to Klingsor, on a welcome return.

All of the clues were good but my ticks were for THE MORNING AFTER, TOUCH UP, VAUGHAN WILLIAMS [two], GRIST and AMBASSADOR.

Hugely enjoyable and worth the wait!

[Yes, I've come across HAAR in Scotland - in both senses! ;-)]

3. Thomas99 says:

Very enjoyable – a nice contrast/complement to Gordius in the Guardian, who is very libertarian today. We know from his website that Klingsor is basically a Ximenean who likes to keep to the rules as much as possible – but what fun he has all the same!

I think my favourite was Vaughan Williams. I wondered if the “main” was a deliberate extra clue. He wrote the “Sea Symphony” and various other things inspired by the “main”.

4. flashling says:

Cheers RR I’m glad you explained SHUN because it was lost on me why it was correct – I found this easier otherwise than I expected, and was reluctant to enter GORE as it seemed too obvious and I thought there must be more to this. Thanks Kingsor for workout, was expecting Phi(sh)on friday, but a pleasant change.

5. nmsindy says:

Thanks, RatkojaRiku, and Klingsor. Yes I found this very pleasing and not too difficult with the fluent surface readings I associate with this setter.

6. Klingsor says:

Thanks for the nice comments. Thomas99 is far too kind, in thaat he credits me with much more ingenuity than I actually possess. The link between “main” and the Sea Symphony was purely coincidental, as was my recent purchase of Hickox/LSO recording of the symphony which arrived from Amazon only a couple of days ago. Excellent blog, much appreciated.

7. scchua says:

Thanks, RatkojaRiku for the excellent blog, and Klingsor for the excellent puzzle. It’s rare that I can finish a Klingsor in one sitting, and, happily, today was one of them. Plenty to enjoy.

It’s also an opportunity (if I may be allowed to go off-topic for a bit) to ask Klingsor-Alberich, if anything’s happened to his website that I haven’t been able to access for the last month or so – or is just me?

8. Klingsor says:

Scchua – not having any problems accessing it myself and not had any complaints. If you want to email me at krizovky2002 at seznam dot CZ I’ll try to sort it out.

9. scchua says:

Thanks Klingsor, will do.

10. Allan_C says:

No Dac on Wednesday, no Phi on Friday – what is the world coming to?

Seriously, though, a satisfying puzzle from Klingsor with, as one expects, some music-related answers and several clues with musical surfaces. And thanks, RatkojaRiku, for the blog.

Re 24d, SHUN is the pronunciation of the last syllable of “Attention”, the order typically being “Squad: Attennn…… SHUN!”, the squaddies then snapping to attention on that last syllable.

Liked GORE. If I may go slightly off topic it was bizarrely appropriate that the Manchester HQ of the Blood Transfusion Service used to be (maybe still is?) at the end of Gore Street! Though I believe the official address was in the adjoining street.

11. Bertandjoyce says:

Enjoyed the puzzle, especially after completing Gordius earlier. Surface reading was excellent and COD was a toss up betwen 7d and 17a.
    Thanks klingsor for bringing a smile to our faces and RR for the excellent blog!