Financial Times 14,019 by Bradman

Posted by Jed on June 1st, 2012

Jed.

Quiet flows the Don – this guy’s waters are deep but fathomable (except 24d)

ACROSS

1 INVESTIGATION probe, one gun I GAT in IN VEST I ON one being worn

9 VINCENT boy, French wine VIN currency CENT

10 PARABLE story RAB Baron of Saffron Walden in PALE feeble

11 TRACT dd

12 INCLEMENT more severe INCREMENT a bit changing R to L

13 SPINS OUT prolongs (presume fast bowlers don’t spin)

15 KINDER dd

16 DERRING-DO audacious action ERRING in ODD<

17 BOGEYMAN monster BOG E[vening] (MANY)*

18 PANAMA country A N in PA MA

20 DEMERIT fault ER hesitation in DEMIT resign

21 FINISH polish off IN in FISH Friday food for some

23 CURSE excommunication S in CURE

24 PINES trees – that have needles …?

( )* = anagram    < = reverse    [ ] = omit    dd = double definition

8 Responses to “Financial Times 14,019 by Bradman”

1. sidey says:

Spines are needles, with the beginning fallen off = PINES.

2. mike04 says:

Thanks for the blog, Jed.

12ac: I wonder if the INCLEMENT/INCREMENT decision held other people back
    during solving? It’s usually fairly obvious in retrospect!

24dn: Trees: PINES and ‘needles beginning to fall’: (S)PINES?

3. Pelham Barton says:

The first time this week I have been able to afford the luxury of a lunch break and this was just what I needed, so thanks Bradman and Jed for the blog. Favourite clue 18ac.

4. maagran says:

12ac I parsed as defn= “A bit more” derivation= “severe (inclement) after change of direction” gives INCREMENT
    6d Please explain why aged is AE

5. Pelham Barton says:

Further to earlier comments on 12ac, I agree with maagran@4 that the answer should be INCREMENT.

6dn: ae is given in Chambers (2008 is the edition I have to hand) as an abbreviation for the Latin aetatis meaning of his or her ages, and hence aged (so many years).

6. mike04 says:

12ac: I plumped for INCLEMENT but I’m not very sure.
    I’d be interested to hear from Bradman!

7. Bradman says:

INCREMENT was intended

A bit more = def which is

inclement after change of direction (subside indication)

I can see that a case could be made out for inclement but I would always put the def at one end.

Sorry to those whose fun was spoilt and thanks for the feedback.

8. mike04 says:

I’ve been out since 5.30 pm. Thanks very much for replying, Bradman.
    Mike