Independent 7927 by Punk

Posted by nmsindy on March 12th, 2012

nmsindy.

Enjoyable puzzle in the Punk style.     Some of it was fairly easy, but then I struggled to finish with some answers that were less familiar (to me anyway).    Solving time, 27 mins

* = anagram

ACROSS

1 SPACE BAR      Key on typewriter keyboard to make space eg between words.      pub = bar  space = with no atmosphere ie no air in outer space

6 SEWN     Definition:  done with a needle     Every point = all four points of the compass

9 MISO SOUP     Was pleased to work this out from the wordplay tho not v familiar with it.    I’m reversed   so-so = average   finished = up

10 BOILING HOT   oiling (using a lubricant) in (both)*

11  FABRIC     fab (great)   ric(h)   hilarious short

12 TIBERIUS    (is brute I)*    Roman emperor who became tyrannical

13 GARDYLOO      This was new to me.     In Chambers it’s defined as an old warning cry in Edinburgh before throwing slops out of the window into the street, also the slops so thrown, or the act of throwing.      So, having discovered that, it’s clear the clue has an @lit touch.   r (runs) in (lady)* all in goo (sloppy mess)

15 WIRING    This is a little joke at the Women’s Institute, I think ie WI ring (circle of jam makers possibly)     Defn:  working as electricians

17 SPADES     One of two black suits (from playing cards – clubs is the other).    Pun on ‘soil’ which you’d lift with a spade.

19 CAPACITY     cap = top   a city = a financial district      defn: how much can one take

21 SEA BREAM   brea(d) in seam

23 REHASH    hidden (indicated by ‘screens’)

25 MATTERHORN      Mountain in Alps    matter (what you’re made of)   horn (blast it)

26 ROUT    R (right) OUT  cf L (left)  IN

27 STYX   From Greek mythology     STY  (abode of the swine)  X (24th letter of alphabet)

DOWN

2 PROTRUDED     D (Democrat) in true (honest) all in prod (press)    Defn:  stood out

3 CUBICAL   “cubicle”

4/28  BUILT FOR COMFORT NOT SPEED      This was the heart of the puzzle  (do scoff port lemon butter)*.     It was my last answer.    I was only vaguely familiar with it and discovered after that it is a euphemism for obese, so like the ‘gardyloo’ clue, this one has an &lit touch

5 RAINBOW    RA (painter)  IN  BOW (front as in a ship)

6 SUGAR      Clue is “Damn rotter!”     I think sugar = damn (ie expression of frustration) but I don’t understand the rest.    Guess maybe it has something to do with Alan Sugar TV programmes, which nmsindy has not watched.    Any advice would be appreciated.    Have verified the answer is correct.

7 WHODUNNIT     taste (whit) around on which is itself around dun (greyish-brown)

8 VISA     via (through) containing S  (first letter of school)  ‘nursing’ is containment indicator.    Defn: pass

14 APPLE TART     Elaborate wordplay here, I think     P = ‘pie that is not’ = pie less ie (that is)  LET (allowed) all contained in APART (in pieces).   Defn: pastry

16 RACEHORSE    This was my favourite clue with the excellent misdirecting surface   race (people)  r (right) in hose (socks)

18 SWEAR IN  ear (attention) in S (small)  win (gain)

20 PARSNIP    rap (knock) going upwards (as a down entry) snip = prune.    I like this one a lot too

22 BOTOX     bot(tom) = semi-bum  OX = steer

7 Responses to “Independent 7927 by Punk”

1. Paul A says:

6d – Could it be that sugar rots your teeth? Although Suralan is a funnier answer

2. Lenny says:

Thanks NMS I usually find Punk a bit harder than his brothers Paul and Mudd but he was in a friendly mood today. Some answers only needed the definition: Gardyloo, Styx and the so easy that it could not be correct Spades. Also, the long answer came relatively easily. Last one in was Whodunnit with its tricky Russian doll wordplay.

Otherwise, the usual witty, high-quality clueing from Punk. My only quibble is that the Space Bar is not a key, that’s why it’s called a bar.

3. Allan_C says:

I had the same experience as you, nmsindy, in that some of it was fairly easy, but then I struggled to finish – and could have kicked myself when I saw how simple some of the ones I struggled with were! And it was another of those crosswords where I couldn’t be bothered trying to unscramble the long anagram but got enough crossing letters to realise what the phrase was.
    I agree with Lenny about the space bar – that was one of the clues that held me up.
    Favourite clue? – GARDYLOO!

I too found this a tough one to finish and certainly needed to come here to see how three or four were parsed. GARDYLOO I vaguely remembered, but APPLE PIE I couldn’t see, nor ROUT; but I suppose both are gettable once you’ve got some crossing letters.

I think Paul A has it right with SUGAR. It’s an expletive that maiden aunts use instead of shit, and it also rots your teeth if ingested in sufficient quantities.

Thanks to Punk and to nms for the helpful blog (there is a tiny typo in 4/28 btw: we need the I as part of the anagram fodder to make it work).

5. Cumbrian says:

Many thanks for the puzzle and the enlightening blog. I had to cheat to get GARDYLOO; certainly a warning I’d heard of, but had never realised that was how it’s spelt, being supposedly derived from the French gardez l’eau. I doubt I’d have got it anyway, but a very fair and amusing clue nonetheless. That left me with just the third letter of 9/24, which I finally twigged but it might have been easier if the two words had been adjacent, when SO-SO could perhaps have been easier to spot. Never heard of it, but again fair enough. Lots to like, and my favourite was perhaps 26. Or maybe 15. Possibly 6a, or even 6d – well, you get the idea.

6. Dormouse says:

Got stuck on two clues, including 8/24. Went off and did something else for a couple of hours, came back and still couldn’t see it, so in desparation I did a word search, which threw up nothing. Then I saw it. And I’m a great fan of Japanese food.

Got enought cross letters for 4d to remember the gist of the phrase so I could solve the anagram.

I immediately thought at 6d that sugar rots your teeth, but couldn’t see where “damn” came into it.

7. Bertandjoyce says:

Sugar as an expletive reminded us of when our son was very young. One of us, Joyce, used it and the only way of stopping our son from copying was to list every sort of sugar you could think of everytime he said it!
    We thought this was reasonably easy apart from miso soup. It was there somewhere in the sunconscious but not until we had all the checking letters.
    Thanks NMS and Punk. A good start to the week.