Posted by Ringo on May 24th, 2012
Sorry I’m late; had to do some last-minute work on [PLUG ALERT] my forthcoming book on the history of toilet paper.
Reliance on lengthy themed solutions always puts me in rather a bad humour; this, plus an overdose of DDs and remove-and-grind clues, rather soured me on Gaff’s ‘anniversary puzzle’. Still, no technical complaints (save an ornithologist’s cavil at 4,27) and a couple of belters – so thanks, Gaff.
Although I have to ask – exactly what anniversary are we celebrating here?
ADDENDUM: I see that the latest incarnation of Westminster Bridge was officially opened on this day in 1862. Apologies for my ignorance…
9. RHODOLITE Anagram of bloodthirstier minus letters of Brits
10. PLAIN Double definition
11. DREADED Double definition; Rastafarians wear their hair in dreadlocks
12. RANCOUR Sounds like ranker [soldier]
13. ETA Double definition, alluding to the Greek character and the Basque separatist army
14. See 6.
17. ERROR E [English] + RR [Rolls-Royce, car] + OR [operator]
18. COS Kind of lettuce hidden in tabasCO Sauce
19,28,26. GRAND THEFT AUTO GR [George Rex, king] + and + the FT [us] + Au [gold] + to to give the controversial video game; a marvellous charade
21, 20, 24, 2. EARTH HAS NOT ANYTHING TO SHOW MORE FAIR Anagram of aghast at her information theory shown to give the initial line of Wordsworth’s Composed Upon Westminster Bridge
23. YET Last letters of certaintY likE facT
25. ORIGAMI Cryptic definition: increases has to be read in creases
27. SWATHES Double definition
28. See 19.
29. THEREUNTO Anagram of e(vangelising) one truth
1. See 6.
2. See 21.
3. WORDSWORTH Jobsworth [irritating employee] with job [position] replaced with Word [Microsoft software]
4,27. BIRD SEED Cryptic definition, rendered unsatisfactory by the fact that the swallow is an insectivore
5. PERRY MASON Perry [pear cider, drink] + mason [member of order of freemasons] to give the fictional lawyer
6,14,1. UPON WESTMINSTER BRIDGE Anagram of Downing Street bum Piers to give the poem written by Wordsworth on September 3, 1802
7. CAVORT Reversal of (Il) Trova(tore) [opera] + c(ompany)
8. INFRARED Anagram of fundraiser minus us
15. SOCIALISTS CIA [spies] + list [pitch] within SOS [call for help]
16. NEGOTIATED Anagram of toga it within need [desire]
17. EYETOOTH Sounds like it appears in the spoken phrase (b)y two-th(irty) – a nice innovation
20. See 21
22. RAISED Double definition
24. See 21.
26. See 19.
27. See 4.