Independent 7957 by Quixote

Posted by NealH on April 16th, 2012

NealH.

A fairly standard Quixote with some nice clues. As a sceptic, I rather liked 13 down.

1 Trouble Spots: Tots around Roubles + p.
9 Affable: A f fable.
10 Nannies: San< around nine*.
11 Core: C[h]ore.
12 Terminate: Term + in + ate.
14 Smashing: M + ash in sing.
16 Baron: Bar + on.
17 River: [D]river.
18 Tinkling: T + inkling.
20 Camellias: Camel + sail<.
22 Yeti: Ye + it<.
24 Managua: Man + a g(ood) u(niversity).
25 Garment: Gent around arm.
26 Irreverently: (In revel Terry)*.
1 Thatch: That + ch.
2 Oxford Movement: (Oft vexed Mormons)*.
3 Babe: B + Abe.
4 Evert: Evert[on].
5 Pendragon: Pen + dragon.
6 Tennis Ball: (Sent in)* + ball.
7 Disarrangement: (Meandering star)*.
8 Astern: Aster + N.
13 Astrologer: (Star ogler)* around o.
15 Intricate: In + trie[s] around cat.
17 Raceme: “Race me”.
19 Wintry: Win + try.
21 Segue: Sue around EG.
23 Erse: Hidden in “islanders evidently.

6 Responses to “Independent 7957 by Quixote”

1. nmsindy says:

Thanks, Neil H and Quixote. A very pleasant start to the week, v much on the easy side, I thought, even by Quixote’s standards. Always nice to be able to get a completely unknown word from clear wordplay. That was the case for me with 5 down. I thought the definition of THATCH was rather good.

Thanks Neal. Yes, as nms says, a gentle start to the week, but with some nice touches. I too liked THATCH, and TENNIS BALL had a nice surface.

Surprised though that Quixote referenced the Chelsea captain in 26ac, on today of all days. His editor is probably still under the duvet (commiserations btw; for once it is true to say that I know how you feel …)

3. flashling says:

Bit surprised NMS hadn’t come across 5d from the legend of KIng Arthur, yes very easy start to the week, thanks Quixote.

4. Pelham Barton says:

Thanks Quixote for an enjoyable puzzle – some lovely long anagrams – and Neal for the blog.

24ac: There is a small omission from the explanation: Man + a g(ood) u(niversity) a(cademia).

1dn: I agree with the comments above: an excellent definition.

K’s Dad @2: It never occurred to me that 26ac was a reference to any particular Terry.

Beauty (or irony in this case) is in the eye of the beholder, Pelham …

6. Kim says:

Thanks; I was travelling, and had no way to check my answers, or to get the two I missed, which were driving me crazy. Cryptics are not as well known in the US, so I couldn’t even discuss the clues with anyone. So thank you, Neal, for sanity, and thank you, Quixote, for a puzzle of just-right difficulty for me.