Posted by Pete Maclean on April 5th, 2012
Prize puzzle from the Weekend FT of March 24, 2012
Here is another impressively brilliant puzzle from Cincinnus. Among a good number of exceptional clues I would pick out the fine &lit. of 21A (RODEO), 12A (CAPER) for working in two movie titles, 15A (FIRE ALARM) for being so deceptive, and 4D (RESENTFUL) for its fine surface.
1. COLLIER – C (cold) + OLLIE (Hardy — as in Laurel and Hardy) + R (runs)
5. PRESS-UP – PRESS (squash) + UP (in court)
9. RAYON – RAY (swimmer) + ON (being shown)
10. SINISTRAL – SIN (offence) + IS (is) + TRA[i]L (one leaves track)
11. CLEARANCE – double definition
12. CAPER – hidden word (afriCA PERhaps)
13. SEDAN – anagram of DANES. The Battle of Sedan? Never heard of it. Wait! There were two battles of Sedan.
15. FIRE ALARM – anagram of FILM A RARE. A David Warner film? A Warner Bros film? No, a lovely cryptic definition.
18. FAREWELLS – FA + RE (notes) + WELLS (novelist — as in H.G.)
19. REFIT – REMIT (terms of reference) with M changed to F
21. RODEO – anagram of DOOR [hors]E. And a lovely &lit.
23. PROCEDURE – ED (Miliband) in PROCURE (get)
25. ANGLEWORM – anagram of LOW GERMAN
26. DINGO – DIN (racket) + GO (game)
27. DINETTE – DI (little girl) + NETTE[d] (almost caught)
28. NEW DEAL – homophone (“nude eel”)
1. CARACAS – CAR (Focus, say) + ACAS (mediators). I fancy most people would say “Ford Focus” but I think this clue is okay.
2. LAY READER – AYR (Scottish town) in LEADER (chief)
3. INNER – INN[keep]ER (keep away from landlord)
4. RESENTFUL – anagram of NURSE LEFT
5. PENNE – PEN (writer) + N[aples] E[ating]
6. EASY CHAIR – EASY (sinecure) + CHAIR (don) but more of a cryptic definition perhaps
7. SCRAP – double definition
8. PILGRIM – double/cryptic definition (referring to “Pilgrim’s Progress” and the Pilgrim Fathers)
14. NEW FOREST – reverse anagram (referring the “The Children of the New Forest”)
16. ROSCOMMON – ROS (rebels most??) + COMMON (prevalent). I was not sure how the first part of this works but it is explained in the first comment below.
17. AFFLUENCE – FLU (complaint) in A FENCE (a criminal)
18. FORWARD – double definition
20. TREFOIL – REF (whistle-blower) in TOIL (work)
22. DIG IN – ID (this writer had) reversed + GIN (drink)
23. PROBE – PRO (for) + B[rut]E
24. ENDOW – DO (party) in ENW (various ways — i.e. East, North and West)