Guardian 25,545 – Orlando

Posted by manehi on January 30th, 2012

manehi.

A little tougher than usual for a Monday – my favourite clues were 19 and 20.

9 UNIFY =”Get together” UNI=”where students are” + F[riendl]Y=”extremely friendly”
10 RILLETTES =”Potted meat” [wiki] LETT=”European” inside RILES=”nettles”
11 DISTEMPER =”Coat” (of paint) and a LAB=”18″ might suffer from canine DISTEMPER
12 UDDER =”Source of milk” [j]UDDER=”shake”, losing the j for “judge”
13 GRANGES =”Country houses” [wate]R=”last bit of water” inside GANGES=”river”
15 TEA ROOM =”cafe” TEAM=”Wolves, say” (the football club) around ROO=short for kangaroo=”small herbivore”
17 OFFAL =”lights etc”, where lights=animal lungs OFFA=”Old king” + L[eft]
18 LAB =”dog”, “little” referring to the abbreviated form hidden in [Cil]LA B[lack], indicator is the “‘s” meaning “has” i.e. contains.
20 INUIT =”Northerners” I=”one” NUIT=”night in Quebec” (i.e. in French)
22 FOPPISH “like a dandy” F[ine] + OP=”work” + PISH=”Fiddlesticks”
25 SENATOR =”KENNEDY, perhaps” (treason)*
26 FLING double def a “Dance”, or to “cast” as in to throw
27 NO-BRAINER =”piece of cake” NOB=”head” + [t]RAINER=”teacher ignoring first”
30 EYEBALLED =”Being looked at” sounds like “I bawled”, hence “I wept out loud”
31 EVENT =”item in programme” [s]EVENT[een] = “17 not seen”
1 FUND =”Pay for” FUN=”enjoyable” + D[ay]
2 TIPSTAFF =”Official” [wiki] TIP=”list”=tilt to one side, + STAFF=”employees”
3 TYPE double def “Use keys” or “class”
4 PROPOSAL =”motion” PROP=”Part of aircraft” + (also)*
5 FLORET =”a bit of a bloomer” FRET=”Worry” about LO=”old-fashioned look”
6 PECULATION =”criminal activity” (embezzlement) [s]PECULATION
7 STUDIO =”broadcasting location” STUD=”Boss” (an ornamental protrusion) + IO=”satellite” (moon of Jupiter)
8 USER =”Addict” contained in [tro]USER[ing]
13 GO OFF double def “Stop loving” and “fall asleep”
14 GILLINGHAM =”somewhere in Kent” GINGHAM=”Cotton” around (“skirts”) ILL=”laid up”
16 MATER “Old lady” MAT[t]ER=”affair”, with only half of its central letters (“heart”)
19 BUSYBODY =”Butter in” (someone who butts in) BODY=”trunk” after BUSY=slang for “policeman”
21 UNTENDED =”unhusbanded” U=”Posh” + [i]NTENDED=”fiancee”, having lost i=”one
23 PAIRED =”in braces”, brace=pair P[resenter] + AIRED=”broadcast”
24 HANDLE double def “Name” and “that’s on the door”
26 FEET =”What’s in his boots?” FE=chemical symbol for “iron” + [Duk]E + [wi]T
28 ARES =Greek “God” of war [c]ARES=”worries”, having lost c[irca]=”about”
29 RATE =”Judge” and you can have the “going” RATE

28 Responses to “Guardian 25,545 – Orlando”

1. andy smith says:

Thanks for the blog Manehi – I couldn’t see what was going on in 19, very sneaky!

2. tupu says:

Thanks manehi for a clear concise blog and Orlando for a typically good puzzle with smooth surfaces and light amusing touches.

I was briefly held up in the NW corner having brashly assumed 9a would be union but a more careful reading reading of the clue and difficulty with 3d showed this to be untenable.

I ticked 27a, 30a, 31a, and 19d as the most immediately pleasing clues in a generally polished puzzle but others e.g. 15a also appealed.

Thanks for the good blog, Manehi, and Orlando for a fun puzzle, which I really enjoyed.

Lots of lovely surfaces, as ever from Orlando – I liked the ‘lift and separate’ elements in ‘head teacher’,’Iron Duke’ and ‘cotton skirts’, plus, in the same [down] clue, the misdirecting ‘laid up’.

Other favourite clues: BUSYBODY [I only recently learned - from a crossword - busy = policeman and fortunately remembered it], INUIT and EVENT.

4. NeilW says:

Thanks, manehi. I really enjoyed this, especially for the smooth surfaces.

I thought it was particularly nice of Orlando to use Quebec as the indicator for a French word, thus putting his northerners on the right continent.

5. Rosmarinus says:

A real toughie for a Monday. Possibly the reason for the few replies at this time of day. Hope Rufus is back next week. Monday is a busy day for me so I’ve had to resort to the cheat button. An excellent blog though. Thank you Manehi.

A very good puzzle from Orlando, but definitely trickier in places than he often is. Plenty of good surfaces with some nice misdirection. With the Cilla clue, I was off on the trail of a word pronounced with a Scouse accent, but I didn’t have a lorra success with that route.

FOPPISH and INUIT hit the spot today. Thanks to blogger and setter.

7. Bertandjoyce says:

A really enjoyable solve over a cup of coffee this morning. The surface reading was excellent throughout and some good ‘sneaky’ clues to get you thinking.
    On a first run through, many looked impossible but when you found the answers you really appreciated the expert cluing.

Thanks Manehi for the blog although we didn’t need to check on any of the answers this morning! Thanks to Orlando for a great start to the week.

8. Dave Ellison says:

My coffee would have been stone cold today – definitely tougher than ususal, but still enjoyable.

Thanks for the explanations to a couple manehi. I toyed with TOP DOGS for 15a for a while (but of course couldn’t parse it).

Until I realised, I thought 15 was PAIRS + B, and convinced myself that Libby Purves must be spelled PAIRBS!

9. Robi says:

Clever crossword, which was much more difficult than a usual Monday one.

Thanks, manehi for explaining all. Who ever uses busy=policeman, apart from crossword setters? No one, I thought so! Didn’t know TIPSTAFF or RILLETTES, thanks for the Wiki links. Of course, I was tricked by OFFAL (17) not being included in the answer to EVENT. Another 4 or 5 I failed to parse correctly (including NO BRAINER=piece of cake.) Perhaps I should try the Quiptic.

10. Gervase says:

Thanks, manehi.

I really enjoyed this puzzle, full of well constructed clues with good surfaces. Favourites: 15a, 31a, 7d, 14d, 19d, 23d, 28d – a long list. I liked the misleading ‘butter in’ and ‘in braces’ as definitions, and the use of ‘satellite’ = IO.

Bravo, Orlando – what a great start to the week.

11. brucew_aus says:

Printed this for the train ride home tonight and it took me well into the evening to complete and parse. This was my 3rd Orlando and by far the hardest – made harder for we colonists with all of the British local knowledge – busy (policeman), Wolves and Gillingham – nice to see the roo get a mention though :). Thought Senator Kennedy and the link to treason was clever and liked the construction of 19D and 27A – that whole SE corner was the challenge. Thanks O .. enjoyed it !

12. NeilW says:

Robi, last time out it was used, I believe with the spelling “the bizzies” or similar; there was a little discussion on these pages and it was said to be a scouse expression… “Bizzy” is in Chambers and explained as “perhaps from BUSYBODY”!!

13. chas says:

Thanks to manehi for the blog. On 7d I thought it should be studio and I could see Boss=STUD but I had totally forgotten IO as a moon of Jupiter :(

On 18a I also initially tried to find a scouse pronunciation of a dog then finally spotted the included word!

14. crypticsue says:

Very enjoyable start to the week – I struggled quite a lot with the NE corner but got there in the end. Thanks to Orlando and manehi.

15. Robi says:

Thanks NeilW @12; it was Orlando last time! (Guardian 25055) As you say, bizzy or bizzie seems to be the more usual Scouse expression.

16. RCWhiting says:

Thanks all
    A fraction harder than the usual Monday efforts, for which thanks.
    I liked the missing letters (21d, 27 ac) and even better the missing word (31ac).
    I did not know ‘rilettes’ but the cryptic was obvious.
    Did someone earlier actually suggest that ‘Wolves’ might lead to ‘top dogs’. That’s about 60 years too late.
    Strange how we differ: tupu gets the uni (9ac), I immediately got the ‘fy’ and sat wondering what on earth ‘nusfy’ could mean!

17. RCWhiting says:

Sorry. ‘rillettes’.

18. Robi says:

P.S. For 19, I would have been happier with: ‘Butter in trunk filled with American rare earth’ – but then I’m a scientist rather than a Scouse.

19. Paul B says:

I suppose, if stealing butter, I might try to conceal it in my car boot. Or my storage box. You plan these things, but there’s always something unexpected to consider.

Excellent puzzle by the vastly underrated Orlando, a nice change, and a great start to the week (sorry about the cliche there). (And the lack of an accent.)

20. Gervase says:

Robi @18: I’m both a scientist and a Liverpudlian – although I’ve never come across ‘busy’ or ‘bizzie’ as ‘policeman’ (they were always ‘rozzer’ to me), it was fairly obvious from the word play, and the lack of many alternatives for B-S-B-D-! And I think Orlando’s clue has the edge in surface smoothness. But it would certainly be nice to see the odd lanthanide pop up now and then.

Paul B @19: Orlando underrated? Never by me. Always welcome for his good clues.

21. Paul B says:

Yes, I see you dig him. But, with excellent technique and strong ideas, I think he’s due more credit – not to mention appearances in The G – than he gets.

Seeing Orlando’s name on a puzzle puts a smile on my face before I even start it. I think he does get due credit here, as today’s comments show – but I agree about more appearances in the Guardian!

23. Chris says:

Was it last week someone asked if we could lay to rest the “gentle start to the week” cliche? I don’t think we’ll see it today!

Tipstaff, Rillettes and Peculation were new to me, and I didn’t know Distemper and Lights in the senses here (as paint and lungs). Still, thanks to Orlando for wordplay that enabled me to get them (and learn something in the process).

Unfortunately a few in the SE corner defeated me in the end…

24. NeilW says:

Gervase, me too, born a sort of Liverpudlian. (In my case, the Wirral.) That’s why I remembered the last time I’d seen this “policeman.” I was mortified not to recognise the reference so it stuck in my mind.

25. Derek Lazenby says:

Too tough for me, but I nearly got there with heavy gadgeting.

I couldn’t quite see TIP=LIST, as I thought that as verbs one is transitive and the other not.

And as for RILLETTES, Mum never got beyond Roast Beef and Yorkshire Pud, so that was definitely a gadget job. Having looked it up in Wiki, well maybe the picture isn’t the best, but it looks like something I see in dog food tins, so I’m not convinced I’ve missed anything.

26. Paul B says:

Yes D, I see what you mean. Check ‘em out, folks:

27. Matt.vantage says:

Oh dear, I found this to be tough going, but I can certainly appreciate the quality of the cluing!

I was introduced to rillettes by a mate of mine from Paris last summer, and while it looks like a Pedigree Chum product, it’s magical with some crusty bread and cornichons.

28. MikeC says:

Matt@27
    . . . and a little vin rouge! Used to be a treat occasionally when we were cycle-camping in France, some years back.