Guardian Quiptic 651 Moley

Posted by scchua on May 7th, 2012

scchua.

The only Moley Quiptic I have blogged was also my first on 15sq.  I don’t recall the details of the first, except that it was quite straightforward, and today’s is the same.   Thanks Moley.  Definitions are underlined in the clues.  Each of the pictures at the bottom has an unidentified connection to the crossword.

5 Useless timber? (6)

LUMBER :  Cryptic defn: Timber cut into pieces, which may,? become useless household articles,lumber stored away – the attic being a favourite place.

6 Article Mail’s reprinted on a living organism (6)

ANIMAL :  AN(the indefinite article used with nouns beginning with a vowel sound) + anagram of(reprinted) MAIL.

9 Annoying youngster or model of significance? (6)

IMPORT :  IMP(annoying,mischievous child,youngster) + OR + T(from the early Ford car, the model T).

10 Draw a parallel with prior notice; it’s good enough (8)

ADEQUATE :  EQUATE(to draw a parallel to) plus(with) AD(short for advertisement,a notice) placed before(prior).

11 Some on-board entertainment creates an impression (4)

DENTHidden in(some) on-boarD ENTertainment

Answer: A physical impression,a depression.

12 In place of “occupier” see “officer” (10)

LIEUTENANT :  LIEU(in place of) + TENANT(an occupier of a let premises).

13 Attractive girl has a lot of money (6,5)

PRETTY PENNY :  PRETTY(attractive) PENNY(girl’s name).

Answer: As in “That party must have put him back a pretty penny.”

18 Organic process demolished mobile mast (10)

METABOLISMAnagram of(demolished) MOBILE MAST.

21 Seven days sound pathetic (4)

WEAKHomophone of(sound) “week”,period of seven days

Defn: Miserably inadequate.

22 Go indirectly by perimeter roads (8)

SIDEWAYS :  SIDE(the perimeter, as opposed to the centre) + WAYS(roads).

Answer: To approach,go indirectly, as opposed to head-on.

23 Marina arranged to produce flier (6)

AIRMANAnagram of(arranged) MARINA.

24 Boss’s one love is his workplace (6)

STUDIO :  STUD(a boss,a protuberance) + I(Roman numeral for “one“) + O(looks like zero,love,as in tennis scores).

25 Get wind of a piece of cake (6)

BREEZE :  Double defn: 1st: Verb, as in “It breezes from the west.”; and 2nd: An easy task, as in “Solving crosswords is a breeze,a piece of cake nowadays with the help of the Internet.”

1 I am Bill and I make false claims (8)

IMPOSTER :  I’M(contraction of “I am”) + POSTER(a bill,an advertisement that is hung up/posted/pasted on a wall).

2 Intellectual lament broadcast (6)

MENTALAnagram of(broadcast) LAMENT

Answer: As in “Solving crosswords is an intellectual,mental exercise.”

3 Disturb peacekeepers on bench (8)

UNSETTLE :  UN(abbrev. for the United Nations Organisation, part of whose function is be peacekeeper to the world) placed above(on, in a down clue) SETTLE(a long seat,bench).

4 Criticise “One Man and His Dog” on a point (6)

IMPUGN :  I(Roman numeral for “one”) + M(abbrev. for “male”,man, usually seen on forms in a box asking  if you’re M/F) plus(and) PUG(a breed of dog) placed above(on, in a down clue)  N(abbrev. for “north”,a compass point).

5 Mountaineer lost his head but remained flexible (6)

LIMBER :  “climber”,mountaineer minus(lost) its initial letter,his head.

7 Potential to reveal fresh talent (6)

LATENTAnagram of(fresh) TALENT

Answer: That, eg. talent, which is not apparent, but is there to surface,be released at some time,potential.

8 Assembly of fifty Asters: security is the priority (6,5)

SAFETY FIRSTAnagram of(assembly of) FIFTY ASTERS.

14 Cot and chair arranged about the chest (8)

THORACICAnagram of(arranged) [COT plus(and) CHAIR].

Answer: Relating to,about the thorax,chest.

15 Short film showing modern southern dance (8)

NEWSREEL :  NEW(modern) + S(abbrev. for southern) + REEL(a dance).

16 Info on one American’s wizardry (6)

GENIUS :  GEN(info, derived from general information) placed above(on, in a down clue) I(Roman numeral for “one”) US(American).

17 Brutal attack (6)

SAVAGE :  Double defn: 1st: As an adjective; and 2nd: As a verb.

19 Way to get to a place for an event (6)

AVENUEA + VENUE(place for an event to be held).  Nice surface.

20 A thousand agree, perhaps: it’s skimpy (6)

MEAGRE :  M(Roman numeral for “thousand”) + anagram of(perhaps) AGREE.

==========================================================

9 Responses to “Guardian Quiptic 651 Moley”

1. grandpuzzler says:

Thanks Moley and scchua. Learned a new meaning for lumber today so thanks for that. Regarding the pictures: #1 Leonardo DiCaprio (Catch Me If You Can) and #6 Tony Curtis (The Great Impostor) played imposters – 1d. #2 Warner-Pathe Newsreel – 15d. #3 Paul Giamatti and #7 Virginia Madsen were in Sideways – 22ac. If #5 is California wine, then that could be attributed to the movie Sideways also. Can’t help with the other pictures although #8 and #10 look vaguely familiar.

Cheers…

2. Robi says:

Thanks Moley; about the right level for a Quiptic and a relief after my travails with the Rufus offering.

Thanks scchua; I liked LIEUTENANT. You obviously liked SIDEWAYS.

Thanks grandpuzzler for the help with the images. I agree that 5 is probably related to SIDEWAYS – a brilliant film that is worth a second look.

scchua, you are making these quizzes more difficult…….

#4 is Caterina Valente who had a hit with ‘The BREEZE and I’
    #8 is Douglas Adams who wrote ‘The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy’ with Arthur DENT, played by #10, Martin Freeman
    #9 is Charles Ponzi, of the Ponzi scheme notoriety – related again to IMPOSTER, I think.

3. Robi says:

scchua and grandpuzzler (just to get my own back); what is the connection of this image to the puzzle?

4. scchua says:

Hi grandpuzzler and Robi, I make them more difficult and you keep getting them!
    Pic#5 is wine and bottles stored SIDEWAYS.
    Here’s Caterina Valente, a singer with a powerful voice worth another listen:

PS working on your pic, Robi, vaguely familiar.

5. Thomas99 says:

I normally avoid making negative comments if I can but I simply can’t come up with a defence of 22a, especially for a beginner’s puzzle. Can anyone else? The problem is the definition – it has to be “Go indirectly”, I think – there’s nothing else for “go” to do. And I don’t see how that can be anything other than a verbal phrase. Can “sideways” be verbal? “I sidewaysed to the other side of the room”?

Without the “Go” the clue would be fine, and suitable for a Quiptic. I’m hoping it’s some sort of typo.

6. Robi says:

Thomas99; I see what you mean but could you not read this as: ‘Go, indirectly, by perimeter roads,’ where the definition is ‘indirectly?’ Not Ximean and it might be better as: ‘Indirectly go by perimeter roads.’ Leaving ‘go’ out would, in my opinion, produce a rather ugly surface.

7. Robi says:

Should have been Ximenean above.

In case anyone is still worried or interested, the link with my picture can be found at:

8. scchua says:

Thanks, Robi. I failed miserably – long after my time, I’m afraid.

9. David Travis says:

I had CIRCUITS for 22a which made the SW quadrant a little difficult… Thanks scchua for the blog.