Financial Times 13,999 by Loroso

Posted by PeeDee on May 9th, 2012

PeeDee.

I have not seen Loroso before, so it was nice to get something new.  Not too difficult, but elegant.  I liked his clueing style, no stray words or dodgy definitions here.

Hold the mouse pointer over any clue number to read the clue.

1 AIRHEADS RHEA (bird) in AIDS (is helpful)
5 BENGAL BEN (mountain) LAG (trail) reversed
9 RAPTORES anagram of E (first of eagles) and PARROTS – a former order of birds, this classification has been abandoned (i.e. grouped wrongly)
10 SHARIF HAS* (anagram=rocky) and RIFf (guitar line) shortened
12 FROCK F (loud) ROCK (music)
13 KNOW-IT-ALL WIT (intelligence) and A in KNOLL (a barrow, hill)
14 PIPPIN I (one, roman numeral) PP (pages, leaves) in PIN (to place) – type of apple
16 MOISTEN jOISTs (timber, ends trimmed) in MEN (soldiers)
19 GAGARIN R(runs) IN (home) following GAGA (potty)
21 TIMBRE B (start of break) in TIME – definition is ‘ring’, the quality of a sound
23 IMPAIRING I (one, roman numeral) M (married) PAIRING (couple)
25 VISOR VISitOR (guest) missing ‘it’
26 THURSO U (uranium) in SHORT* (anagram=supply, being supple)
27 FOOTNOTE (OFTEN TOO)*
28 RODENT DEN (lair) in ROT (rubbish)
29 STOLIDLY LOST* (anagram=moved) IDLY (slowly)
1 ADRIFT AD (commercial) RIFT (break)
2 REPROVING REP (salesman) and ROVING (travelling) – defionition is ‘carpeting’
3 E-BOOK OBE (order) reversed (raised) and OK (in order)
4 DOESKIN DOES (cleans out) KIN (one’s own, family)
6 ETHNICISM (NICE THIS)* and M (marks) – pagan superstition or heathenism
7 GARDA DRAG (creep) reversed (up) on A – an Irish police officer
8 LIFELINE L (long) I (island) FELINE (cat)
11 ROOM MOO (low, like a cow) R (first of rent) reversed
15 PARKINSON KIN (family) again in PARSON (priest) – C. Northcote Parkinson, naval historian and creator of Parkinson’s law: work expands to fill the time available.
17 THRESHOLD THRESH (flog) OLD (antique)
18 AGLITTER AG (silver, chemical symbol) LITTER (fragments)
20 NAIF (IN A)* anagram=dancing and F (foxtrot, phonetic alphabet)
21 TUGBOAT G (first of glass) BOA (snake) in TUT (Tutankamen, pharaoh) – a boat that tows things in the water
22 ARTERY A and TER (terrace, row of houses) in (bounded by) RY (railway)
24 POUND double definition – pound Sterling and to beat
25 VITAL reversed in reLATIVity

*anagram

7 Responses to “Financial Times 13,999 by Loroso”

1. anax says:

Grrrr. Before anyone else mentions it, my apologies for KIN = one’s own/family appearing twice. 15d was edited before publication and I forgot about the use at 4d. Eye off the ball!

2. crypticsue says:

Very nice – the least tricky of Mr Mayer’s three puzzles over the last two days. Perhaps it might have been better to have had this one first, then the Toughie and then the full bore darkened room requiring Indy third! Very enjoyable as usual, thank you Mr M with lots to make me smile especially the water tower. I hadn’t noticed the KIN twice! Thanks to PeeDee too.

3. PeeDee says:

Anax – thanks for dropping in, I did not realize you are also Loroso.

Crypticsue – I’ll try the Indy puzzle next!

4. crypticsue says:

PeeDee – be afraid, be very afraid… and have the darkened room ready!

5. Sil van den Hoek says:

On a day where one has the choice between Bonxie (who is normally not on my wavelength), Dac (whose puzzle I can do tomorrow, I still have two more Dacs left on the shelf) and Loroso (who’s that? :)), it is very tempting to tackle the much admired Loroso.
    But we went for Bonxie, so I had to do this crossword all by myself tonight (with one eye on the puzzle, the other on the Europa League final).

I enjoyed it very much (as always with Loroso).
    Not too hard, but cleverly clued.
    As was yesterday’s Anax – that is, as far as I came. A third of that puzzle is still staring at me – I can hear these squares crying out loud: please, fill our empty spaces. :)

Yep, two KINs, but I couldn’t be bothered.
    Crossword Compiler should have blocked that.
    There was another kind of couple, too: TIMBER (16ac)/TIMBRE (21ac).
    16ac: normally ‘trimmed’ means cutting the last letter off, isn’t it? I took ‘timber’ as ‘joist’ (singular) and had a strange feeling coming over me, having to delete the first letter. Perhaps, indeed, PeeDee, your plural is preferable and/or what’s intended.

In the TIMBRE clue (21ac), I was not completely happy with BR for ‘starts to break’ as the word ‘break’ has only one starter.

Yuri Gagarin was, in my opinion, what we called a Cosmonaut in those days (Astronauts were Americans), but who cares.

Thanks, PeeDee, for the blog of this splendid crossword and for explaining PIPPIN (14ac), the one entry that I couldn’t parse.

6. PeeDee says:

Hi Sil. I took start in ‘starts to break’ as a plural noun rather than a verb, i.e. ‘more than one starter’.

7. Sil van den Hoek says:

PeeDee, I took it like that, too.
    But I am not sure whether the word ‘break’ has more than one start.
    I know what Loroso means, of course.