Financial Times 13,918 by Redshank

Posted by Jed on February 3rd, 2012

Jed.

Found this quite a knotty puzzle that really took some unravelling and a couple still not fully explained …. 9d,15d and 19d causing the most grief.

ACROSS

1 CURTAINS anagram of CAST RUIN

5 SCREAM  second S CREAM best

10 UPTIGHT jumpy UPRIGHT piano with T instead of R

11 ADJOURN  JOUR in anagram of AND

12 OVOLO moulding VOL book in OO middle of book

13 REIGNITED started again REIGN rule + anagram of DIET

14 TWILIGHT ZONE anagram of WITH GLITZ + ONE somebody

American TV series by Rod Serling 1959 – 64

18 ELECTRICIANS anagram of EAST IN CIRCLE

21 THIRTY-TWO anagram of T[alk] WITH TORY

23 URIAH from Dickens U[mble] HAIR frizz reversed

24 LEAFIER anagram of A RELIEF leafier suburb?

25 DUKEDOM title UK in anagram (out) of MODED

26 SHEILA HEIL Nazi greeting in SA societe anonyme French company

27 PRURIENT RU rugby union in anagram of PINTER

DOWN

1 COUPON UP ON fully operating after CO firm first

2 RATION ship’s biscuit hidden hoRATIO Nelson

3 ANGKOR WAT a new government ANG withdrawn labour WORK reversed + AT

? but WORK is not reversed ?

4 NATURAL HISTORY anagram of ANY HOT RURALIST

6 CAJUN CA California state NUJ up press group national union of journalists

7 EQUATION anagram of QUESTION A minus S not satisfactory

8 MONODIES humorous play on words- a monody is a lament

9 EATING DISORDER anagram of SEAT DOING RIDER

15 TENDULKAR Sachin Ramesh Tendulkar is an Indian cricketer, Imran Khan is from Pakistan ??

16 TEXTILES clothes TEXT message + anagram of LIES (people wearing seems superfluous)

17 CELIBATE anagram of EXCITABLE minus X kiss

19 KINDLE new electronic book IGNITE is in RED in clue 13

20 THE MET hidden clue THEME Tune

22 TRIAL 6 VI removed from TRIVIAL

17 Responses to “Financial Times 13,918 by Redshank”

1. Paul B says:

Well, see your point. 3D is a clue for ANGKRO WAT (I’ve done this myself in a down clue, so I can identify), while 15D looks like it should be an anagram of EGIMRANHE. Stumped there, to employ an appropriate metaphor, but it must be TENDULKAR!

2. Gaufrid says:

Thanks Jed
    15dn TENDULKAR with ‘eg Imran he’ is an anagram of ‘the leading runmaker’.

3. mike04 says:

Thanks for the blog, Jed.

Yes, the DOWN clues today were quite challenging.
    CELIBATE was a fine clue, but KINDLE takes the biscuit if I’ve read it correctly
    – it has a black square above and a white area below!

I agree with you about ANG(KOR W)AT and I’m still struggling to identify the definition part of the clue for MONODIES and EATING DISORDER.

4. Redshank says:

3DHow can two pairs of eyes miss a simple error like that

5. jmac says:

Thanks Redshank & Jed. Now “Tendulkar” is explained (and what a clever clue it proved to be), what about “people wearing” in 16 down?

6. mike04 says:

Oops, missed the modern use of the word KINDLE in 19dn!
    Just about there with MONODIES and EATING DISORDER too.

Thanks Redshank. Mike

7. mike04 says:

OED Textile: (among nudists) a non-nudist, especially on a beach.

8. jmac says:

Thanks Mike. Wonderful how language evolves.

9. Paul B says:

Re 4, don’t worry too much, (sh)it happens occasionally, and 5 agreed – a fine comp anag.

10. Pelham Barton says:

Thanks Redshank for a puzzle with many good clues – I think 8dn was my favourite – and Jed for the blog.

15dn: A neatly devised compound anagram, but the clue seems defective. It looks as though “he” is doing double duty.

22dn: I think this needs to say “leaves” not “leave”, and does “sessions?” really define TRIAL as a singular noun?

11. Paul B says:

You’re absolutely right, of course.

12. Ilippu says:

@2 Gaufrid, please explain once again 15d??

13. Paul B says:

If I may: the clue is

With eg Imran, he could be the leading runmaker (9).

It’s supposed to mean that EG IMRAN HE plus the answer (TENDULKAR) is an anagram of ‘the leading runmaker’. This type of clue is called a compound anagram.

However, and as Pelham Barton says above, because the compiler hasn’t mentioned the fact that you need the letters from the answer as well to complete the anagram fodder, the clue doesn’t work properly, giving the impression that the solution is actually given by an anagram of EG IMRAN HE (also nine letters, to add to the confusion).

To get around the problem the clue would need to be something like

With e.g. Imran, he – this batsman – could be the leading runmaker (9).

HTH.

14. nmsindy says:

I’ll have to say I think this is all right, taking the whole clue as the definition in an &lit sense, rather than just ‘he’.

15. Pelham Barton says:

nms@14 re 15dn:

I agree that the clue is intended to be “& lit” for the definition, but an “& lit” clue still needs a complete cryptic indication, and my problem with 15dn is that the cryptic indication is not complete.

A compound anagram is based on A + B = anagram of C, where A is the answer and B and C are in the clue. Just for the cryptic indication, it needs to show that. Given that the word “he” in the clue is part of B, the structure of 15dn is

With B could be C

I can accept “could be” as an anagram indicator, but “With B” is not enough for me to indicate that B must be added to the answer.

16. nmsindy says:

I think we’ll have to agree to differ on this, PB. I think the full clue as definition defines TENDULKAR. And the ‘could be’ gives the rest ie composite anagram IMHO. Having said all that tho, I’ll have to admit the composite anagram is not my favourite clueing device, speaking personally, but I guess we all have our likes and dislikes.

17. DROPO says:

I’m glad others had problems with 15d and 19d. Would have helped if I had the foggiest notion of who Tendulkar was, though. I got EATING DISORDER, but only after staring at what I knew must be the anagram letters for the longest time. The first word seemed to naturally start with a consonant, but I even thought of EASING before slapping my head and getting on with it. Nicely done.