Roger Squires (Rufus, Dante etc) – 80 Today

Posted by Gaufrid on February 22nd, 2012

Gaufrid.

I’m sure you will all join me in wishing Mr Squires a very Happy Birthday. A splendid poetic tribute from Araucaria can be found here on the CCMB.

13 Responses to “Roger Squires (Rufus, Dante etc) – 80 Today”

1. Paul says:

Roger, a very happy birthday.

You’re a lovely bloke, with a great sense of fun, who has given an immeasurable amount of pleasure to so many over the years. Long may the fun continue!

With love, respect and thanks.

John Halpern (ala Paul)

2. Alberich says:

Many happy returns and thank you for all the pleasure your puzzles have given me. May there be many more!

Neil

3. jetdoc says:

I will be uploading some pictures of the two celebratory events (in Ironbridge at the weekend, at the Guardian offices last night) in the near future, and will post a link here.

Meanwhile, I think you will like to know that we presented Rufus and Anna with several framed tributes for their walls. As well well as the special puzzles, I also collated, typeset and framed the wonderful comments posted here on this site. I had to do just a little editing to fit them in, but it was minimal. Rufus was delighted with it all! I will put an image of that, and the framed puzzles, with the photos.

4. Arachne says:

Many Happy Returns, Rufus, and thank you – from the heart – for all the fun, entertainment and inspiration you provide with such unfailing modesty and good nature.
    Love and hugs,
    Arachne xx

5. Norman L in France says:

Congratulation to Mr Squires, indeed. Keep ‘em coming, sir.

6. Ben Iscatus says:

Many happy returns, Roger, you’re one of the best. I love the tribute poem!

7. Barbara Wilson says:

Yppah ynam,Rufus.You are my treat in Monday’s Guardian.May it be so for many years to come.At least,outlive me–a fit 75!
    Love and congratulations,
    Barbara xx

8. nmsindy says:

Happy birthday from me to. Tho I did not have the pleasure of meeting him till fairly recent xword gatherings in Derby and Brum, I’ve felt I’ve known him for decades from doing his puzzles from way back. Thanks, Roger.

nmsindy (Gurney)

9. Judy Bentley says:

Many Happy Returns of the day, Rufus. ‘Ow bin ya, aahh kid?’ ‘Bay bin bad, aahh bin yow?’ Great to see Wolverhampton featuring in today’s Guardian crossword. Thank you for all your wonderful puzzles. I hope for many more.

Best wishes
    Judy Bentley

10. Jack says:

Happy birthday brilliant Rufus. You opened my eyes to a world that gives me so much happiness everyday. Couldn’t have got here without you.
    Jack

11. Arachne says:

Must add my congrats to Araucaria for the astonishingly good sonnet. Is there nothing this man can’t do outstandingly well?!

12. Mark says:

Your puzzles always raise a smile and a chuckle – thank you, and happy birthday!

13. Sil van den Hoek says:

Dear Roger, Many Happy Returns.
    I have already made clear what your puzzles mean to me in another place (also at this site), but whoever clued the middle row of today’s (splendid) FT crossword hit the nail on its head.
    Noy only a good clue, but oh so true.