Independent 7993 by Quixote

Posted by NealH on May 28th, 2012

NealH.

A fairly straightforward Monday puzzle. It was very accessible today with only 14 down containing a slightly unusual word.

1 Joseph: J + hopes*.
4 Adorer: Ado + R + ER.
9 Nearby: Yearn* around b(ook).
10 Plumbago: Plum + bag + o (=round).
11 Spirits: Spits around Ir.
13 Haywire: Hay + wire.
14 Feather Ones Nest: CD, punning on down=feather.
16 Supernaturalism: (Lure man upstairs)*.
19 Lunatic: (Cult Ian)*, although the word may be on its way out.
21 Stipend: Send around tip.
23 Globally: G + ally around lob.
24 In Hand: DD, referring to clubs in a hand of cards.
25 Eighty: DD, eighty being both a score which is less than 100 and also 100 minus 20.
26 Bridle: Hom of bridal.
1 Janus: J + a + sun<.
2 Stamina: St + a + min(ute) + a.
3 Publisher: Blis[s] in up< + her.
5 Delphiniums: (is in mud help)*.
6 Rummy: Rum + my!
7 Realise: Rise around ea(ch) + l.
8 Momentum: Mum around o(ld) men + t[remble].
12 Sir Lancelot: (Ancestor I’ll)*.
14 Fuselage: Lag in fusee, which is an old type of match.
15 Stationer: (One artist)*.
17 Pinhole: (Nil hope)*.
18 Iceland: I + c + eland.
20 Twang: Gnat< around w[all].
22 Dodge: Do + d[o]g + E(cstasy).

10 Responses to “Independent 7993 by Quixote”

1. flashling says:

Fusee was a new one for me, but otherwise a nice Monday Quixote to get us up and running for the week. Liked the anagram at 16a, thanks Neal & Q

2. Dormouse says:

Not much to say about this. Solved it steadily, didn’t even have to pick up the dictionary, although maybe I should have, as I see I spelled “delphiniums” wrong – should have checked off the letters in the anagram.

I thought I knew “fusee” but checking the dictionary now I may have been confusing it with the musket meaning, thought it was a match used for firing a firearm.

3. nmsindy says:

Thanks, NealH, and Quixote. Yes, I too found this very accessible and enjoyable. BTW, while Iceland is indeed a cold country as defined, I think I read somewhere that the derivation of the name in their language just comes from the word for an island. Favourite clues – the two 15-letter across ones.

Struggled a bit with this one. Bad hair day, perhaps, because there was nothing outrageous. I did like MOMENTUM, although there might be some who might find ‘old woman’ for ‘mum’ as not entirely appropriate. There’s a teenage mother in our village, for example …

Thanks to both setter and blogger.

5. Bertandjoyce says:

Well, not many comments today but a straightforward start to the week. A few clues which didn’t quite hit the mark although they were perfectly fair. Still, we didn’t have to resort to a dictionary but we weren’t sure how you parsed 14d – as we hadn’t come across fusee before.
    Looking at the number of the puzzle, we’re wondering if we are in for a treat next Tuesday.
    Thanks Quixote and NealH.

6. Rorschach says:

Is it solipsistic in here or is it just me?

Solid puzzle I guess!

7. flashling says:

I saw no. 3000 have a Nina, B&J but don’t remember any since, Dac’s 400th did as did Phi 1000 but blogger for #8000 should probably be on the lookout.

@Rorschach well it does get a bit quiet here at times, bloggers and setters tend to be correct so there are less reasons to comment (and the paper has a low readership alas)

Perhaps Q and the other Monday setters need to make it harder, with Eimi’s permission of course.

8. Quixote etc says:

My Monday Indy puzzles will stay at their current level of difficulty thank you very much (and with my editor’s blessing). It’s no having very good solvers as bloggers trying to drive up levels of difficulty all the time. You may even be doing the wider solvership a disservice. As it is, The Independent has its fair share of harder puzzles, as shown by NMS’s study. That said, you may find me a touch harder in my Guardian avatar on Wednesday. (Incidentally the Indy puzzle now has quite a respectable circulation with te adven of the i).

9. flashling says:

Sorry Q I didn’t really mean that – I’ve seen your Mephistos I know you can set tough, twas just a quiet muse I should have kept silent.

10. Quixote etc says: