Financial Times 13,995 by Dogberry

Posted by Jed on May 4th, 2012

Jed.

Smashing puzzle with shed loads of wit and ingenuity

ACROSS

1 GENDARME low-down GEN (DREAM)*

5 DECAMP de Camptown ladies sing this ..

9 UNDERAGE too tender (U GRANDEE)*

16 BOOKWORM keen reader (WORK)* workout in BOOM

17 SKINHEAD ! SKIN hide HEAD noddle

19 CRINGE shrink RING call in CE church

20 BOTTOM bed B book MOTTO<

21 ASPECT look P quiet in A SECT a faction

( )* = anagram    < = reverse    [ ] = omit

6 Responses to “Financial Times 13,995 by Dogberry”

Thanks, Jed, for the blog [I appreciated the 'shed loads' ;-) ] and Dogberry for an excellent puzzle.

Favourite clue: 25ac.

2. mike04 says:

Thanks, Jed.

A superb puzzle from Dogberry, one of my favourite setters in the FT stable.
    DECAMP was a nice touch. Do you remember when every crossword had a Quotation Clue?

I liked VIGNETTE too, Eileen. It seemed to be part of a minitheme:
    INvite, OVERlord and workOUT. Not to everyone’s taste – but the device appeals to me!

Me too, mike04!

4. Sil van den Hoek says:

May I join the choir who thought this was a great crossword?
    Also one that – I thought – was much harder than recent Sheds (which added to the/my/our fun).
    Maybe it was also because of these cross-references that it felt a bit like that other Biggle :).
    Never heard of SPOLIATION or APHODEL (quite a clever anagram) but perfectly gettable.
    A very evenly clued crossword in which, perhaps, 25ac was my/our favourite too.
    Thumbs up for Dogberry.
    Thank you, Jed, for your blog.

5. Sil van den Hoek says:

May I join the choir of those who thought this was a great crossword? [was what I meant to say] :)

6. Dogberry says:

Thanks all. The pile-up of prepositions noted by mike04 was purely fortuitous, I hadn’t noticed it myself. I was rather expecting to get accused of racism for 5ac but everyone seems to have taken it in the spirit in which it was intended.