Everyman No. 3426 (3rd June)

Posted by The Trafites on June 10th, 2012

The Trafites.

Lorraine:  Good morning all,

lots of very well rounded clues this week. I didn’t have my crossword head on this week though as I needed Nicks help with one or two of the clues.

Big thanks to Everyman for a very enjoyable solve.

1. Destructive insect from place close to croft (6)
LOCUST LOCUS[a place, location etc.]+(crof)T
4. Don’t agree with article (6)
OBJECT dd
8. Troops surrounding our arsenal (7)
ARMOURY ARMY around OUR
10. A channel, after six, showing a type of bridge (7)
VIADUCT (A DUCT) after VI
11. Boy on pitch wearing hat (9)
TARPAULIN (PAUL after TAR)+IN[wearing]
12. Marvellous one, a character in Ugly Betty (5)
FABIA FAB+I+A
google to the rescue here – see this LINK
13. Come close to rough (11)
APPROXIMATE dd
15. Plotter studies airport surreptitiously (11)
CONSPIRATOR CONS+(AIRPORT*)
19. Drink containing very soft fruit (5)
APPLE ALE around PP[very soft]
20. Attendants argue dreadfully after note translated (9)
ENTOURAGE (ARGUE*) after (NOTE*)
22. Type of humour OK in G&S (7)
GALLOWS ALLOW[ok] in GS
23. Subjugate Eastern European in endless trap (7)
ENSLAVE E+(SLAV in NE(t))
24. Go round in foxtrot at ‘Empress’ (6)
ROTATE hidden: foxtROT AT ‘Empress’
25. A capital city since about that time (6)
ATHENS AS around THEN
1. Slowly describing a skillion (4-2)
LEAN-TO LENTO[slowly] around A
2. Chapter on Italian region and English county (7)
CUMBRIA C+UMBRIA
Umbria from wikipedia
3. Salvation Army girl in steam bath (5)
SAUNA SA+UNA
5. Party head quick to embrace English (9)
BEANFEAST BEAN[head]+(FAST around E)
6. European queen, clever, calm and even-tempered (7)
EQUABLE E+QU+ABLE
7. It is twice raised by an Italian artist (6)
TITIAN (IT< twice)+AN
9. Red-tops in cowardly campaign (6,5)
YELLOW PRESS YELLOW+PRESS[campaign]
newspapers like the sun, the mirror etc.[red-tops]
10. Dressing viscountess, initially, in plumed headdress (11)
VINAIGRETTE V+IN+AIGRETTE[plumed headdress]
14. Write exam about county for Whitsuntide (9)
PENTECOST PEN+(TEST around CO)
15. Top university rented Juliet’s house (7)
CAPULET CAP+U+LET
google helps again – the house of Capulet
16. All are drunk with auberge finally serving up traditional beer (4,3)
REAL ALE (ALL ARE*)+(auberg)E
17. Pester poor German (6)
BADGER BAD+GER
18. Level pegging on board in game (6)
SEVENS EVEN in SS
21. Trouble leading group (5)
UPSET UP+SET

9 Responses to “Everyman No. 3426 (3rd June)”

1. Davy says:

Thanks Lorraine,

Sorry Everyman but I didn’t particularly enjoy this offering although I thought GALLOWS was great.
    My initial impression of the grid was “where’s the rest of the crossword gone ?”. The four large
    dark areas certainly gave it a strange look and disappointingly, today’s grid is similar. Please
    bring back a more normal grid. Thanks.

2. Bamberger says:

Either Everyman is getting harder or I’m getting worse. I made even less progress with this than the week before which I described as the hardest I could remember.
    For Everyman I don’t use a dictionary/solver or anagram solver so if I can’t solve a clue that is that.
    1d I had no idea what a skillion was . Did everyone else know?
    5d How common is bean =head? Again something I’ve never come across.
    10d Plumed headdress =aigrette
    11a I knew a tarpaulin to be something you cover a hay bale with but not a hat. When did anyone last say “Wow does that tarpaulin suit him/her?”
    12a I think this is the worst clue I have ever seen. I had no idea Ugly Betty was a TV programme and even if I did why should I know the characters? Whatever next ? Characters from East Enders?
    15d To me far too obscure for Everyman
    18d I guessed sevens but while I know that a ship is SS , how does on board =SS please?

Now I am fully aware that there is little sympathy in crosswordland for not knowing a word. But this is Everyman and I think that there should be a sporting chance that the weaker solver has heard of it. if Everyman wants to toughen up, I’ll do the Telegraph instead.

3. Robi says:

Thanks Lorraine; I didn’t have time to look at this last weekend.

In reply to Bamberger – I don’t know skillion, aigrette or tarpaulin as a hat. There are often words I don’t know in the crosswords and some of the charm, I think, is to use a dictionary to look them up and find what they mean. I wouldn’t have known FABIA from Ugly Betty, but given the F?B?A and a precise clue, I don’t think it would have been difficult to guess FABIA. On board=SS is a standard crossword abbreviation, unfortunately. I hope this is of some help. :)

4. rhotician says:

On board = in SS.

Thanks, Lorraine.

I too didn’t know skillion, or tarpaulin in that definition, but as Robi says, sometimes the pleasure is in solving the clue from the wordplay and then looking up in the dictionary. Aigrette I vaguely knew, but if you’d worked out that the first three letters were VIN, then there aren’t many dressings that fit that word pattern.

The Ugly Betty clue … well, perhaps not. But again, it couldn’t be much other than FABIA.

But there was much to enjoy: APPLE and ARMOURY are good examples of clues for a puzzle that’s intended for less experienced solvers. Have they been around the block a bit? Yes. Does that matter? In an Everyman, in my opinion, no.

6. Lorraine says:

I agree with Kathryn’s dad, half the fun is using the dictionary and learning new words or meanings.

Thanks for all your comments always good to get feed back.

7. Paul B says:

Well, FABIA was definitely a new word for me (!), but with FAB I A pretty much a giveaway I agree with The Trafites. A nice puzzle and an enjoyable solve.

8. Donna says:

There were several new (to me, at least!) words in this enjoyable puzzle, and yet I was able to solve it in one sitting, with the aid of Chambers, of course! I’d never heard of a “beanfeast,” and will strenuously avoid further familiarization with said event! Not my idea of a party! Just like many others, I’d never heard of “tarpaulin” as hat, but what an interesting picture it conjures up! Same goes for “aigrette” and our friend Fabia (the female Fabio?) At 16 Down I fought off thinking that “auberge” was a partial serving of eggplant!
    Thank you, Everyman and Lorraine! By the way, I am struggling with this week’s Everyman, but at least I have a whole week to work on it! Best wishes to all!

9. Ben Tombs says:

I’m afraid we finally succumbed to searching for Fabia, who we in New Zealand are not familiar. The Yellow Press also required a deal of southern hemispherical imagination!!!
    Many thanks.