Financial Times 13,916 by Cinephile

Posted by PeeDee on February 1st, 2012

PeeDee.

An enjoyable puzzle, mostly straightforward but with a few tricky clues thrown in to the mix.

For the trickier clues I particularly like the way Cinephile picks words and definitions that are not common, but also not too obscure either.   The definitions and meanings can be guessed at, the dictionary is used to check the guesses rather than trawling for help.  I think this is a skill he has honed to perfection over the years.

My favourite clue was 7 down for the anagram, very clever.  Thank you Cinephile.

1 BUSHBABY George BUSH with BA (degree) BY – definition is ‘primate’
5 STUPID TUP (male sheep) in SID (Sidney, boy, little=short name)
9 SEA HORSE SEA (sounds like “C”, start of Cocaine) with HORSE (heroin, slang) – the genus containing sea horses and other small fish. In this clue ‘to affect’ means ‘to take on the appearance of’.
10 QUICHE HE (man) following QUICk (fast) with K (king) missing- definition is ‘food’
12 CHUNK C (one hundred, a number) applied to HUNK (piece larger than a chunk) – definition is ‘solid piece’
13 EZRA POUND RAP inside Englisg ZOUNDS (old oath, singular) – Ezra Weston Loomis Pound, modernist poet
14, 18 CORPUS DELICTI (CULTS PERIODIC)* – the legal principle that a crime must be shown to have actually been committed before someone can be found guilty of that crime
16 WATTEAU vieW AT TEA Unexpectedly
18 See 14
20 CARAFE RA (painter) in CAFE (teashop)
22 AMBUSCADE CADE (rebel) on AM (morning) BUS (transport) – here ‘on’ means ‘inside’, as to be ‘on a bus’ is to be inside one
23 CREDO RED (revolutionary) in CO (company)
24 CORBIE sounds like “Corby”, a former steel making town in Northamptonshire – definitio is ‘raven’
25 OPEN PLAN PEN (write to) inside (PAL ON)*
26 DAY OFF OFF DAY (bad time) reversed
27 TRENCHER Definition and cryptic definition – a trencher is a old word for a plate or board, and one who digs trenches
1 BISECT (dry) inside BIT (portion)
2 STATUE OF LIBERTY EATS OUT (anagram=sadly) and FLIBBERTY (sounds like flibberti which leads to gibbet, a gallows, something for suspension) – definition is ‘free representation’
3, 4 BLOCK BUSTERS Double definition
6 TRUMPETER TRUMP (winnning card) and ETERnity (for ever, start of)
7 PICTURE OF HEALTH (OUT HALF THE PRICE)* anagram=turned
8 DREADFUL Doctors (first letter of) READ (to study) FLU* anagram=possibly
11 DRAW Double definition
15 PECKSNIFF PECK (use beak) and SNIFF (use nose) – villain from Martin Chuzzlewit by Charles Dickens
17 ADVANCED Double definition
19 IVAN IV (fourth) AN (indefinite article) – Ivan the Terrible
20 CREEPER Virginia Creeper (plant) and a reptile is ‘a creeping thing’ (as defined in Chambers) – a bit vague I thought
21 BOGNOR BOG Standard (common=slang) with NOR (and not) – Bognor Regis, a royal town on the south coast of England.
23 CANON sounds like “cannon”

*anagram

Hold mouse over clue number to read a clue.

10 Responses to “Financial Times 13,916 by Cinephile”

1. Thomas99 says:

Thanks for the blog. I particularly liked the flibberty/liberty 2d today.

22a – you’ve got a weird slip there. On just means on; CADE isn’t inside AMBUS!

2. Wanderer says:

Thanks PeeDee and Cinephile.

My highlights were the two long down clues — concise and similar defs (‘fit representation’ and ‘free representation’) leading to solutions of the same format, ie ‘something of something’. I thought this a neat touch.

3. PeeDee says:

Thanks Thomas99, I’ve no idea what I was thinking there.

Thanks for the blog, PeeDee. I agree with all of your preamble.

I’m afraid you have another weird slip [I know how easy it is!] in 10ac: it’s K[ing] that’s missing.

5. PeeDee says:

Thank you Eileen. I think I must have had my mind on other things while writing this blog.

6. Tom_I says:

2d: “Flibbertigibbet” is the spelling given by Chambers and OED, so shouldn’t the wordplay be (EATS OUT)* + FLIBERTY (one B) which sounds like (reportedly) “flibberti”, which leads to “gibbet”?

I’m not quite sure how you equate “gibbet” with “suspension”. A gibbet is something you suspend things from, and to gibbet is to suspend, but hey, this is Cinephile/Araucaria, so we don’t go into these things too closely, do we? :)

7. Thomas99 says:

Tom_I
    You said not to go into it, but… I think gibbet would mean suspension if you referred to someone being punished with/condemned to/deterred by “the gibbet”, by which people presumably meant being suspended from the gibbet, not just the wooden thing itself.

I think your parsing of 2d is right.

8. Tom_I says:

I see what you mean. It really needs the word “the”, not just “gibbet”, but I suppose we can take that as understood.

9. PeeDee says:

Tom_I – Reading the blog again I realise I have written the “sounds like” in the wrong place. Fixed now.

Not my best day’s blogging I’m afraid.

10. MikeC says:

Thanks PeeDee and A. Enjoyable this, and not too hard. Fairly raced through it but was then totally stumped by 10, QUICHE. It is a tricky clue (nice) but I can’t think why I didn’t see it. Must be the cold weather . . . !