Azed 2078/ochkpaatr

Posted by ilancaron on April 8th, 2012

ilancaron.

I kept an open mind about this but the APRIL FOOL theme was unavoidable — i.e. once the grid was full there was no obvious way to resolve the clashes other than to leave (or remove?) APRIL FOOL.  I suspect we’re meant to leave it – though it would be just as consistent the other way round.

1 STR[O/A]PPY – definition is STROPPY and wordplay is S(TRAP=gin)PY
7 S[C/P]OTS – definition is SCOTS (e.g. Burnsian according to TBRB) and wordplay SPOTS=rev(stops)
11 C[H/R]AP – definition is CHAP (fellow) and wordplay CRAP[e] – where crape=is think crinkled silk
12 RECOLLET – French recollect, a Franciscan monk – did you submit a clue?
13 COTT(U)S – a fish and U=all to see (in the cinema) and COTTS are archaic small boats.
14 [I/K]RONER – KRONER are still used in Scandinavia (what kind of Europeans are they??) and IRONER is hidden.
17 AGORA – hidden – though you could argue that traditionally no money was spent on a kibbutz being a socialist community.  Oh well.  Can’t argue that anymore.
18 TID,E RIP – tid = Latin three times a day followed by pier*.
19 W(HIP)LASH – hip in shawl*
21 ROU[L/P] – one of my last: ROUL is an archaic rule is the definition register.  And wordplay [e]UROP*[e] is ROUP=something Scots… in this case “a sale by public auction”.
22 BASE – 2 meanings (low, starting point) and wordplay “B as E” ( base) changes bar to ear thus “give attention”.  Rather unwieldy.
23 TERIYAKI – (Ikea I try)*
27 L(EON)INE – one* in LINE=short letter and LEONINE=”a kind of Latin verse”.
28 O[A/F]TEN – definition is OFTEN and wordplay is O(ATE)N where ON=”just after” (according to TBRB along with many other definitions).
33 D[A/O]VIES – definition is DOVIES (little darlings) and wordplay DA(VIE)S=vie in rev(sad) — I suppose DOVIES is in the OED because I can’t find it in TBRB (or DAVIES for that matter) though “dovie” is there (Scots stupid) as is Davie (in “some first names”).
34 EN D,A,SH – it’s a type of hyphen.
35 E,U,ROSEAT[e] – what an EMP occupies presumably.  Roseate=pinkish.
36 [k]ENYA – she’s Irish though.  I think.
37 STEN[O/T] – another tough one: definition=STENO=secretary and wordplay S(T)ENT.
38 G[R/L]OSS,ED – Definition is GROSSED=turned over.  And wordplay is G,LOSS,ED=Miliband and G is the constant gravity.

2 T,[H/R]OUGH – definition is THOUGH=allowing and wordplay T,ROUGH=preliminary crude sketch.
3 RAT POISON – (anti spoor)*
4 [O/A]PTER – tough clue again: definition is “one picking”=OPTER (I suppose) and wordplay is A,PTER[is] where pteris a fern genus.  Of course.
5 PRU[di’s]H – it’s what you say in Scotland to get a cow to get a move on.
6 PE(SET)A – former Spanish currency.
7 S,OR,D – a flock of mallards and the limits of “stand”  are indeed an S or D.
8 [P/C](LOVE)RY – definition is PLOVERY=lots of plovers and wordplay is love=nothing in cry.
9 TEED – hidden
10 S(TRIP)[P/L]ING – I really wanted the definition to be streaking but it’s STRIPPING and wordplay is trip in sling (our missile launcher)
14 [I/K]RIS – definition is KRIS=piercing blade and the wordplay rev(IRIS)=siri=betel=pan.  Really.
15 SAW,BLADES
16 CROATIANS – a=abbrev(are) in cast-iron*
20 PENSI,ON – board and wordplay is: pines*,ON=close to.
24 ENDS – finished and take S from send=ship and move to end.
RED EA[R/L] – I found this difficult as well: RED EAR is definition and not in dictionary but makes sense: what you get from boxing indeed.  And wordplay is just leader*
26 KE[pt],KSYE* – nice clue since KEKSYE is a Scots name (for an umbellifer) – and I like the smooth surface reading of “kept losing part” to indicate KE[pt].
29 [F/A](I’D)ES – definition is FIDES=faith and wordplay is I’d in rev(sea).
30 T,[A/O]UT – definition is tense=TAUT and wordplay T,OUT=not normal.
31 PE,S[O/T] – definition is nuisance=PEST and wordplay is PE[cans],SO=like this
32 INTO – “enthusiastic about” but the wordplay? “chanting nation lost” - OK wordplay’s chanting=INTO[nation].  Thanks Matthew!

12 Responses to “Azed 2078/ochkpaatr”

1. Matthew says:

Thanks for the blog, ilancaron.

In 32d, I think chanting=INTONATION

2. Pelham Barton says:

I thought this was a brilliant idea for an April Fool puzzle superbly executed so many thanks to Azed, and thanks also to ilancaron for the blog.

3. Don Manley says:

I can confirm that AZED will accept either interpretation of the APRIL FOOL theme — i.e. you can take it or leave it! Happy Easter, all.

4. The Trafites says:

To me it was pretty obvious that APRIL FOOL had to be left in, otherwise why use the other clashing letters on the 1st April?

You only needed the across clashes letters as down clues are just repetitive doublets.

As to your question at 12ac, no I didn’t bother – it is quite rewarding to solve these competition type crosswords, but when you see addition help from other areas to enable other solvers to complete the crossword, it just isn’t cricket, frankly.

I will still blog Azed, but I doubt I will bother to enter Azed any more due to knowing it is not me versus Azed, but me versus a clique (of which I will never win).

I guess it was by telephone before the Internet age.

Nick

5. ilancaron says:

“Additional help” is ill-defined though.

Clearly using a dictionary is acceptable (after all why would the setter indicate which one he/she chose?).

I also suspect that using Google is perfectly acceptable — in fact, I’m fairly sure that setters assume this given the (what appear to me) rather esoteric themes of late e.g. in The Listener.

If I ask a friend at work or at home for their opinion, I suppose that still’s acceptable.

I can continue this gradient of “additional help” until at some point it becomes obvious to the reasonable juror that some line of egregiousness has been crossed.

But I have no doubt that reasonable people will agree that this line isn’t absolutely and unequivocally defined. So we have to agree to disagree.

Don Manley’s comment on http://www.crosswordclub.co.uk falls in the non-egregious category. To me. But not to you. I think reasonable people would agree that the very fact that you and I disagree is proof that his “disclosure” isn’t beyond the pale.

6. Jan says:

Thanks for the blog, ilancaron. There were a few clues which I couldn’t fully parse.

25d – I had a different take. I’ve always known the situation of a deck of cards being ‘boxed’, i.e. some cards facing the wrong way. This is only discovered when the cards are being dealt so a REDEAL is needed. However, I can’t find any reference to this definition of ‘boxed’. Is it me?

7. Norman L in France says:

Re which letters to leave in or out, it was no big deal, surely, despite the ambiguity. I would have thought if you’d spotted the trick a simple note beside the solution would have shown AZED you’d understood, and provided you put in one set or the other things would be fine.
    Trafites @4
    I can see where you’re coming from with the comment about a clique and standing no chance – I’ve thought the same myself sometimes when seeing names and some of the winning entries – but I don’t think it’s entirely fair. The people who submit answers and clues are used to the style and conventions and so are much more likely to win if they’ve been entering for years. I haven’t been visited by the muse for a long while so obviously stand no chance if don’t enter, but a few years ago I did submit clues (no more than 6 in all, as far as I recall) and was lucky to come second once, so no clique there.

8. Wil Ransome says:

There are two things: completing the crossword and composing a winning clue. The first is necessary for the second (i.e. if you’ve made a mistake in the crossword your entry is null and void), but I can’t see that it’s desperately important whether or not you’ve had help to jump through the initial hoop: the monthly competition is all about setting clues.

Now the concern about the same old names always being successful is another argument. Yes the same old names are generally successful, but that is because their clues are, for various reasons, nearly always better than those of the others.

Just in case anyone suspects that the remarks above suggest that I cheat, according to some standards, I never have any help with the solution of the crossword (or indeed the setting of the clue) and make a point never to solicit it.

9. RCWhiting says:

Obviouly I do sometimes think that my occasional clue entry is better than the winner’s!
    This is less disturbing (actually not at all) because I frequently disagree with the ordering of the three winners.
    I feel that there is an over-emphasis on topicality.
    None of this (including the obvious dining clique) lessens my pleasure in solving the puzzle.

10. sidey says:

I think that 25d confirms that April Fool was what Azed intended as it is (6) not (3,3).

11. Pelham Barton says:

sidey @10: I think you are right on this – except of course that Azed would have used (6, 2 words) if RED EAR were the intended grid entry at 25dn.

12. PeterM says:

Jan, I interpreted 25dn the same way: although that meaning of ‘boxed’ is unknown to the OED, I remember using it from my earliest days of family games, in the thirties.