Sloggers and Betters Ireland Meet (provisional)

Posted by kenmac on February 14th, 2012

kenmac.

Hi,

Just putting the feelers out to see if there is enough interest in meeting up somewhere in Ireland. Having been at the one in Birmingham last summer and having a great time.

I live in Co Donegal but only 10 miles (16 kilometres) from Derry/Londonderry but I can get to most major centres (north of Dublin) fairly easily.

So, can I ask you if you’re interested then please let us know your preferred location and we can go from there.

If anyone from the mainland is interested then you may be interested in possible travel methods. There are ferries from Stranraer and Cairnryan to Larne and Belfast. Liverpool to Belfast and Dublin. Holyhead to Dublin (and maybe a couple more.) There’s also flights to Belfast (2 airports), Dublin, Knock, Derry (and others.)

I look forward to your responses.

kenmac

8 Responses to “Sloggers and Betters Ireland Meet (provisional)”

1. stiofain says:

hi kenmac
    I put some feelers out about this before the result was:
    setters
    Crucible
    solvers
    3 Belfast
    2 Derry
    2 Donegal
    1 Dublin
    1 Sligo
    1 Cork
    were interested in attending
    Any help I can be no problem

2. Raich says:

Mnay thanks for this, Kenmac. I would be very interested in attending if one was held in pretty much any of those locations. I did not see stiofain’s survey at the time.

Without wishing to pour cold water on it though, I’d feel the numbers would need to be somewhat bigger than indicated there for it to be worthwhile. Also travelling from mainland UK to either NI or RoI would involve air or sea and would be quite a commitment. Please keep us updated.

3. Quixote etc. says:

Just because mainlanders mightn’t make it across the Irish Sea, that’s no reason not to have some sort of all-Ireland get-together. You mightn’t have many setters present, but you might find some new solvers lurking who’d be happy to meet in a small group. Go for it, I’d say!

4. Crucible says:

I’ve only just noticed this posting, so apologies. I’m happy to go anywhere within reasonable driving distance of mid-Co Down.

5. regalize says:

And I’m prepared to come from mainland Mitcham – hope there is enough interest – if not, hope you get together meanwhile.

6. stiofain says:

A pretty disappointing reaction .
    How about a different tack?
    Roll up!! Roll up!!
    The inaugaral Ireland sloggers and betters meet will be in Belfast in The John Hewitt Public House and Gastropub on Saturday the 14th of April 2012, the centenerary of the loss at sea of the RMS Titanic, built in Belfast by Irishmen, sunk off newfoundland by Englishmen.
    On the menu breakfast potatoes ( fried ) lunch potatoes ( mashed ) dinner potatoes ( roasted ) supper potatoes ( chips )
    Craic agus ceol go mor.
    Limited edition crossword book featuring exclusive Titanic themed crosswords by all your favourite setters signed for all attendees.
    Book early book often.
    All back to our house for poteen and set dancing after.

7. Raich says:

Thanks, Stiofain, noted. Not sure at this stage if I’ll be able to make it because of competing possibilities which might lead to commitments on that particular weekend but if they don’t work out and I was free, I would certainly be hoping to get there on the day.

8. Bannsider says:

It might be an idea to advertise it locally, for example in the pub or the paper, then you might draw some of the lurkers out, as Quixote puts it, or even some of the people who don’t even lurk: the fabled man/woman on the Clapham Omnibus (or in this case Citybus)