Financial Times 13,924 by Bradman

Posted by Jed on February 10th, 2012

Jed.

An intelligent and varied offering from the Don. Struggled to find the cryptic nature of 16down unless it’s tongue-in-cheek?

ACROSS

1 SALMAGUNDY anagram of SLUDGY A MAN a 17th century salad mix

6 STUD double definition

9 ECOTOURISM anagram of I USE MOTOR with C (speed of light)

10 SLIP double definition

12 STAGE WHISPER anagram of THIS WE GRASP and RE< around back

15 CHARIVARI CHA cleaner I one V very ARI[A] short song – French – a noisy mock serenade for newlyweds

17 LATHI hidden clue paL AT His – stick used Indian martial art

13 SCRAP PAPER witty cryptic

14 RAMSHACKLE falling down RAM animal SHACK shed LE half left

16 AIR GUITAR Jeff Beck being one of the guitarists in The Yardbirds

21 REMIT area of responsibility RE in respect of MIT university

22 IDES (of March) SIDE with S moving to the bottom

23 PROD reminder – half of PROD[ucts] removed

5 Responses to “Financial Times 13,924 by Bradman”

1. David wickens says:

Well done jed. I think that the clue for No.16 down is in the words : One may keep quite = an air guitar does not make any sound. + Jeff beck is a famous guitarist. and saddos play air guitar.

Or am I being too simple? anyhow that is how i got the answer.
    Much love
    David

2. Pelham Barton says:

Thanks Bradman for an enjoyable crossword and Jed for the blog.

12ac: I think this is E (back – last letter – of theatrE) in (THIS WE GRASP)* & lit.

11dn and 13dn: I really like this way of cluing a phrase – one indication of the normal meaning of the phrase and a reinterpretation of the literal meaning of the words.

3. Pelham Barton says:

Sorry for coming in again, but I meant to comment on 1dn. While solving – which I always do unaided for weekday puzzles – I was not convinced that “Wise person” really defines SEER. I have just looked in Chambers 2008 and Collins 2000 without finding this definition, but then went to Dictionary.com, which explicitly gives “a wise person or sage who possesses intuitive powers”.

4. Rishi says:

The Hindi word ‘lathi’ (both ‘a’ and ‘i’ are elongated) is used for the baton or stick that a policeman in India carries. In Tamil Nadu and other States we may not use the Hindi term but if the police use sticks to disperse an unruly crowd anywhere in India, it is always ‘lathicharge’.

BTW, I like the simple blog in B&W with essential annotation. Anyone who comes to the blog after solving the crossword does not need the clue text. If we have not solved a crossword, why would we want to read the clues with the answers. It is the comments – praise, pans, niggles – that are most important.

5. Paul B says:

I would argue that even people who have solved the puzzle very often need, or would like to see again, the clue text. If there’s a debate on the wording of something or other it’s virtually impossible (for me!) to recall exactly what was written, and it’s far more convenient to see the thing up in the blog than dig the dead tree out of the bin, or go back to the relevant website. Thus I prefer the full-on blog, even when it doesn’t have any pretty pictures to look at.