Financial Times 13,954 by Bradman

Posted by Jed on March 16th, 2012

Jed.

Tough call today with a couple not fully explained as yet especially 7d. 13d is a stretch

ACROSS

2 OFFBEAT quirky humorous definition

3 DESIGNATE D E rows anagram of SEATING

5 ANODE positive electrode  AN ODE Horace poet

6 UNHORSE ?&lit

7 SALISBURY

10 JUSTINIAN ruler JUST IN IAN scot

13 CHARMLESS unattractive CH companion ARMLESS can’t roll up sleeves!

15 BULLFIGHT FULL with f on end in BIGHT

17 ALKANET plant ALKANE hydrocarbon [shu]T

19 CONVERT  CON tory VERT green

21 WITAN TA army in WIN but in Chambers this is not a supreme god

22 ESSEN German city NESSIE<  minus I

14 Responses to “Financial Times 13,954 by Bradman”

1. crypticsue says:

I thought this was really difficult today (possibly the most difficult of all six cryptics done). 7d SILAS was a missionary with St Paul and he is reversed (upset) and put with Bury, once near and probably now part of Manchester. I agree with your ? after 6d too. Well done, glad it wasn’t me who had to blog this one, people would have been waiting for some time.

2. PeeDee says:

Thanks Jed

7 dn is SILAS (missionary, companion of Paul) reversed and BURY (suburb of Manchester) definition is ‘City’.

Your explanation of 13dn seems fine to me.

3. jmac says:

Thanks for the blog Jed, and to Bradman for his usual fine, fair puzzle. I thought 21 down was WOTAN, TA in WON, which accords with the tense.

4. Abby says:

Isn’t 5D factually wrong? I thought cathode was positive and anode negative? Made good cryptic sense, though.

I think I get the idea of 6D (several farmhands would be without their mounts), but it stinks. :-(

5. Pelham Barton says:

Hi everyone.

6dn: I think this is a cryptic definition based on “hand” as a measure of height for a horse.

6. PeeDee says:

An anode is an electrode though which current flows into an electrical device, the cathode is where the current flows out of the device. These could have a positive or negative potential depending on the setup and what your viewpoint is.

For example, in a valve the anode is thought of as the +ve electrode because that is where the electons are attracted to (electrons flow out of this end, so current flows in).

In a battery the anode is condidered the -ve electrode, since that is where the electrons flow out of the battery (so the current flows in through this electrode).

7. Thomas99 says:

I agree with Pelham Barton re 6d. I think it’s a rather good Cryptic Definition clue – superficially about playing cards, but in fact a slightly elaborate/poetic but grammatically perfect description of unhorsing someone. And it seems to have flummoxed a few people, so it’s not too easy (a fairly frequent complaint against Rufus’ CDs, which usually surprises me).

8. Thomas99 says:

PS. jmac @3 is surely right about 21d. Witan doesn’t fit the definition or the wordplay and Wotan does.

9. nmsindy says:

Thanks, Jed and Bradman. Yes, this was pretty tough and it took me ages to see UNHORSE in the NE corner which I found the most difficult. I agree with PB at #5 that this refers to hands as measure of height for a horse. Everything very fair and clear in the end. What may have made it a little harder is that it is a pangram ie every letter of the alphabet is used in the grid.

10. Lenny says:

I agree with crypticsue that this is the most difficult of today’s puzzles, although I only did the T***s and the Independent before I tried it. I thought the Don was really flexing his muscles with this. Unknowns for me were: Cottar, Wharfinger, Satang, Alkane, Alkanet and Silas. Everything was just about gettable from the wordplay but I have to admit I got the right call between Alkane and Alkene on a flip of a coin.

I was not helped by getting the anagram at 11 since my best initial attempt at the spelling was Beetelgeus, which threw me on 4 of the 5 crossers. I’ll go and write it 100 times. Betelgeuse, Betelgeuse, Betelgeuse…

11. susan says:

the supreme god is WOTAN (achieved victory=won)

12. pennes says:

This was the first FT I’ve attempted ( I’ve only just discovered that crosswords can be accessed and printed online). I always start with the last, down clues and the ” first” three went straight in and I thought it was going to be a doddle. I managed in the end about 3/4 so was pleased to see it is rated a toughie. I’m definitely in the liking 6 dn camp and 2 dn offbeat was a nice get.
    I was wondering why the crosswords are given online; what is in it for the paper?

13. pennes says:

Oh could anyone tell me how 23 ac “peanuts” works. Maybe not getting a refernce to “nuts” means I am thinking too politlye and should get out more

14. nmsindy says:

Re pennes at #13, I think the idea is that “nuts” is an anagram indicator and pea is an anagram of ape.