IoS 1,152/Crosophile

Posted by Ali on March 25th, 2012

Ali.

Having moved from blogging the daily puzzle to the Sunday one, I seem to be landing all the setters I rarely saw during the week. No complaints though, as this was good stuff from Crosophile. I found this tough in parts, with the penny dropping on many clues only after I’d got the answer. Any help with 27A 15D will be appreciated.

1 FLOODLIT – LO(ok) in (IF TOLD)*
5 SHRIMP – SH + R(eading) + IMP
9 OVERSTEP – OVER PETS, i.e. PETS rev.
10 PRISON – PRI[-m] + SON
12 EVOKE – OK in EVE
13 PTARMIGAN – PT (exercises) + + ARM (gun) + ([-a]GAIN)*
14 HANDKERCHIEF – K(ing) + ER (queen) in HAND (worker) + CHIEF(boss)
18 RHODODENDRON – (DODDER + [-t]HORN[-s])*
21 SHOELACES – Cryptic def.
23 SHADY – SHY about A D[-eal]
24 BLEACH – L(ake) in BEACH
25 COMEDIAN – CO (firm)+ MEDIAN (in the middle)
26 WASHER – WAS HER
27 SENTIENT – This seems to be SENT (transported) around I + E[-xpected], but not sure where the ‘not on vacation’ part comes in
1 FROZEN – (ZERO)* in F(ar) N(orth)
2 OCELOT – O (love) for LAN[-d] in LANCELOT
3 DESPERADO – (SPED)* + E[-cuado]R + ADO (trouble)
4 INEXPEDIENCY – PE in (INDEX NICE)* + [-da]Y
6 HAREM – HARE + M(alta)
7 INSIGNIA – INSIGNI[-ficance] + A(dvanced)
8 PENKNIFE – PEN + K + NI + FE
11 KALEIDOSCOPE – (I O DALEKS)* + COPE
15 C?O?S ?E?T – Not sure on this one – “I’m high on waves taking in nothing to most directions”
16 CROSSBOW – CROSS + “Beau”
17 COLONELS – “Kernels”
19 FACILE – I L(eft) in FACE
20 CYGNET – “Signet”
22 LUCRE – (CRUEL)*

5 Responses to “IoS 1,152/Crosophile”

1. Gaufrid says:

Thanks Ali
    27ac is N[o]T (not on vacation) I E[xpected] in SENT (transported)

15dn is CROWS NEST – CREST (waves) around O (nothing) WSN (most directions)

2. Wanderer says:

Thoroughly enjoyed this. Big ticks for SHOELACES and the three metals in PENKNIFE.

Held myself up by entering NIPPER instead of PRISON for a while. My thinking was NIP as a verb may be a synonym for NICK as a verb, + PERt for mostly demure, def child. But pert seems to be the opposite of demure, so no wonder I couldn’t make it work…

I puzzled over RHODODENDRON as (DODDER+tHORNs)* doesn’t have enough letters. I think it needs ‘beside’ to give the final ON.

Many thanks to Ali and Crosophile.

3. nmsindy says:

Yes, this was very good, thanks Crosophile and Ali. Favourite clue PENKNIFE.

4. scchua says:

Thanks Ali, and Crosophile.

Favourites were PENKNIFE, HANDKERCHIEF and COMEDIAN. Completed it and parsed as setter intended, but nagging question as to:
    15D CROW’S NEST: “crest” doesn’t seem to be compatible with “waves”, neither as a noun nor a verb (in any case, as a noun, crest is the top of a wave, not the whole wave).
    And in INSIGNIA, I guess A=advanced as in A-level exams?

5. Crosophile says:

Thanks, Ali, and for other comments.
    Clue for CROW’S NEST was an &lit:

I’m high on waves taking in nothing to most directions

CREST = high [noun] on waves
    about O+WSN

Whole clue is [a sort of] definition.