Financial Times 13,907 by Cinephile

Posted by Pete Maclean on February 2nd, 2012

Pete Maclean.

Prize puzzle from the Weekend FT of January 21, 2012

Cinephile is back with a beastly puzzle that I enjoyed. I like crosswords with themes, even ones like this where there is nothing cryptic about the theme. And Cinephile is certainly a master of them. The clues I particularly like here are 10A (OXYGEN), 18A (UNINTENDED) and 7D (ARGUMENT). I have some tentative doubt about 25A (GANGLION).

1. RIDICULE – RID (get shot) + I (one) + anagram of CLUE. Some might complain that ‘of’ gets in the way here. Or can ‘rid’ mean get shot of?
5. AFRAID – anagram of FAR + AID (help)
9. TOGETHER – TO (to) + GET (acquire) + HER (woman)
10. OXYGEN – OX (beast) + G (good) in YEN (craving)
11. FINALITY – anagram of I (one) FAINTLY
12. FLAMBE – LAMB (beast) in FE (iron)
14. INTERVENES – anagram of TEN IS NEVER
18. UNINTENDED – UNI[o]N (loveless marriage) + TENDED (nursed)
22. ABOARD – BOAR (beast) in AD (poster)
23. AGNUS DEI – GNU (beast) in anagram of ASIDE
24. SHARES – HARE (beast) in SS (ship)
25. GANGLION – GANG (mob) + LION (beast). I was initially unsure if ‘ganglion’ by itself properly meant a swelling but apparently it does — see the first comment below.
26. CURDLE – CUR (beast) + anagram of LED
27. ADROITLY – anagram of IDOLATRY

1. RATIFY – RAT (beast) + IF (providing) + Y[our]
2. DOG-END – DOG (beast) + [m]EN + D (died)
3. CATTLE – CAT (beast) + anagram of LET
4. LIEUTENANT – LIEU (place) + TENANT (holder)
6. FOXGLOVE – FOX (beast) + GLOVE (cover)
7. ARGUMENT – GUM (sticky stuff) in A (a) RENT (schism)
8. DANSEUSE – anagram of USES in DANE (Hamlet)
13. NEW ENGLAND – EWE (beast) in NN (poles) + GLAND (organ)
15. JURASSIC – JUR[ies] (half of at least 24 people) + ASS (beast) + IC (in charge)
16. MINOTAUR – TAU (cross) in MINOR (not so important)
17. STIR WELL – ST (saint) + IRWELL (Manchester stream). I had to look up Irwell to confirm that it is a river that runs through Manchester.
19. GUNG HO – GUN (weapon) + GHO[sts] (half the spirits)
20. ADDICT – anagram of DID in ACT (performance)
21. KIDNEY – KID (beast) + NEY (soldier, referring presumably to Marshal Ney)

6 Responses to “Financial Times 13,907 by Cinephile”

1. Rishi says:

Pete

For ‘ganglion’, Chambers has ‘a tumour in a tendon sheath (pathol.)’

You may want to fix the typo in the solution to 8d.

2. Pete Maclean says:

Thanks Rishi, I have fixed 8d.

3. Wil Ransome says:

11ac: Where is the anagram indicator? Discernable? (by the way …able not …ible, surely? No doubt …able is in some dictionary, though.)
    2dn: I don’t understand this: how is ‘dog-end’ defined by ‘put in tray’? It looks as if there is a verb ‘to dog-end’, but Chambers at any rate doesn’t give it and I’ve never heard of it.

4. Gaufrid says:

Hi Wil

Many on-line dictionaries, including Collins and Merriam-Webster, give ‘discernable’ as a (less common) variant of ‘discernible’ but I agree with you that it does not stand up as an anagram indicator.

Regarding 2dn, this definition has been used before on several occasions (sorry I cannot remember the setters). A dog-end, or cigarette butt, would be ‘put in [an ash] tray’. It is one of Cinephile’s clues where you have to mentally insert ‘something’ to make the definition grammatically correct.

5. Pete Maclean says:

Hi Wil, As often you draw my attention to some infelicities that I overlooked and now think I should have spotted for myself.

In 11ac, it must be that ‘discernable’ is intended to be the anagram indicator. I think it’s a jolly poor one now I consider the matter. I have a dictionary (The Sage) that tells me that ‘discernable’ is an acceptable spelling but defines it as having a slightly different shade of meaning from ‘discernible’. I find it curious that, according to these definitions, ‘discernible’ would be the marginally better choice to indicate an anagram.

And in 2dn, I can find no definition that allows ‘dog-end’ as a verb and am now inclined to think that the definition may be indefensible.

6. Wil Ransome says:

Thanks Gaufrid for explaining about ‘discernable’, but I’m still pretty unconvinced by your saying ‘It is one of Cinephile’s clues where you have to mentally insert ‘something’ to make the definition grammatically correct.’ This seems to be saying ‘oh well, it’s Cinephile, and he can get away with this sort of thing’. I don’t think he can. It’s ungrammatical whoever does it.